Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone RV Customer Comments > Keystone RV Service & Warranty Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 04-03-2014, 06:08 PM   #1
SkyPiGG

Couldn't pick up the new trailer. Too many problems.

I went to pick up our new Premier 30RIPR, and ran into so many issues during the demo that I told them to keep it, and I would pick it up after they fixed everything. The TV screen was cracked, One of the pantry doors was cracked and looked like it had been glued on. The table between the chairs had dried glue stuck to it. There was a stain on the sofa. The propane cover was missing a screw, and there were two scratches on the exterior. One was on a decal. They told me that Keystone wouldn't cover the decal scratch. Is that true??? I try not to be too fussy, but that scratch is gonna scream at me everytime I am camping. (see below)
SkyPiGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 06:21 PM   #2
AlbertaRvMan

Disappointing

Darn, that's disappointing to hear. Sorry.

Makes you wonder about the dealer trying to give you the unit in that condition, hopefully there not hiding any other major deficiencies.

I pick mine up in 2 weeks, I have to drive several hours, I hope my dealer has there act together, so far they have been amazing!
Old 04-03-2014, 08:47 PM   #3
theeyres

It's brand new! They better cover the scratch or I'd tell them to keep it. Maybe the dealer scratched it and he doesn't want to tell Keystone! Sorry to hear about all the problems.

2007 33.5' Arctic Fox Fifth Wheel used for full-timing for several years--now sold
2011 Hideout 23RKSWE that we now use for poking around local parks
2007 Chevy 3/4 ton diesel with Prodigy Brake Control
theeyres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 08:56 PM   #4
PARAPTOR
Site Team | Emeritus

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbertaRvMan View Post
Darn, that's disappointing to hear. Sorry.

Makes you wonder about the dealer trying to give you the unit in that condition, hopefully there not hiding any other major deficiencies.

I pick mine up in 2 weeks, I have to drive several hours, I hope my dealer has there act together, so far they have been amazing!
X2 on these comments/concerns

skypigg; Have you considered renegotiating the price or just walking away. Even if the price is lowered you will expect certain items to be fixed, you may be willing to live with some of the others.

Based on the information you provided I am surprised if not shocked that the dealer had the nerve to even call you in to look at it let alone pick it up. If the dealer is acting like this now in the sales stage what in the world is the dealer going to be like when you bring the unit back for warranty work. If the dealer thought your unit was good enough to call you in to look I would be concerned of the dealers evaluation of work quality and what to expect from that dealer down the road.

Do not know where you are in PA or what other dealers are in your area.
Reese 20K; Carlisle Radial Trail RH/HD; TPMS (12 Tires)

Veteran

PSU (GO LIONS)
PARAPTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 09:29 PM   #5
Festus2
Site Team

Unfortunately, it appears as though SkyPiGG is not in the "sales stage" any longer as the member traded in his Cougar for the Premier 30RIPR at an RV show one month ago according to one of his earlier posts. Consequently, any re-negotiations are probably out of the question at this point and "walking away" from an already completed deal is not an option at all.

We have no way of knowing what arrangements were made between the dealer and Keystone regarding the decal scratch so we can't answer your question, "Is it true? It would be my expectation that the scratches would be repaired - with or without authorization from Keystone. It never left the lot so you can't be held responsible for causing them.

If you haven't kept a written record of the defects, including the two scratches, I would start and keep a paper trail of all communication you have with the dealership. At some point, if they do not repair all the deficiencies that need fixing to your satisfaction, I would contact Keystone by letter and email and ask them to intervene on your behalf.

You might also ask to see the request that was sent to Keystone asking for authorization to repair these items and in particular the scratches. There should also be authorization from Keystone outlining which items were approved and which were not. Ask to see this as well. This authorization might all be in one document.

Hopefully, all of these items will be taken care of when you go in to pick it up. A phone call to them before you go pick it up asking if all of the items have been attended to - including the scratches - might be worthwhile.
Old 04-04-2014, 03:46 AM   #6
SkyPiGG

Festus is right, I am already locked in, but I haven't taken ownership technically since it hasn't left the lot. I could probably poke holes in the contract since they misrepresented the condition if I wanted to, but honestly, I don't want this to be held up in the legal system since I want to go camping this season!

I'm calling the manager today to see what he says. I think most of the stuff is probably due to that unit being in a show. I actually asked them that before I signed the contract, and they said it hadn't (again - misrepresentation).

The thing that kills me is that my 3 year old Cougar that I traded in is in better shape than my brand new one. That's not a good start.
Old 04-04-2014, 04:44 AM   #7
mguay

Did you take pics of all the issues? That would go a long way when the dealer refuses to fix what you are asking. I'm sure that if a pic of a cracked TV screen was to fall in the hands of Keystone with a note attached reading " This was how the unit was being delivered to the customer"...I would guess that it all would be fixed short order!

The other thing you might want to ask is that all the parts get rush shipped at the dealers expense as they should have noticed these things long before delivery. I had to order a cabinet door once and it took a month!

Good luck!
Keep us posted on what comes out of this!
Old 04-04-2014, 05:15 AM   #8
SAABDOCTOR

HI SKYPIGG. I DO UNDERSTAND KEYSTONE'S POSITION ON THE DECAL.It is not a defect! but the deal should make good on it as you did not put it there. shame on them for trying to deliver a "new unit" in that condition. hold your groud and if you must try to contact dmv. Here in ct the dmv acts quickly and they stand behind the consumer. I wish you the best of luck. Stand your ground you should get what you paid for not a beat up trailer.
2 RESCUE PUPS: SUSITNA AND CRYSTAL. RIP ALYESKA!
SAABDOCTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 08:48 AM   #9
SkyPiGG

Spoke to the owner. He was very receptive, and said they would fix everything including replackng the decal. We'll see if he is true to his word.

