Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone RV Customer Comments > Keystone RV Service & Warranty Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 02-24-2013, 02:28 PM   #1
papaal70

Unhappy Keystone RV Customer

We purchased the trailer in July of 2010.After the 3rd trip we discovered a black mark on the carpet under the dining table.

Brought trailer back to Pan Pacific RV where I purched the trailer and they were unable or did not look for the cause. After my own investigation I found that the underlayment had peeled back exposing the adhesive and it was rolling on the carpet when I opened and retracted the slide-out and the dealers fix was to clean the carpet. I asked that Pan Pacific contact Keystone RV about the issue and after 3 attempts and escalating to the dealers general manager the GM agreed to contact Keystone.

When they did Keystone said the slide-out was out of alignment and it only had a 90 day warranty so they refused to repair the problem. I explained to Keystone that we only used it 3 times and by the time we discovered the problem it was out of warranty and if the slide out was out of alignment then that is a factory defect as well as the underlayment peeling back. After 4 attempts, 2 by Pan Pacific, 1 by me and 1 by the Good Sam Club Keystone RV refused to fix the problem.

Either Pan Pacific RV or Keystone could have extended a Good Customer fix on the problem but neither has stepped up. Images available upon request.
papaal70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 02:54 PM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

papaal70,

to the Keystone RV Forum. We're glad to have you join us. Most of our members have Keystone products and from a recent survery, 92% would buy another Keystone, so the majority are satisfied with their RV. It's unfortunate that you had problems. With anything manmade, occasionally there is a malfunction. Nobody here is affiliated with the Keystone Manufacturing Corporation. To my knowledge, nobody from Keystone monitors this website and there has not been anyone from Keystone answer any posts here. There's a RED disclaimer at the bottom of every page that we are not affiliated with Keystone or any of its companies.

Currently, Camping World is having a "slide maintenance" special. They advertise that they will adjust and provide regular maintenance on one slide for $74.00 The normal price is, I think $97.00. If you're still having problems with your slide, you may find that taking advantage of a service such as that might be better than doing additional damage to your RV.

Other than the slide issue, how you you like your Cougar?

Again, welcome to the forum, we invite you to look around, find topics that interest you and we look forward to hearing from you in the future.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 05:34 PM   #3
Outbackmel

Slide issue

I have a very similar, if not identical problem. I have been living with it for a year. Of course, ours went out of alignment after the warranty. Murphy's Law. I simply ensure any residue from the sticky belly cover is gone. I then put some very good tape over any exposed area on the underside. We leave our RV on site with slides extended MOST of the time. Soooo no rush to run to the dealership for repair.
But, I will get around to it. My number one priority is fixing or replacing a leaking tire before our trip in 10 days.
As with any toy, issues, and more issues! Some you live with, some you fix asap. I just spent $2000 last week repairing a factory weakness in my 2005 Harley. Avoiding the potential issue may have resulted in a total engine replacement. Again, do what you gotta do.
Smile and be happy!!
Outbackmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 01:26 PM   #4
camper 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by papaal70 View Post
We purchased the trailer in July of 2010.After the 3rd trip we discovered a black mark on the carpet under the dining table.

Brought trailer back to Pan Pacific RV where I purched the trailer and they were unable or did not look for the cause. After my own investigation I found that the underlayment had peeled back exposing the adhesive and it was rolling on the carpet when I opened and retracted the slide-out and the dealers fix was to clean the carpet. I asked that Pan Pacific contact Keystone RV about the issue and after 3 attempts and escalating to the dealers general manager the GM agreed to contact Keystone.

When they did Keystone said the slide-out was out of alignment and it only had a 90 day warranty so they refused to repair the problem. I explained to Keystone that we only used it 3 times and by the time we discovered the problem it was out of warranty and if the slide out was out of alignment then that is a factory defect as well as the underlayment peeling back. After 4 attempts, 2 by Pan Pacific, 1 by me and 1 by the Good Sam Club Keystone RV refused to fix the problem.

