Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone RV Customer Comments > Keystone RV Service & Warranty Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 04-22-2011, 05:54 PM   #21
JRTJH
Site Team

In the Air Force, we used a Glyptol Sealant to coat the edges of decals on aircraft. It went on with a small brush and dried clear and flat. Not sure if Glyptol is even still in the business. They do have a website, but someone with decal problems may want to contact their customer service to see if they have a solution. We flew at 2x the speed of sound and the decals stayed on, should work for trailers (if they even still make the stuff)

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 03:38 AM   #22
rjsurfer

I'm not sure gluing the edges down is the answer.

When I look at the failing decal on the nose of the camper it appears that the decal shrunk by at least 1/2" along the entire edge.

I can see the faint outline of the original start edge of the decal.

Ron W.
rjsurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 07:05 PM   #23
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjsurfer View Post
I'm not sure gluing the edges down is the answer.

When I look at the failing decal on the nose of the camper it appears that the decal shrunk by at least 1/2" along the entire edge.

I can see the faint outline of the original start edge of the decal.

Ron W.
We had problems with decals shrinking and pulling away from the aircraft. Using the sealant around the edges, they kept their size better, shrinked less and didn't pull away at the edges. I haven't had any issues with decals yet, but if I do, I plan to seal the edges with something as close as I can find to that old Glyptol sealant.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 05-03-2011, 05:24 PM   #24
Wild Wild Qwest

The front decals on our 2010 Bullet 246RBS were cracking. I sent pictures to Keystone to show them the problem. We were out of warranty, but they stepped up and authorized replacements.

It's my writing style and negotiation skills that got the job done!
Wild Wild Qwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 01:53 PM   #25
Txoutback

New here, first post. I purchased an Outback 277LR yesterday and came here to start reading up on my new rig.
My current unit is a 2004 Sportsmen alum skin and I used cheap clear fingernail polish to keep the decals in check. I keep a bottle in the camper and when I see a decal starting to lift I pull out the bottle, clean under and around the decal, paint a little under it, smash it back down and put a little dab on the edge. And yes, they do shrink. Mine sits in the hot sun year-round so it takes a beating. I always check and repair before I haul. The lifting started when it was about a year old and the cracking after about 3 years. It's all still on there but it is cracked and looks like crap but she is up for sale as of today. I hope I have as good of luck with the Keystone as I did with the K-Z. Never a problem other than the decals and the AC seal leaking.

Dave
Txoutback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 03:20 PM   #26
Festus2
Site Team

Thanks for the tip about using fingernail polish to keep the beginnings of peeling decals in check and from further peeling. Welcome to our group and hope you get lots of enjoyment from your new Outback.
Old 05-31-2011, 03:43 PM   #27
jq1031

Quote:
Originally Posted by Txoutback View Post
New here, first post. I purchased an Outback 277LR yesterday and came here to start reading up on my new rig.
My current unit is a 2004 Sportsmen alum skin and I used cheap clear fingernail polish to keep the decals in check. I keep a bottle in the camper and when I see a decal starting to lift I pull out the bottle, clean under and around the decal, paint a little under it, smash it back down and put a little dab on the edge. And yes, they do shrink. Mine sits in the hot sun year-round so it takes a beating. I always check and repair before I haul. The lifting started when it was about a year old and the cracking after about 3 years. It's all still on there but it is cracked and looks like crap but she is up for sale as of today. I hope I have as good of luck with the Keystone as I did with the K-Z. Never a problem other than the decals and the AC seal leaking.

Dave
Thats a good tip, thanx!
jq1031 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 05:22 AM   #28
96Brigadier

For those who removed decals off their trailer... how did you go about doing it? Did you use any tools, solutions, etc.?

My 2010 that we've owned for 8 months has the decals on the front cap pealing off, I'd rather just remove them entirely.
96Brigadier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 09:47 AM   #29
hankpage
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by 96Brigadier View Post
For those who removed decals off their trailer... how did you go about doing it? Did you use any tools, solutions, etc.?

My 2010 that we've owned for 8 months has the decals on the front cap pealing off, I'd rather just remove them entirely.

