Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Modifications and Upgrades
Click Here to Login

Old 03-28-2024, 12:52 PM   #1
Voylyn

Mini splitter

Hello, has anyone put in a mini splitter to supplement their air conditioning? I understand they can decrease your electric bill. I’m currently in Mesa and wondering would an HVAC person work versus a mobile RVtech.
Voylyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2024, 01:16 PM   #2
77chev

I assume you mean a mini split. I have seen one mini split installed in a 5th wheel only disadvantage I see is the compressor takes up storage space. I do know that they are a lot more efficient
77chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2024, 02:42 PM   #3
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77chev View Post
I assume you mean a mini split. I have seen one mini split installed in a 5th wheel only disadvantage I see is the compressor takes up storage space. I do know that they are a lot more efficient
A mini split is far more efficient than a roof top RV A/C. Problem is finding room for the inside unit and mounting the compressor; on a bumper pull, up by the A frame and batteries and on a 5th wheel I guess you could weld a mount on the frame so it sits in the rear without bouncing out going down the road. You will need an HVAC installer to evacuate the lines before adding refrigerant and an RV tech won't have the tools or skills. You would be best to do it yourself if you don't want to pay an HVAC person; youtube videos show how to use a pump and add the refrigerant. It isn't that hard.

You will need to buy a 110V unit and connect to a pedestal's 110V outlet using a separate power cord. Not sure what RV you own so can't say if you would be safe plugging into one of the coach's A/C outlets. I run a portable 14.5K btu portable A/C when it is hot outside and vent it out a window and connect directly to the pedestal with a 12ga extension (outdoor) extension cord.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2024, 06:57 PM   #4
wogg

Putting a Mini Split in my 5th wheel was the best mod I have ever done. Any questions feel free to ask.
wogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2024, 08:55 PM   #5
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by wogg View Post
Putting a Mini Split in my 5th wheel was the best mod I have ever done. Any questions feel free to ask.
Interesting. Where did you put the compressor (outside part). Is this a 110V unit (must be) and how do you connect it to power? I have a 30A camper and would run a separate line and plug into the power pedestal. The inside part is mounted where? Show some pictures and some explanation please.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote