Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone RV Customer Comments > Keystone RV Service & Warranty Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 06-26-2011, 08:07 AM   #1
Bankerbob

Problems with Keystone

I have to say reading about some of the problems you all have had with sloppy manufacturing has me concerned. As the wifey and I have recently retired, purchased an Outback RLS27 and plan to fulltime RV for the next 9 months I find myself second guessing my purchase. Our previous unit was a Fuzion 363, 2007 and it performed well for us with no real issues. We did have the lino issue this winter having to replace the floor which did make me very unhappy but overall we had no major problems, leaks, etc. with the unit. My wife is a research nut and prior to buying the Outback we looked at many manufacturers such as Jayco, etc.. We found most review pages gave it a good rating. We have not hit the road yet having just sold our home two weeks ago and have been living in the unit for the las two weeks on a beautiful spot near a river. Unfortunately, it has been raining steady for about two weeks with only two nice days of sun. Should I be looking for water leaks in unseen places? I do not want any surprises when we start our journey. Retired means we are on a budget and I would hate to have to worry about repairs that should not occur.
Bankerbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 08:41 AM   #2
Festus2
Site Team

I understand your concern and your questionning whether or not you did the right thing. Yes, there are a few members who have had problems with their Keystone - some serious issues and others less severe. Those who have had major problems are obviously the most vocal. Almost all of us have had minor issues from time to time and most of them are an "easy fix". No unit is perfect.
I think you will find that the majority of members here are quite satisfied with their Keystone RV. You don't read or hear as much from these folks. I wouldn't be put off by the negative posts you have read here - you will find them on every forum and for every make and model of RV.
I would make it a habit of checking your caulking/sealant on your roof, windows, and all other openings -- vents, lights, etc. - especially if you live in an area that receives a lot of rain. You know where all those "unseen" places are and regular checks in those areas is a good idea.
If a person carries out regular inspection and routine maintenance of his RV, you can't do much more than that. No sense worrying about what might happen.
The rain will stop and the sun will shine. Enjoy.
Old 06-26-2011, 09:34 AM   #3
Handysam

I agree with the above. When we are satisfied with our unit we rarely take the time to right a rave review. However if things go wrong we will spend lots of time complaining and letting the world know of our dissatisfaction.

We bought our 2011 Cougar 327RES last October and could not be happier. After reading this forum believe me I was fairly worried. Previously we owned a Rockwood TT, which had it's share of issues, (none major). It would not have prevented us owning another Rockwood had we found a unit we liked.

We did however change dealerships and would not buy from our previous dealer or recommend them to friends. Their service department was a nightmare, with lots of turnover and no one in charge.

We bought from a highly regarded dealer close to home and hope that if we ever need service they will live up to their reputation.

I think some of the issue with Keystone is they sell so MANY units it makes for more unhappy customers just from a statistical standpoint. At least that is what I hope!

Wishing you the best of luck with your new unit and your new lifestyle! Lauren
Old 06-26-2011, 11:25 AM   #4
Bob Landry

I've had my 277RL for about three months and have done several short hops. I agree with Festus about carefully inspecting your unit. txoutback posted on here a short while back about rear caps not being installed correctly and poorly sealed. I took that to heart, drug out the ladder to check and mine was the same. I took it to my local dealer and the issue was resolved in less than a week. BTW, I didn't buy the trailer there, so the bad reviews of dealer service where you don't buy are very likely attitude driven. I have had to repair/correct minor things. They would have been covered by warranty, but I do better work than most dealers, so along with repair, I also improved.
Don't get discouraged if you find things that are not exactly right and need attention. That's to be expected of anything that's built on a production line driven by quotas.
Bob Landry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 12:13 PM   #5
antiqfreq

You can 100 happy customers, but if three are unhappy....

you will hear about it - over and over and over again -

Keep your chin up and just do your regular maintenance and
inspections while traveling and you'll probably be fine.

