Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone RV Customer Comments > Keystone RV Service & Warranty Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 08-16-2013, 07:09 AM   #21
pookie210

Reading this thread has me a litte concerned but grateful that the experiences of others may be of assistance very soon. We are picking up our new 327RES next week. Of course we always expect some type of little inconvenience/mechanical issue with a camper new or old. It is good to know the remote seems to remain operable in the event the panel does not function. Our shake down trip will end up being a week long odyssey the first week of September. Nothing like jumping in head first.
pookie210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 03:10 PM   #22
Martydonna

Enjoy your 327RES, (2013) we have the same unit and really enjoy it. We bought it at the beginning of the year and do have issues with the Touch Panel. I have heard that they have resolved the problem on the new models. I'm waiting to make sure that the problem is fixed before return my unit to the dealership for repair. I have heard people returning multiple times only to have the same problem. Enjoy your 327RES its an awesome unit!
Martydonna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 05:06 AM   #23
pookie210

Thanks Martydonna. We will definitely be asking lots of questions when we do the inspection this week. And from the forums as we go.

Happy camping!
pookie210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 11:16 PM   #24
pramey9876

I am supposed to have my panel replaced on 9/3/13 with a newer version of the panel. Keystone says the manufacturer has fixed the problem. Will let you know soon. Was like pulling teeth to get this problem acknowledged by Keystone.
pramey9876 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 05:06 AM   #25
nano

After quite a bit of emailing back and forth, Keystone is going to send someone from our dealership (2 hours away) to our house to have the panel replaced. I am very happy about that.
Old 10-11-2013, 05:43 PM   #26
mountainlivin

finally fixed!!

At least so far. Got the new panel shipped direct to me. Replaced it about 3weeks ago and no having to reset since. Could definitely see a mod on the new board. Will hope all stays well.
mountainlivin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 07:10 AM   #27
Bob Landry

Problems like this are best solved with a checkbook. Yours.. When the dealers let Keystone know that they can't sell that product, a fix or a different panel will appear. Unfortunately, too many people buy these units before finding out about the issues with the panels. I thought I read that Keystone was building units with the old style breaker panel on request until this could be fixed.

Bitter Gun Owner
Bitter Clinger
Armed Infidel
Bob Landry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 09:24 AM   #28
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Landry View Post
Problems like this are best solved with a checkbook. Yours.. When the dealers let Keystone know that they can't sell that product, a fix or a different panel will appear. Unfortunately, too many people buy these units before finding out about the issues with the panels. I thought I read that Keystone was building units with the old style breaker panel on request until this could be fixed.
Bob,

That is news to me. I hadn't heard that Keystone was building two different options of the panel. There was a concern from one member (several months back) who had ordered a Cougar XLite thinking that he would have panel problems. His dealer contacted Keystone and was told that the XLite does not have the flat panel control system and that it uses a panel with rocker switches. That might be what you were thinking? He was thinking he would get the "problem panel" and was told, "No, your trailer doesn't have that option" Meaning, it's not available in the line you ordered.

There's no option available as far as I know on the Cougar line or the Cougar High Country line. You get what the factory installs or possibly the dealer can modify it, but like Henry Ford said, "You can get a Model T in any color you want, as long as it's black."

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 11:32 AM   #29
Bob Landry

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
Bob,

That is news to me. I hadn't heard that Keystone was building two different options of the panel. There was a concern from one member (several months back) who had ordered a Cougar XLite thinking that he would have panel problems. His dealer contacted Keystone and was told that the XLite does not have the flat panel control system and that it uses a panel with rocker switches. That might be what you were thinking? He was thinking he would get the "problem panel" and was told, "No, your trailer doesn't have that option" Meaning, it's not available in the line you ordered.

There's no option available as far as I know on the Cougar line or the Cougar High Country line. You get what the factory installs or possibly the dealer can modify it, but like Henry Ford said, "You can get a Model T in any color you want, as long as it's black."
Maybe that's the instance I was thinking about, but I still go back to my original premise and that is dependent on the prospective buyer having the necessary information, but unfortunately that information comes after the fact. I guess what really disappoints me is that Keystone knowing about this problem as long as they have, continue to market it in their products, and even more disturbing, the dealers are probably representing the faulty panels as the latest technology and a sales feature

Bitter Gun Owner
Bitter Clinger
Armed Infidel
Bob Landry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 12:14 PM   #30
Javi

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
Bob,

Here is what Bob is talking about I think....

http://www.keystonerv.org/forums/sho...9&postcount=61
Old 10-12-2013, 02:07 PM   #31
JRTJH
Site Team

Javi,

Thanks for finding the post. It's the same post I was thinking about. His RV is a 31RKS which is an XLite model. All the XLite's have 2 numbers followed by letters. Cougar High Country models (the ones with the touch panel) have 3 numbers followed by letters.

The Half-ton series (west coast edition of the XLite) is also a 2 number model.

Cougar (as a brand name) no longer produces a travel trailer, only fifth wheel models.

Thanks for finding the post.

Bob,

I understand your frustration with Keystone, but to put it in perspective we would have to know how many RV's that panel has been installed in and how many have failed. If they produce thousands of RV's a year and only have 5 or 10, even 50 or so failures, that's less than half of one percent (0.5%). If, however they have hundreds or thousands of failures, that's a significant problem and your criticism is most definitley justified.