Thsnks for all the advice.
Old 04-08-2014, 01:38 AM   #10
richf28

Like to know the area in Pennsylvania this dealer is at. I am in the market for a new unit and dont want to run across these guys.

Rich and Deb
Erie, PA
2011 Ford Screw with Ecoboost
2010 Keystone Hornet 28RLS
Hensley Hitch
richf28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 03:06 AM   #11
dankent

well good to hear the owner is stepping up, hope that works out for ya. Sometimes these guys get told by managment to deny deny deny just to see who gives up and moves on. Must be ex insurance company employees hehe.

Current:
2014 Keystone Cougar 333MKS

Sold:
2012 Keystone Sprinter 255RKS
dankent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 05:25 AM   #12
Sivymp1

Oh man, I pick up my new Passport on Thursday. Hope mine is not like this I will be pissed!
1976 Jayco
Sivymp1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 07:12 AM   #13
gepaine

Glad to see that you may be on track to get everything fixed.

Here are some of my thoughts on the issue:

1. Since delivery has not been taken, what Keystone is or is not willing to pay for is irrelevant. You made a deal for a trailer in new condition and that is what you are entitled to.

2. I agree that it would be very difficult (but not impossible) to cancel the deal, but they owe you a specific model trailer in new condition - not necessarily the one with all the problems.

3. Regarding the assumption by a previous poster that Keystone is not responsible for the scratched decal because it is not a defect, if it was scratched at the factory, then it is a defect. (No one on this thread knows when the decal was scratched.)

2011 Keystone Cougar 24RKS
2007 Cadillac Escalade
Prodigy P2 Brake Controller
Past Trailer:
Forest River R-POD RP-175
Past Tow Vehicle:
2008 Toyota Sienna
gepaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 07:31 AM   #14
matandjen

Never accept something that does not meet your standards. I purchased my first Keystone fuzion in 2011 and what was delivered to me had a ton of major problems. The counter-top was scratched, there was a hole in the wall, one of the AC units was dead...etc..etc...

I worked with the dealer and eventually had them build me a new unit (with upgrades for my troubles). If you are willing to spend this kind of money, you deserve to get a good product. I didn't care if the dealership or keystone paid as long as it was not me.

Good luck with getting everything squared away and don't let them convince you to accept that unit until it meets every single one of your requirements.
matandjen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 03:32 PM   #15
SkyPiGG

Update: I gave them a very generous 30-days to resolve all the problems. My biggest concern was that they were not going to fix the decal. I got a confirmation yesterday that they ordered it and will replace it. This dealership is very busy, and I just have to call every once in awhile to make sure "the burner is still lit".

I also got assurances that the Sales Manager and the Service Manager will walk through the unit again to make sure there wasn't anything I missed.

I'm not going to identify the dealership because I think that lacks a certain decorum. I also thing it would piss them off, and that's not something I want to do at this point. As my wife says.. you have to play the game.

Thanks again for all the suggestions!

Sent from my T100TA using Tapatalk
Old 04-23-2014, 06:49 PM   #16
smarkley18

now u have me wondering...

My Goldendoodle, Bailey and I picked up our RIPR this weekend. We drove 200 miles to buy it sight unseen except for pictures from the dealership. I got the 30 minute checkout tour, thought about recording it with my phone cause I'm sure I won't remember everything. He pointed out a small mark on the fridge which frankly I wouldn't have noticed, but they were going to replace it. I'm sure on our first campout I'll go over it with a fine tooth comb.
Keeping my fingers crossed.

Steve/Teresa and Bailey (the doodle)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo (17).jpg
Views:	198
Size:	80.1 KB
ID:	5681   Click image for larger version

Name:	04 Harley Sportster 541.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	92.2 KB
ID:	5682  
smarkley18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 07:05 PM   #17
CampDestinations.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyPiGG View Post
I'm not going to identify the dealership because I think that lacks a certain decorum. I also thing it would piss them off, and that's not something I want to do at this point. As my wife says.. you have to play the game.
Once the sale is resolved or cancelled, please consider posting the dealership info. If they do right, the exposure here would be good for them. If they do wrong, you'd be doing the rest of us a favor. Keystone dealers aren't exactly a few miles away from each other some of us have to drive 1,2,3 or more hours from home to reach one. Help us all make sure we're not wasting that time and money.

Thanks much.

Wes
Old 04-26-2014, 02:51 AM   #18
robo

Skypigg. Yes after all done to you satifaction please reveiw the dealer exsperance with a positive reveiw. Anyone could search me to find a "world" of problems. It would be nice to see a smile at the end also. Hay they are making it rite. Give them props
robo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 06:06 PM   #19
SkyPiGG

Picking up the trailer this Saturday. Hopefully all the repairs will be done to my satisfaction. The Owner there has been really helpful moving things along. I called every week just to make sure I didn't move to the bottom of the list.

The dealership is Hitch RV. They have two locations. I bought the trailer from the Delaware location at The Philadelphia RV Show. Since I didn't want to drive all the way down there to pick it up, I arranged to have it delivered to their location in Southern New Jersey. They are friendly and cooperative, and have been around for a long time. They seem to do a good amount of business.

Sent from my T100TA using Tapatalk
Old 05-01-2014, 04:01 AM   #20
GaryWT

Good luck, hope it all goes as it should.
GaryWT is offline   Reply With Quote