We lived in our from Oct. 2009 until March of 2011 and all was
great and we traveled in it a year to boot and never a problem
the hubby couldn't fix himself.

Jo
ISSPRO pillar gauges
Pullrite 15K sliding hitch
2-Honda Eu2000i's in toolbox
2012 Polaris 400
2012 Polaris 330
antiqfreq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 02:47 PM   #6
Outbackmel

Happy Outback Owner

2011 329FBH, 36 ft Outback Sydney, owned 11 months. Happy camper. Use the forum for info mostly. Had minor issues and only 1 in the first 30 days of ownership I could not repair. (Electrical). My dealer is 300 miles north of us so return for warranty was not an issue. After following guidelines for a possible self repair from the factory, no luck, hired a local RV handyman with a good reputation. Cost $120. Sent the bill to Keystone and they sent me a $75 check which I was pleased to receive. Other small issue here, one there, I was able to resolve myself. My kitchen blinds by the stove just broke. RV World of GA near my home base is replacing them this Thursday UNDER WARRANTY.

I realize that we are fortunate not to have "major" issues and if I did have them, I would also rant like H_ _ _ ! Just out of frustration if nothing else.

Enjoy every day you have. Problems come and go whether with your RV, people, your home or other toys.
Outbackmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 07:09 PM   #7
chuck&gail

Ok, only had our Outback a year, so no way to tell on reliability at this point. Will say we love it so far.

BUT

want to say that in almost 200,000 towing miles we've had very very few TT problems using several makes, and all problems we had were minor.
2010 Ford Expedition TV
2010 Outback 230RS Toybox, 5390# UVW, 6800# Loaded
Not yet camped in Hawaii, 2 Canada Provinces, & 2 Territories
I can't be lost because I don't care where this lovely road is going
chuck&gail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 07:34 PM   #8
Me.Bikes.Dogs

Hey Bankerbob, according to the satisfaction survey on this site, 90% would buy another Keystone. That's pretty good.
2004 Harley Screamin' Eagle Electra Glide (for fun), 1 dog (great company)

Me.Bikes.Dogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 09:45 AM   #9
Bankerbob

Keystone issues

Thanks everyone for your input. I got over my initial concerns, going to keep a happy disposition and give the trailer a real lookover before we hit the road on July the 20th!
Bankerbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 04:44 AM   #10
5arnolds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bankerbob View Post
Thanks everyone for your input. I got over my initial concerns, going to keep a happy disposition and give the trailer a real lookover before we hit the road on July the 20th!
Hi Bankerbob,

I am interested to hear how you are making out with your Keystone TT. My wife are teeter tottering between a Jayco Jay Feather and the Keystone Passport Ultra Lite and we have been having the same concerns with Keystone posts about workmanship.
5arnolds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 04:57 AM   #11
outbackmac

keystone

I recently went on a Outback Rally to the keystone (outback) plant when they were manufacturing the loft, they produve 12 of these a day start to finish and can kick it up to 14 if they need . so remember som things will not be right.
outbackmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 08:54 AM   #12
marty

keystone issues

As with anything you buy, there is a shake down period. We have a 327 res and am very happy with purchase. Always will be little things that need to be attended to, some under warranty and some you just fix or change yourself.
marty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 09:02 AM   #13
SAABDOCTOR

Hi bankerbob i have owen 3 keystones only minor issues with each and if were to do it again i would stay wwith keystone. Service has been very good . Best wishes on your retirement enjoy yourselves 6 more years to go!!!!
2 RESCUE PUPS: SUSITNA AND CRYSTAL. RIP ALYESKA!
SAABDOCTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 09:44 AM   #14
f6bits

I think one key area is to find an excellent service department, especially if the trailer is still under warranty. If it’s not under warranty, either DIY or go to that excellent service department or a fantastic independent RV repair facility.