Of course, speaking from an individual owner's standpoint, if there's one failure and it's mine or yours, it's a significant problem to us or to any individual owner.

I talked to the dealership where I just bought my Cougar and in the discussions, he said they haven't had any panel failures yet. So, it may not be as widespread as we think based on the reports here. As always, the satisfied owners seldom post and the problem units almost always get used as examples in forums like this.

Ideally, none should fail, but we need to know how many really are bad to make any determination that it's a significant problem.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 05:40 AM   #32
airforceret

I'm still working on getting my panel replaced under warranty, but in conversations with their technical staff, it has led me to believe that some of the panel problems are related to how it was originally wired, while other problems (like mine) are directly related to the panel itself which can only be resolved by the newer panel.

With my touch panel, it has 5 rows of buttons. Rows 1, 4, and 5 work, while rows 2 and 3 only work briefly then fail. They can be made to work temporarily by resetting the panel, but they soon fail. Oddly enough when the row fails, the last setting of those switches remain even after the panel fails (e.g., pump was set to on... it stays set to on, hot water heater set to off and it stays off).

It's like the panel goes into permanent sleep mode!
2001 Wrangler (Moab Rock Crawler) / 2008 Can Am Outlander 400 4x4
airforceret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 12:44 PM   #33
firstpg

cougar touch panel issues

Hi: we have a 2012 246rls cougar high country 5th wheel. Now in California for our first trip with this unit, which we brought new 2 weeks ago. While our remote works for slides, awning, landing gear ect, only the awning manual control works, all the rest are dead. Problem started about 4 days into our trip. This worries us, since remotes have been known to fail, then we would need to tear off the front decorative panel on the 2 slides and apply some electric drill power, hoping drill has enough charge for both, and hoping we could re-attach stapled on panel without to much cosmetic damage. Anyway we have now been waiting in Red bluff for a week until the Bakersfield Keystone dealer finally confirms a delivery date for a replacement touch panel. expect this to drag on for at least another week, before anything happens. We have tried any number for things to solve the problem, including the hard start via shutting off main and battery power. Pushing the re-set button on the panel (located next to the battery pack in the front compartment) no joy so far. We love RV'ing and are now on our 3rd unit. Hope the eventual replacement of our touch panel, will solve our problem. Anyone have any new thoughts on this ???
firstpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 07:37 AM   #34
airforceret

One option that worked for us was pulling the fuse to the touch panel in the breaker box, leaving it out for a few seconds, then reinserting the fuse. Our fuse was in slot #5.

We now have the new panel installed and will see how long that it lasts.

Good luck with your panel replacement.
Old 11-10-2013, 08:24 PM   #35
pramey9876

I have the same RV, Keystone replaced the panel in October and it worked fine for 6 weeks until I put it away for the winter. they know the fix they are just difficult to get it done, good luck.
pramey9876 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 04:37 PM   #36
mach22

My panel failed almost immediately. A tech came out, checked the serial number and looked it up on a letter he had and said it had to be replaced and would order one. Took about 4 weeks. As an interim fix I connected a switch with an inline fuse across the panel fuse by the converter. This worked until I got the new panel installed. New panel has worked flawlessly. The tech who installed had to rewire 2 switches because they were reversed on the new panel, slide 1 in was wired to slide outout and on the slide 1 switchs! Happy camper now.
mach22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 07:47 AM   #37
starman

My husband and I have had the same problem with our Cougar 327RES. We had the panel replaced and it happened again almost immediately. We ave RV parking at our home and it is always plugged in and my husband would go out and everything would be off. He would have to totally disconnect the battery then it would work again...until the next time But we finally figured out what the problem was. It had nothing to do with the panel, it was the power cord. Seems that it has to be COMPLETELY in the socket on the RV. It may look like it's in all the way, it will even screw down completely but it's not. We even ran into another owner of the same unit at an RV park. He had just bought the unit and it was his first time out. A technician was coming out that day to see what the problem was. After we told him what we found he disconnected the cord and put it back on making sure it was pushed ALL THE WAY IN. We were there for a week and he never had the problem again. So those of you that are having this issue you may want to pay very close attention to making sure it is pushed in as far as it will go. I know it seems like that is too simple but we have used our rig for 7 months since discovering this and have had no problems what so ever. We also ran into the other RVer who had the problem at the RV park and he too has not had any issues since the last time we saw him. I don't know if the pins may not be quit long enough so it makes a poor connection or what but it's just a thought. Hope this works for others like it worked for us.
starman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 11:55 AM   #38
airforceret

We just returned from a 2200 mile trip out to Denver and back. The new touch panel worked flawlessly the whole trip! I do still miss the old fashioned switches though... I have color vision issues and can't really read the touch panel all that well, but as with everything, in time it will all get figured out! And every once in awhile i happen to run the slide in a bit on accident! LOL
Old 11-20-2013, 03:16 PM   #39
starman

LOL.....I know the feeling. I wear glasses for reading but don't walk around with my glasses on so when I go to use the panel it is hard for me to see what is what. I miss the good old fashioned switches as well. Don't you just love technology
starman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 11:04 AM   #40
airforceret

Quote:
Originally Posted by starman View Post
LOL.....I know the feeling. I wear glasses for reading but don't walk around with my glasses on so when I go to use the panel it is hard for me to see what is what. I miss the good old fashioned switches as well. Don't you just love technology
I've seriously considered getting out the ole Dymo Label Maker and creating some little stickers for it!