Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone RV Customer Comments > Keystone RV Service & Warranty Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 09-26-2011, 08:05 PM   #1
Montana3650

Cool Peeling Decals - Montana

I have a 2005 3650 Montana, and the decals are peeling off pretty bad. I store it outside in an RV storage lot. There's a couple of other 05 Montanas stored there as well. Their decals look like new. I take very good care of my unit. I do wash it, at least once a year. I use the RV wash & wax that you can pick up at Wal-Mart. And that product states that it is safe to use on decals. I do not pressure wash at all. So why are the decals peeling off? Buying a new set is just about $1200.00. To have the peeling decals removed and the new ones installed is another $1500.00 to $2000.00 dollars. As for painting the graphics on...that will be very expensive. I already asked someone and was shocked. As I look around at other brands, Forestriver, Fleetwood, just to name a few I really don't see a problem with their decals. I really like my unit, for being six years old, everything on it works very well. I haven't had any problems. Knock on wood. Here in the first part of October I'm pulling my Montana out to Keystone RV and let them see how bad it really is. I don't want any money from them, I just want my Montana fixed.
Montana3650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 08:30 PM   #2
Festus2
Site Team

Peeling decals seemed to be a problem with certain Keystone RV's built around that time. If I am not mistaken, Keystone did switch to another brand of decals and the problem of peeling decals seemed to have lessened considerably.
I wish you well in your dealings with Keystone and hope that you can get your decals removed and replaced at minimum or no cost to you.
Old 09-27-2011, 03:11 AM   #3
JRTJH
Site Team

A number of owners here have reported very similar problems with decals on their Keystone products. Some report that Keystone sent them decals but they had to provide their own labor to remove/install them. Others report that Keystone refused to help, still others report that Keystone hasn't even answered their letters/phone calls.

What's the difference in these responses? Probably more than luck is involved.

ME THINKS that maybe you can catch more flies with honey than with vinegar.

Good luck when you get to the Keystone plant. Have you arranged an appointment or are you just going to show up?

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 08:58 AM   #4
LouSlugger

I feel your pain

Decals on my 2007 Fuzion in terrible shape, Keystone says warranty period was just one year. So I have been removing the decals and residual adhesive myself, using a 3-M stripe remover wheel first (attaches to standard drill) and then wiping area down with lacquer thinner (NOT paint thinner). It is a pretty slow process but a couple hours here and there and you'll be done. I actually like the cleaner look of fewer decals. No way I'm going to buy replacements unless they can guarantee they won't peel if properly cared for. Good luck.
LouSlugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 10:51 AM   #5
antiqfreq

All the decals on our 07' fiver were fine until about 9 months ago, then the front one (that hits the wind......so to speak) started peeling a little around the edges.

The DH decided to take it off and so it is gone. I have no intention of replacing it as it doesn't matter to me if it is there or not.

Maybe the next owner will want one there .........

Jo
ISSPRO pillar gauges
Pullrite 15K sliding hitch
2-Honda Eu2000i's in toolbox
2012 Polaris 400
2012 Polaris 330
antiqfreq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 08:13 PM   #6
Montana3650

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
A number of owners here have reported very similar problems with decals on their Keystone products. Some report that Keystone sent them decals but they had to provide their own labor to remove/install them. Others report that Keystone refused to help, still others report that Keystone hasn't even answered their letters/phone calls.

What's the difference in these responses? Probably more than luck is involved.

ME THINKS that maybe you can catch more flies with honey than with vinegar.

Good luck when you get to the Keystone plant. Have you arranged an appointment or are you just going to show up?
No I don't have an appointment, I'm just going to show up. Plead my case. Like I said, I'm not interested in the money, I just want my unit fixed to look nice again. It's so bad that it's really imbarasing to pull it down the road.
Montana3650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 10:00 PM   #7
JRTJH
Site Team

I havent heard of anyone getting Keystone to replace decals at the factory on a unit that far out of warranty. Maybe you'll be the first, but it might help to call ahead and get an appointment just so you have a "slot" to plead your case. With no appointment, you very well may be told that there's no availability to help you..... It's my understanding (someone correct me if I'm off base here) that the factory proper doesn't do any repair work but they have a contracted service center in another part of town that they pay to do the repair work for them.

Also, there are some Keystone decals available on Ebay. You might find some that would work on your trailer (assuming Keystone says NO to you) From what I've seen, the Ebay decals are fairly inexpensive, but that solution leaves you doing the work.

You say you're not interested in getting money from Keystone, but you are asking them to spend money to repair your 6 year old RV. They may, if you're lucky, offer to give you the decals that are damaged, but I wouldnt expect them to do any repairs unless you agree to pay for the work. I'd suspect that the labor rate at the factory is at least as much as your local dealer, maybe even more, so it might not be the bargain you are looking for.

Again, good luck, but don't get your hopes up too high that Keystone will take your trailer in and reapply the decals and send you on your way. It probably won't happen that way.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 09-28-2011, 07:37 AM   #8
Exsailor

Same issue

With my 2008 Montana, thankfully I caught it before warranty expired and dealer fixed. He mentioned that they had problems with decals and switched vendors. I agree with you, I would show up there and plead my case. At the very least they need to see it.