2011 Passport 2590BH
2009 Ford F150 SuperCrew FX4 5.4L w/Max Tow
f6bits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 02:47 PM   #15
LarryL

We have had our 326MKS for a year now nothing major wouldn't take it back to the dealer sorry to say they just wanted my money,didn't call the hole year to ask how we liked the trailer just call one week before the warranty ran out to see if we wanted to extend it didn't even ask if we liked the trailer.
I had a outback before and where I stored it they recommended a Mobile RV service I had him install the Dometic recall on the refrigerator and repair the wiring when I forgot to unhook from the truck before driving away,
He made me feel not so bad said people do it all the time.
That's the first thing I check before driving off now.
I went camping this last week when I was leaving storage, I could not get the refrigerator to work tried a few things then thought i would fix it at the campground have ice chest for backup
Very Lucky I was given a spot to small when I was coming out of the office with new site the mobile service that I had used was just driving out the gate I called for him to stop,he did he checked the refrigerator found that the thermal coupler was bad he fixed it I was a happy camper
This thermal coupler was part of the recall Dometic had on there refrigerators did not have my camera with me will take picture of the coupler and where it is and post them.
This recall fix on my 326MKS was done at the factory,
repairman said very rare for this to go bad .
Old 02-29-2012, 08:00 AM   #16
michael

keystone

I did a walk thru and i crawled under my unit tue feb 28th, I found wire connectors that aren't sealed and open to the eliments, At the battery box and under the coach by the axles for the electric brakes, I will add a simple dab of silicone to seal, And tape and resecure wires that may rub while in motion,
One rubber seal on a slide looked twisted that i will inform the dealer about. theres nothing terriable to deal with everyone just needs to take the time to look,

It really helps you to understand your trailer and identify potential problumes, I drive truck so everyday we have to do a pre trip inspection, before we move the truck and trailers, And a post trip inspection when we park them,

Not everyone knows what to look for or what things are called but take the time and crawl around it with somone who does and learn Alittle see what things are suppose to look like take a pic that way,

When you look again you have a refrance.

I hope everyone is ready for summer and have safe trips.

Before my trailer leaves the dealer i will have inspected it 6 times.
And again while im putting all my supplies in the trailer, Simple checks like if i put something under the sink i will feel the water lines for leaks take a peek with a flashlight, After a few uses i will inspect these areas less frequent.

2008 Ford F250 Super Duty Crew Cab 4x4
V10 Engine, axle 4:10 ratio
8ft box SRW

10x10 Screen room.

Let It Happen Campin.
michael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 08:28 AM   #17
LouSlugger

Bankerbob: having recently purchased a 2007 Fuzion 363, I would love to bounce some questions off you via private email if you have the time. If you do, please send me a private message and I'll give you my email address. Thanks.
LouSlugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 08:47 AM   #18
JRTJH
Site Team

Louslugger, Bankerbob joined this site in June 2011 and posted that they were going to hit the road fulltiming in July 2011. His last visit to this site was August, 1, 2011, so I'd guess he did exactly that. He most likely won't see your post asking him to PM you... I'd guess he's somewhere in the "warm part" of some state enjoying his retirement. Maybe someone else can help you with your questions...

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 10:51 AM   #19
BLJ

Carbon Monixide

Please make sure your unit has a ditigal read out with peak readings on your carbon monixide detector. You most likely need to purchase one. We have had big problems with our unit and high readings. Just be safe and know if you are needing to be concerned with co. This problem can also happen parking next to someone with a generator. Better to be safe than sorry.
Hopefully Keystone makes sure our problem gets fixed. BLJ Have Fun
BLJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 01:31 PM   #20
BoosTT

My Keystone is a 2005 and has no issues other than 2 or 3 of the decals cracking. Not a bad product.

I would suspect airstreams have half the problems, but cost twice as much. Take your pick. I can deal with a few little odds and ends here and there.
BoosTT is offline   Reply With Quote