I peeled mine off on a hot day in the sun. A few stubborn spots (lighter colors) needed the help of a heat gun. Any adhesive left over comes off with WD-40 or a good cleaner wax. It's almost a year since I removed it and at the right angle you can still see where it was .... just a little shinier then the rest of the nose, but you have to look for it.
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 11:02 AM   #30
katie2011

Angry Peeling Decals

I have a 2009 Summerland Model 1890FL and also have peeling decals. The worse is on the front which would suggest wind during towing is the problem. Some cracking on one side decal but no peeling anywhere else. The unit is under cover when stored. Here is my issue. I first contacted Keystone Customer Service on 6/27/2011 by phone, then, as requested send pics of the problem. Long story short; I was told they would send replacement decals but said I never sent pics nor told them which decals I needed. I did send the pics the very same day 6/27. They requested I again send pics and which decals wanted. So, now I have sent pics and told them which decals I need twice since (that's three times). I last asked what else I could do to help resolve the issue. That was on 8/20. Apparently as of 8/27 they are not even going to respond. IF THEY DON'T RESPOND SOON BY SENDING THE DECALS, I PLAN TO REMOVE ALL MANUFACTURE NAME DECALS AND GO NAKED!!! Why should I advertise Keystone (or Sumerland) if they will not do a simple thing they agreed to do. I have planned to install the decals myself and they have sent installation instructions. My pervious unit was a Flagstaff Forest River camper and their Customer Service was outstanding. I now regret that I did not back to them when I upgraded (they have an almost identical model to the Keystone I bought).
katie2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 11:29 AM   #31
katie2011

Exclamation Removable and Installation of New Decals

I could not upload the Adobe .pdf file with the instructions that Keystone sent me for removing and installing the decals. The Forum has a limit of 19.5 KB and the .pdf is 92 KB. However, you should be able to get Keystone Customer Service or www.burlingtongraphics.com to send the file to you. Warning: it was sent to me as a .gif and I had to convert it to a MS Word .doc file to open it. Below I cut & pasted the instructions. HOPE THEY HELP.

Exterior Graphic Installation / Removal Instructions

Below is a step by step guide to successful graphic removal

• Soften graphic and adhesive by first warming the graphic with a heat gun or blow dryer. Facing graphic to the sun on a warm day will also help.
• After removing graphic, any remaining adhesive can be removed by using chemical cleaners such as lacquer thinner or citrus cleaner.
• Make sure to thoroughly clean residue left behind by these chemicals with isopropyl alcohol before applying a replacement graphic.

Below is a step by step guide to successful graphic installation

• Surface temperature of substrate should be a minimum of 45 degrees for optimal adhesion and performance.
• Clean substrate thoroughly with isopropyl alcohol prior to graphic application.
• Use proper application tool to apply graphic; squeegee for smooth wall; rivet brush for corrugated metal.
• Remove liner from back of graphic.
• Gently place graphic in desired application location.
• Squeegee vertically in center of graphic towards the outer edges. Graphics can be lifted to removed slack and prevent creases prior to squeegeeing, but not after.
• Leave protective pre-mask on graphic for at least 15 minutes prior to removing.
• Remove pre-mask by pulling 180 degrees across the graphic, not 90 degrees away from the substrate.
• Graphic should be re-squeegeed after removal of pre-mask, especially where removal begins and at small points.
• Air bubbles can be popped and removed by using a tool with a fine point, like a pin. Do not use a wide blade like a Stanley or Exacto knife
katie2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 06:01 AM   #32
1busymom

Angry I would like to see what you wrote before I do

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Wild Qwest View Post
The front decals on our 2010 Bullet 246RBS were cracking. I sent pictures to Keystone to show them the problem. We were out of warranty, but they stepped up and authorized replacements.

It's my writing style and negotiation skills that got the job done!
Our Cougar sticker is starting to peel off our 2010 Cougar 293SAB, wehich really irriatates me! I am curious to see a sample of what you wrote to get a response. Thanks!
1busymom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 06:48 AM   #33
JRTJH
Site Team

Just call Robyne at Keystone Customer Service. Explain to her what your decal looks like. She'll probably ask you to email her a picture of the decal. Once she has that, CS will determine if they can help you. Usually, if the decal is damaged physiically (tree scrape, scratched, etc) they won't help you, but if it is faded, cracked and/or peeling they often send you a replacement decal. It seems they provide the parts, you must provide the labor to remove and reinstall the new decal.

