Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Lite Weight Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 08-21-2014, 06:23 PM   #1
Bayoublue

Passport Elite 23RB

I'm a new member and DW and i are soon to retire and we've got the TT bug after visiting a local RV show. We've never owned a camper. We're wanting a small TT but large enough to go on an extended trip. We are considering a new Passport Elite 23RB. Can anyone give me an insight to the quality of this TT ? I pushed on the front and back of this unit and it felt spongy, is this normal? We really like the floor plan.
Bayoublue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 10:44 AM   #2
slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayoublue View Post
I'm a new member and DW and i are soon to retire and we've got the TT bug after visiting a local RV show. We've never owned a camper. We're wanting a small TT but large enough to go on an extended trip. We are considering a new Passport Elite 23RB. Can anyone give me an insight to the quality of this TT ? I pushed on the front and back of this unit and it felt spongy, is this normal? We really like the floor plan.
We picked up our 2015 23RB on July 29th, so we do not have a lot of time with it, about 6 nights. We love the floor plan for the two of us, find it very easy to tow with our 2001 5.4l F150 and a ProPride hitch. Had quests for a couple of nights and they found the tri-fold sofa bed very comfortable.

As for quality of materials, I have not come across any concerns. But I have had to addressed a number of workmanship issues, much like others on the forum have. To date, the issues I addressed are: removed window crank assembly to re-engage levers in track, removed and installed (perpendicular to the surface) 1/4" longer and larger diameter screws at the front transition between the roof and front cap and reapplied Dicor self levelling sealant since some of the screws missed the substructure, reshaped the bathroom door hinges so the door is centered in the opening (because I am anal) and the latch had more engagement, tightened a few plumbing connections although I had no leaks, touched up a few areas on the frame with paint, filled many staple holes and anchored the bottom of the trim around the door on the inside since they started to lift.

Only upgrade so far is a Maxx Air vent cover for the bathroom vent. I plan on installing a power vent in the kitchen vent opening next spring.

Since we had no local dealer we took a chance and drove 12 hours to pick up our 23RB that was ordered in for us and was built only 6 days prior to pickup. If you have an opportunity to compare and shop multiple dealers, look closely and decide which unit has the issues you can live with or address yourself.

Good luck with your purchase.
slow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 02:43 PM   #3
Bayoublue

Thanks Slow
I appreciate your reply. Sounds like you're really on top of things. I know it's a significant investment. I'm also new to forums, but I figured out how to search for "passport elites" and was particularly interested in one thread that discussed the roof walk ability. Our salesman said that I'd need to check the roof and all openings once or twice a year....so how does one do that if you cannot get on the roof?... SUPPOSE REAL CAREFULLY
BB
Old 08-22-2014, 03:10 PM   #4
Festus2
Site Team

Quote:
I pushed on the front and back of this unit and it felt spongy, is this normal? .
The backs of many 5th wheels and trailers are flexible and when you push on them there is some "give" felt. The backs are not constructed the same as the sides - instead of a "sandwich" type construction composed of rigid insulation glued between luan, there is a thin, single back which is not fastened down except for the top, bottom and along the edges. It feels more solid around these areas as well as sections all round any windows and lights. Instead of rigid foam insulation, there is "loose fiberglass" bats.

This movement is normal and is not cause for alarm although it does feel "funny".

The same applies to the fronts of TT and to some extent, 5th wheels.
Old 08-22-2014, 03:33 PM   #5
Wantoride

Welcome to the forum. We have a 2014 23rb and love it. It's just the right size for the 2 of us. I don't need a dinette when I get up, I need a sofa. Enough said. Depending on what you will need for extended trip is up to you. After a few long trips you'll know what it needs if anything. Only 2alterations made on ours. An electric tongue jack and vent covers. I was told not to walk on our roof but to use a tall lader and if necessary to get on the roof, put down a sheet of thin plywood to disperse your weight. Enjoy
Old 08-22-2014, 03:55 PM   #6
Bayoublue

Thanks to y'all for all the info! This forum is amazing!
We're still looking around but I think this 23RB is exactly what we want. This site definitely helps us shop around. The dealer is quoting a price of $26,500 and including a power hitch, a slide topper, and a top of line equalizer for the weight distribution. This also includes TTL.
THANKS AGAIN
BB
Old 08-24-2014, 01:34 PM   #7
Tbos

I have a 2014 238ML. I have not had any big problems with quality. From what I've seen on this forum and in shows and dealer showrooms Keystone quality is about on par as all the other RVs. The front and rear flex a little because they don't use bonded materials there. It is aluminum framed, insulated, and attached. Should not cause any issues. The sides are fully bonded so they will not flex. Some more expensive units made by other manufacturers are bonded all the way around. Others are what they call stick and tin. In other words wood framed and covered in thin aluminum. Most important thing no matter what you buy is to do a thorough delivery inspection. Don't be afraid to take extra time. They understand. If not find another dealer. You can find a PDI list on this forum. It can be used for any TT. Have fun and enjoy. Let us know what you decide and how it goes.
Tbos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 07:23 PM   #8
slow

Quote:
Thanks Slow

I appreciate your reply. Sounds like you're really on top of things. I know it's a significant investment. I'm also new to forums, but I figured out how to search for "passport elites" and was particularly interested in one thread that discussed the roof walk ability. Our salesman said that I'd need to check the roof and all openings once or twice a year....so how does one do that if you cannot get on the roof?... SUPPOSE REAL CAREFULLY

BB

I use two 2" thick "pink" foam in 2' x 4' sheets to move around the roof. Spreads the load and does not slide around

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Reese 5th Airborne (bagged) Pin Box
RoadMaster Shock Kit
X-Factor Cross Bracing
Old 10-28-2014, 04:16 PM   #9
ftrupe

Just received my 2015 23 RB, towed it home 320 miles and now have it next to my house for the winter. As I was going through it, the first thing I noticed was the door only opens 90 degrees. My last two trailers, the door swung all the way open and then had a latch to keep it open against the side of the trailer. Am I doing something wrong? Does the door on the 23 RB open all the way?
ftrupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 05:30 PM   #10
slow

Passport Elite 23RB

Congrats on the new trailer.
The door is constrained to 90 degrees by the cylinder mounted at the bottom of the door. I originally was going to remove it and add a latch to hold it at 180, but have grown to accept it as is. Holds well in the wind and less hassle than a latch.

BTW: is your ceiling arched? Per the website they made a running change on the 2015s to arched. Ours is a flat ceiling.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
RoadMaster Shock Kit
X-Factor Cross Bracing
Old 10-29-2014, 04:24 AM   #11
ftrupe

The 2015 is arched. I probably will just leave the door at 90 and get used to it.
ftrupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 04:28 AM   #12
zuley

We too have a 23RB. Ours was of the first 2013 models. I don't believe there have been any changes in the two model years since. We have 80 plus nights in ours in the two seasons we have owned it. Other than having to reinstall the window valance over the couch we have had no issues. I'd purchase another one in a heart beat. One mod I would recommend immediately is the install of an electric tongue jack.
Enjoy which ever you decide to purchase.
zuley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 07:20 AM   #13
slow

There have been a few changes over the years including new cabinet doors, speaker relocation, and new frame being the most significant IMO. No surprise for a relatively new model.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
RoadMaster Shock Kit
X-Factor Cross Bracing