Either Pan Pacific RV or Keystone could have extended a Good Customer fix on the problem but neither has stepped up. Images available upon request.
Did you purchase the trailer new in 2010 and just now trying to get the warranty work or has this been going on for several years?
camper 2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 06:26 AM   #5
ewkearns

Quote:
Originally Posted by camper 2010 View Post
Did you purchase the trailer new in 2010 and just now trying to get the warranty work or has this been going on for several years?
What I read is that the OP bought the trailer, used it very little.... got the dealer to do a half hearted fix and after the 90 day warranty window, the dealer finally got Keystone involved, who declined repair citing the 90 day window.

My take on this is that the repair should have consisted of cleaning the carpet, which was done AND making an adjustment to the slide.... and here is my point:

OK, it was over a period of time exceeding the warranty, but the slide was cycled only 3 times during that period. The dealer wouldn't have been out any parts and the additional labor should have been trivial. How cheap would it have been to buy a bit of good will vs. creating a pissed off customer?

I guess everybody followed the rules, but nobody walked away happy. Whatever happened to common sense customer service?
2005 20' Angler CC
2005 17' G3 CC
ewkearns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 06:47 AM   #6
raytronx

This reinforces what I tell people when they ask what brand of RV to buy. I tell them more important than brand is what dealer you buy from. A good dealer would have taken care of the customer knowing that an unhappy customer is going to tell 10 times the people about their experience than a good one.

papaal70 if I was you I would write up a detailed blog post of what happened and post it on the web. Then email dealership to let them know its available to people searching the web for their company, also say you'll be spreading the word on social media. They may decide its not worth the lost sales and take care of your problem.

Just make sure not to lie and stick just to the facts, and don't name call.

Ray

2011 Keystone Cougar 276RLSWE
1994 Ford F350 7.3L IDI DRW

LoveYourRV.com
raytronx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 07:32 AM   #7
wincrasher

I guess I don't understand how a slide room only has a 90 day warranty. It's not a year like the rest of the trailer?
wincrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 09:00 AM   #8
JRTJH
Site Team

wincrasher,

Slide adjustment is only covered for the first 90 days (per Keystone). It's not in the actual "warranty" section of the owners manual, but if you look on page 54, you'll see the following:

"Periodically, during the normal course of operation, Slide-out systems and rooms will require • adjustment. This is covered under warranty the first ninety (90) days after original retail sale."

Seems that Keystone considers slide adjustment to be "routine maintenance" and will only fix it during the first 90 days.

As others have said, a "good" dealer would have adjusted it, kept the customer happy and most likely had a repeat sale. Now, the bitterness caused by refusing the repair, getting Trailer Life/Good Sam involved and having Keystone deny help (based on their policy) has made a bunch of people mad.

Fixing it the first time would have helped, and if it occurred during the first year, I'd have expected the dealer to adjust it (even though the 90 day window had expired), In the original post, the OP didn't say when he first notified the dealer. He only stated that he noticed the problem "after the third trip." That could have been 30 days after he bought the trailer or it could have been 3 years after he bought it. We just don't have all the facts and can't offer any objective advice. For all we know, his RV was 2.5 years old when he first complained, in which case, the dealer may have done the repairs with no warranty claim to be done, and the OP now wants Keystone to fix a 3 year old "routine maintenance" issue.

At any rate, to respond to your comment about slides being covered for one year during the warranty. No, Keystone only covers slide adjustment for 90 days.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 10:12 AM   #9
wincrasher

That is too bad. I wonder if the other manufacturers do the same thing.

When I picked up my Vantage last weekend, the dealer said something to effect that to bring the the trailer back within 90 days for "adjustments". I thought that was odd, but maybe it's a Keystone thing.

I do assume that if your slide was starting to actually come apart or have some other defect, that would be covered up to a year.
wincrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 12:50 PM   #10
papaal70

Thanks for the feedback and I understand. Just wanted others that are thinking of purchasing a trailer to be aware of some of the pitfalls when trying to deal with dealers or manufacturers.

I will check with camping world. When the dealer checked out the slide there was no indication of mis-alignment, but I may have it checked anyway because the damage is already done.

Other than that I like my trailer.

Thanks for the feedback, I totally understand, especially working in customer care for a major motorcycle parts company but still the customer care for Keystone was not what I expected.

We did purchase the trailer new in 2010 but the problem did not surface right away since we did not use the trailer only 3-4 times for the first 6 month. But once it did we spent about 3-4 months trying to get the dealer and Keystone to help and they did not.
papaal70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 04:03 PM   #11
mikell

We had a Keystone dealer 70 miles away and couldn't make a deal another 200 miles away and worse. Found one 300 miles away and gave us a GREAT DEAL. The one 70 miles away handled out warranty work no question ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ???
mikell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 12:51 PM   #12
rhminva

When we purchased our trailer last year (Passport 2910bh) we had the option of traveling to the midwest to pick one up at a great price. However, we chose to go with a local dealer that had a good reputation. We did pay a bit more, however the dealer has been very good to work with. The fixed an issue with roof (warranty) and also fixed the fresh water intake nozle that I had accidently broken, no charge. They also flushed by black tank, even though they new I was a newbie and just didn't understand proper tank maintenance required for keeping the sensors working, again no charge.

Had I not gone with a dealer that has a good reputation, I would have had a challenging time working with someone who I didn't buy the trailer from. Good customer service matters.
Old 03-05-2013, 05:35 PM   #13
Wayne

We tried to buy our current 5er from a local dealer. We had purchased our previous TT from this dealer & more than 2K in other RV stuff. We had only used their svc dept twice but were not thrilled.

We still preferred buying local but wanted to see the actual RV before purchasing. They said one was coming in & they would call. We dropped by a few wks later & they had one but it was sold. They had not called but said another was coming in one week or so. We had already priced & found one around 4K cheaper about 200 miles from us. The local guy didn't get one in so a month later we went to the other dealer, saw it & bought it.

We had 2 minor issues & lost our remote so I called to ask if the local dealer would give us svc. I explained that I had not purchased it from them; described the 2 warranty issues & said I also needed them to order a remote on my dime. They said no problem & sched it 1 1/2 wks later. I dropped it off & was told 3 days. I waited a week & called. They told me they might get to it the next wk. I told them I was sorry but we wanted to use the Rv & asked what happened that they couldn't get to it. I was told that they were only doing me a favor anyway. I asked if they had ordered the remote. They had not even looked at the order.

I would not have had a problem if they had told me up front that they would not do my warranty svc; but it ticks me off that they wasted my time & money hauling the Rv to them. If someone asks, I do my best to get them to go to another dealer.
2011 Ram Laramie 2500 CC 4X4 6.7 Cummins
Husky slide
2012 Cougar HC 299RKS

Remember, "No matter where you go, there you are" Buckaroo Banzai
Wayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 08:11 PM   #14
tsenior

I'm probably one of the 8% that wouldn't recommend another Keystone product. I've had a multitude of problems, and repeat problems. I really like my 5er...when it's not in the shop. I find it interesting that Keystone was able to diagnose your problem over the phone as an alignment issue when Pan Pacific didn't. Why of course, if it's an alignment issue then it won't be covered.
tsenior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 10:31 PM   #15
Festus2
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsenior View Post
I'm probably one of the 8% that wouldn't recommend another Keystone product. I've had a multitude of problems, and repeat problems. .
tsenior -

Judging by a few of your most recent posts, it would certainly appear that you have had issues with your RV and are taking every opportunity to let our members know about your negative feelings towards Keystone. Responding to a year-old post that speaks about issues some other member has had with his Keystone is an example of what I am referring to.

It's unfortunate that you have experienced re-occurring problems with your Keystone product and that it has spent an unusual amount of time being repaired. Having said that, it's not productive to repeatedly "bash" Keystone here on the forum. I believe that the members understand your frustrations but there is nothing to be gained by your repeated negative comments found in your recent posts.

Our members are not in a position to help you and your continuing negative posts do nothing to remedy your situation. If you have some constructive comments or criticism to share, then you should be speaking to the folks at Keystone.
Old 03-23-2014, 09:09 AM   #16
antiqfreq

Tsenoir,

Please let us know IF and WHEN you get your issues resolved.

I, too, am sorry to hear of your problems with your Keystone.

I just hope you get things worked out in the future or consider moving on to another product that you have better luck with.

Good luck in the future,

Jo
ISSPRO pillar gauges
Pullrite 15K sliding hitch
2-Honda Eu2000i's in toolbox
2012 Polaris 400
2012 Polaris 330
antiqfreq is offline   Reply With Quote