Exsailor from MS
2008 35 Ft Montana
2012 GMC Duramax Diesel
Exsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 10:57 PM   #9
Railcop345

Replacement Decals

I purchased a used 2008 Montana in 2011 that had the decals peeling from the slide side. The dealer worked with us and after I contacted Keystone, we sent them pictures and they sent us a complete set of decals, free. Of course since the unit is out of warranty, it is up to us to remove and replace. I removed them and will be paying to have the new ones installed.
Railcop345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 05:00 AM   #10
BoosTT

Some of the decals on my 2005 Zepplin are in poor shape too. I'm going to attempt to remove and replace one or two them myself this year.

Keystone no longer sells replacement decals for my model... no point of begging keystone for new stickers when they don't even have any.
BoosTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 06:06 AM   #11
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoosTT View Post
Some of the decals on my 2005 Zepplin are in poor shape too. I'm going to attempt to remove and replace one or two them myself this year.

Keystone no longer sells replacement decals for my model... no point of begging keystone for new stickers when they don't even have any.
Did you talk with Keystone Customer Service or just with your dealer's parts department? Many times, Keystone will notify dealers that the parts are "no longer available" but they still have a few parts of a set laying around on the shelf. Keystone seldom throws anything away from what I've seen in past converstations with customers and the factory.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 03-13-2012, 04:10 PM   #12
BoosTT

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
Did you talk with Keystone Customer Service or just with your dealer's parts department? Many times, Keystone will notify dealers that the parts are "no longer available" but they still have a few parts of a set laying around on the shelf. Keystone seldom throws anything away from what I've seen in past converstations with customers and the factory.
I've asked the dealer first then keystone.
BoosTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 05:24 PM   #13
JRTJH
Site Team

Then ebay may be your best bet now. Do an ebay search for RV Decals. I just did a search and had 14,406 hits. Hopefully some of them may be what you need. Good Luck !!!

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 03-26-2012, 06:38 AM   #14
Miller88310

It can be done!

We have a 2008 Montana that the decals stated peeling last year. I called Keystone customer service and was told to email them pictures. I was called the very next day and told that the company would take care of shipping me an entire set of graphics, but I would have to find and pay someone to remove and put them back on. After learning that it was going to be around $1500.00, I decided to do it myself. After three days of removal using a heat gun and adhesive remover, I applied the graphics with my wife's help in two days time. The rig looks brand new. It can be done! Good Luck!
Reese 16K Hitch
EU2000 Honda Generator
EU2000 Companion Honda Generator
Miller88310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 08:32 PM   #15
alaskalife

I purchased a new 08 Big Sky in 2009...a few months in southern heat and the decals were already peeling. I had them replaced under warranty but even more peeled after warranty expired. They all are cracking and peel now, but it lives in Alaska now so I guess it's to be expected.
Old 04-19-2012, 10:27 PM   #16
rhagfo

I our search for a good used RV, we found that the graphic decals were is all different degrees of deterioration. Some older units had great looking decals, and other newer units have bad graphics.

I my self wash down my 5er after almost every trip. Long handled wash brush (soft) and a 5gal bucket of Turtle wax wash/wax. This took about 15 minutes with the King, it takes about 25 now with the Canyon.
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 12:32 PM   #17
DPWilds

2008 Fuzion

I have a 2008 Fuzion that looks horrible from the outside because all the decals are pealing. When I contacted the company, I was told that, “Keystone has guidelines to insure fair and consistent administration of their goodwill offerings. Based on the age of your unit, Keystone is unable to participate with replacement decals for your RV”.
The age of my unit is four years. Why would I buy a new set of decals from the same people who do not stand behind their product?
Click image for larger version

Name:	2012-06-16_12-13-02_138a.jpg
Views:	740
Size:	39.3 KB
ID:	1484
DPWilds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 12:50 PM   #18
JBE-Dad

Quote:
Originally Posted by DPWilds View Post
I have a 2008 Fuzion that looks horrible from the outside because all the decals are pealing. When I contacted the company, I was told that, “Keystone has guidelines to insure fair and consistent administration of their goodwill offerings. Based on the age of your unit, Keystone is unable to participate with replacement decals for your RV”.
The age of my unit is four years. Why would I buy a new set of decals from the same people who do not stand behind their product?
Attachment 1484
That's strange, I have a 2009 Cougar 5th wheel and the decals were pealing just like yours. I contacted Keystone about 3 months ago and they sent me all new decals, I was told that it was my responsibility to get them replaced but they will supply. I removed the old and installed the new myself and even messed up on one and they sent another replacement for that one.

I can only say good things about that particular experience.

2015 Sprinter 316BIK
2015 Ford F150
JBE-Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 01:43 PM   #19
DPWilds

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBE-Dad View Post
That's strange, I have a 2009 Cougar 5th wheel and the decals were pealing just like yours. I contacted Keystone about 3 months ago and they sent me all new decals, I was told that it was my responsibility to get them replaced but they will supply. I removed the old and installed the new myself and even messed up on one and they sent another replacement for that one.

I can only say good things about that particular experience.
I did not expect anything but replacement decals. I was surprised by Keystone’s response. Their name and reputation is what is displayed on my RV.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2012-06-16_12-12-29_670a.jpg
Views:	314
Size:	33.5 KB
ID:	1485  
DPWilds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 05:33 PM   #20
sandry

peeling decals

Well I hope you have better luck than I did. Keystone did offer to pay half of the instilation cost but I said that a 3 year old unit should not have decals coming off.
sandry is offline   Reply With Quote