Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone RV Customer Comments > Keystone RV Service & Warranty Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 04-09-2014, 09:21 AM   #1
festx

2013 286QBS Issues

We purchased 2013 286QBS in June of 2012. Since then we've had structural issues with the unit. Shortly after the purchase, the luan underlayment began to buckle at the seams in the bunkhouse. I had the dealer repair it during the winter of 2012, and fortunately it was completely covered under the warranty. The dealer repair job is not holding up though. The joints where the linoleum was cut to get at the underlayment seams is now peeling up and do not line-up, but I can deal with that.

While the camper was in the dealer to repair the flooring, I also had them take a look at the slideout seals, because I noticed some water infiltrating the bottom of the slide out during rain and sometimes from the AC unit condensation. The dealer couldn't reproduce the problem. Since then, I have been managing the water/leak issue with towels, and when we are not using the camper for an extended period I cover it with a tarp.

When I uncovered the camper this year it rained the very next day and the leak appears to have worsen. I towed the unit to a different shop last weekend to get a second opinion. They got back to me with some bad news. They said the bottom slide out seal is surprisingly in really bad shape considering the camper is not two year's old yet. He said that it didn't even pass the flashlight test meaning that they saw light coming through the seal. The repair estimate was $3500 - $4000 given that the entire slide had to be removed to replace the seal. The shop is extremely reputable and this year is their 50th year in business, so I trust them. The camper is out of warranty, $3500 is more than our entire vacation budget for the year, so even if I were to get it fixed, we couldn't afford to use this year. I'm not sure what to do next. And, not only has the leak worsened, the same underlayment issue is now happening in another spot in the camper. Any suggestions? This is not what I expected when dumped big $$ on a new camper.
festx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 11:24 AM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

I'd urge you to contact Keystone Customer Service. Make sure you have all the information, who, what, when, why and where for EVERYTHING that has been done to your RV since it was new, who did it, what they did, when the did it, what they told you the reasons were and what happened then. Put all of that information in a chronological order and be objective. Don't let your emotions cloud how you document the history. Saying things like "the dealer promised and didn't deliver" are an "opinion" and not factual but perception. Keep to the facts, and if you've got pictures from along the way, make sure they are included.

Build your "best case" and present it to Keystone. You may find that they are receptive since it's an ongoing issue. But it's up to you to PROVE that it's an ongoing issue, not the same thing that happened again.

Get the new dealer to give you his opinion and include that in the information you send to Keystone.

If that doesn't work, and you're a Good Sam member, contact their help line. They have been successful in helping get things moving in situations where both sides were deadlocked and not receptive to changing their minds.

Good luck,

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote