Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Modifications and Upgrades
Click Here to Login

Old 05-04-2011, 04:16 PM   #1
Smitty

Maxair install

Been busy again. Finally installing all my Christmas gifts. This one was for the John. First of all the weather was pretty good here in Upper Michigan today, actually got up to around 60 degrees so I thought this thing is going in while the going is good.
Before:Click image for larger version

Name:	Orig Vent.jpg
Views:	199
Size:	94.6 KB
ID:	374
Step 1. Had to remove all the old caulk around the existing bathroom vent
Click image for larger version

Name:	Maxxair 001.jpg
Views:	190
Size:	86.8 KB
ID:	375,Click image for larger version

Name:	Maxxair 004.jpg
Views:	212
Size:	77.7 KB
ID:	376
Getting the caulk off of the old vent was not too bad of a job. Loosed the edges on the metal trim with a small screw driver, once they edges were loose, I rolled them back toward the roof with my thumbs until all of the metal was exposed on the old vent trim. I did not want to touch the outer edge with any tools as I did not want to compromise the rubber roof membrane. After the edges were exposed, backed out all screws and gently removed the old vent. Previous to this, I did remove the white trim inside and disconnected the power to the fan. Next was getting the rest of the caulk off of the rubber roof. Now this was a little harder. It seems to me that the two became one. Just a lot of finger work, agaiin no tools.
After that was cleaned up, there was very little residue left.
Step 2. Next was to install the new unit. I purchased one with a white cover and this unit has a remote control for operation. Installing was pretty straight forward. On the new trim, I laid down a bead of butal caulk. This came in a roll which I just stuck to the underside of the new vent trim, the other side had a paper backing that I just removed. This caulk is about an inch wide. Once this was put on I just put the new trim into the hole and screwed it down with the new screws included with the Maxair vent. Next I put down a lot of self leveling caulk (made for rubber roofs) and caulked the heck out of it. Covered all the new screw heads and put a lot around the edge of the new trim (I did say a prayer before I did this and asked the good Lord for no leaks), we'll see. After the trim was installed the vent just lays on the top of it and is held in by four screws, (two on each side) that screw into metal clips on the new plastic trim piece.
Here's two pictures, one of the Maxair installed on the roof and the other view from inside the fifth wheel.

Name:	Maxxair 006.jpg
Views:	202
Size:	83.7 KB
ID:	377,Click image for larger version

Name:	Maxxair 011.jpg
Views:	257
Size:	96.3 KB
ID:	378
After attaching the two wires to the leads that the old one were attached to, I put the power back on and low and behold, everything worked.
There, another one off of the list.
Old 05-04-2011, 04:18 PM   #2
Smitty

Picture of remote

I'll add a picture of the remote too for the fan/vent I put in.

Name:	Maxxair 012.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	83.4 KB
ID:	379
Just for reference, the whole job took 3 hours.
Old 05-04-2011, 04:42 PM   #3
Paddler

Nice job! Thanks for posting the pictures along with the comentary.
Old 05-05-2011, 01:44 PM   #4
msp2jxr

Still waiting for my trailer.

Thanks for the great pics! I am still waiting for my MKS 326 to show up. I want to put the same vent my new trailer. I was wondering the easiest way to get rid of the old calk without tearing the rubber roof.
2012 Cougar 326MKS (retired)
Mor-Ryde Pin Box
2015 Super Duty F350 6.7 4x4 King Ranch
2008 Super Duty F250 6.4 Diesel 4x4 Lariat (retired)
2005 Goldwing
msp2jxr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 04:09 PM   #5
Smitty

Lots of finger work. Like I said in my post it rolled off of the metal trim fairly well but getting it off the rubber membrane was more difficult. The caulk seemed to become part of the roof. Was very very careful about pulling on it as the rubber seemed to come right up with it. I used more of a rolling method just using my fingers, again no tools. Just be patient. The whole job only took 3 hours. Maybe someone has a better method, again my main concern was not to tear anything.
Old 06-24-2011, 10:51 PM   #6
Maxzd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty View Post
Lots of finger work. Like I said in my post it rolled off of the metal trim fairly well but getting it off the rubber membrane was more difficult. The caulk seemed to become part of the roof. Was very very careful about pulling on it as the rubber seemed to come right up with it. I used more of a rolling method just using my fingers, again no tools. Just be patient. The whole job only took 3 hours. Maybe someone has a better method, again my main concern was not to tear anything.
I installed 3 of these on my unit. Two manual and one remote model in the high ceiling. I used a plastic Drywall knife/scraper and just took my time. I wanted the cleanest surface possible for the new units to adhere to. Some spots as smitty says it's manual using your fingers and patience...

2003 Dodge Ram 3500
5.9L Cummins Diesel
2011 Cougar 325 SRX
Maxzd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 02:09 AM   #7
dave-g

how did you get power to the high ceiling vent? was there power there from the factory?
dave-g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 03:34 AM   #8
Ruffus

Thumbs up Power

I spliced into one of the lights by the vent.
Curt Q24 hitch for in bed puck system
Fulltimng.
Ruffus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 09:12 AM   #9
Smitty

I had power already since I replaced the factory fan unit that was installed in the bathroom. I'd like to eventually replace the one in the galley as the ceiling is so high I cannot reach to crank it open or shut. I think I could do the same as Jim on that one and splice into the light wire as it looks look like the lights run parallel next to the existing vent.
Old 06-27-2011, 09:26 AM   #10
hankpage
Site Team

When I installed mine I found several wires running through the living room ceiling. I tested for power on several wires then tapped into the heaviest one, installed an in-line fuse just large enough for the fan. If you want to look before you buy a fan, you can just remove the inside vent trim and reach in to search for wires than test to see if they are controlled by switches or not. My ceiling lights are all on one switch. JM2¢, Hank
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 11:44 PM   #11
Maxzd

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave-g View Post
how did you get power to the high ceiling vent? was there power there from the factory?
Yup same as ruffus I spliced into the light for power.

2003 Dodge Ram 3500
5.9L Cummins Diesel
2011 Cougar 325 SRX
Maxzd is offline   Reply With Quote