I've found it's best to call, not send letters to initiate the contact. That way you have a "headstart" on providing Keystone with the data they'll need to get started on your claim.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 05-11-2012, 11:55 AM   #34
smiller

I find myself agreeing with those who have recommended simply not fighting the decal battle. After about 18 months the decal on my front cap is starting to curl up, although the ones on the side are fine so far. Not sure why the end cap is more of a problem (for me and several others), maybe the plastic used has a higher rate of thermal expansion/contraction than the gelcoat used on the sides or maybe the front cap gets more sun exposure, or who knows. The only thing I do know is that if I go through the expense and hassle of replacing the decal I will almost surely be in the same shape in a year or two. Simpy not having a decal on the front cap seems to be a much better solution.
smiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 07:15 AM   #35
sandry

falling off decals

I just found this web site and thought I would vent my frustrations.
I have a 2008 Montana and have had most of the decals replaced at least once and now they are coming off again. I get from the the dealer that they are defective decals and from Keystone that it is the deals problem.
I did take it in and had the decals looked at by a private company and they said they where defective decals. Keystone will only pay for 50% of the bill for having them replaced. They will not quarentee that the new ones will not come off. My wife and I are thinking of taking all the decals off and not replacing them.
sandry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 07:45 AM   #36
JRTJH
Site Team

Sandry, First of all, welcome to the forum. There is a lot of good advice (and some opinionated advice as well). I hope you enjoy your time here and learn from us as you offer your suggestions for others...

Now, as for decals. You're far from being alone in your frustration about decals. Some have replaced them as you did initally, some have just lived with their cracked and peeling decals, some have tried to paint the edges, some have done a number of other things to try to resolve the issue. Some have, as you are considering, simply removed the decals and "gone nekkid"

Should you consider that option? With a 4 (almost 5 year old) RV, you will have some yellowing and sun bleaching of your RV, however under the decals will have been "protected from the sun" and will be slightly a different color. If you do decide to "bare it all" be aware that you may well have distinct "tan lines" on your RV very similar to what a bathing suit does for our "other nekkid body"

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 05-17-2012, 08:44 AM   #37
jdoug

We currently are a small sign company specializing in vinyl applications of all kinds. Unfortunately, under the best of conditions, vinyl is only rated at 2-5 years. The harsher the conditions (sun, wind, rain, snow, travel) the shorter the life span.

The decals on our Sprinter are mostly what we call "print and cut". This means they are printed on rolls of white vinyl using a solvent based ink that "bites" into the vinyl. If they are run properly with a slight white border around them they tend to last longer, without, the ink changes the properties of the vinyl enough on the edges that they can curl as the vinyl shrinks.

Quality of vinyl can certainly effect the shrinkage and the substrate (our TT) can effect the adhesion capabilities. When applying new decals, cleanliness is number one. Clean with a non waxy cleaning solution (sign shop supply shops sell some very good ones, Action Tac being our favorite) two, maybe even three times.

I'm considering setting up a photo shoot of my decals while they are still in good condition and then I will be able to reprint on the best of vinyl products and reapply at my convenience, and maybe even my own custom modifications. Unfortunately, I cannot offer this type of service, duplicating Keystone's designs due to copyright laws.

So, if your TT is a 2008 or earlier, you are about at the EOL of your decals. Nature of the beast.

Doug
jdoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 12:13 PM   #38
Jorme

Alright, let see if it works. My mom and dad have a 2007 Montana and the graphics look like A**. I took a dozen or so pictures after talking to customer service this morning and sent the email over. Now is just waiting for a response.

https://i291.photobucket.com/albums/l..._1572720_n.jpg
Jorme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 07:26 PM   #39
Donegal Bill

Keystone Replaced my decals

I just took delivery of my Raptor 395LEV last month, and after a 2 week trip..Found several decals pealing back..Took it back to dealer and 3.5 weeks later had all new decals..But I'm very nervous now... what the future will hold on the older and brand new decals..Will they start to peal again??Hope not. I will keep my fingers crossed ..
2012 Polaris Ranger 500 EFI Crew
Donegal Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 03:47 AM   #40
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donegal Bill View Post
I just took delivery of my Raptor 395LEV last month, and after a 2 week trip..Found several decals pealing back..Took it back to dealer and 3.5 weeks later had all new decals..But I'm very nervous now... what the future will hold on the older and brand new decals..Will they start to peal again??Hope not. I will keep my fingers crossed ..
Pages 2 and 3 of this thread have some very good suggestions regarding decal shrinkage and peeling problems. There's several options already listed to help reduce or eliminate decal peeling. You may find some of the previous methods of sealing edges beneficial...

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS