Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Keystone Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 10-19-2011, 03:17 PM   #1
vpilot

Winterization Advice Need

I have a new 2012 Keystone fuzion 302 Toy Hauler. It is time to winterize it. I have followed the instuctions printed on the info sticker, but the pump will not pump the antifreeze out of the jug and thru the system. I live 2 hours from the dealer and would like to not pull it up there. Any ideas would be helpful. I had a 2008 Cherokee Wolfpack before, and had no trouble.
vpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 03:31 PM   #2
SteveC7010

Did you flip the valve on the tee fitting where the suction hose connects?

'11 Cougar 326MKS loaded with mods
'12 Ford F250 SuperCab 6.7 PowerStroke Diesel
Amateur Radio: KD2IAT (146.520) GMRS: WQPG808 (462.675 TPL 141.3)
SteveC7010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 03:49 PM   #3
Englishman

The other way to get the rv anti freeze thought the system is to pour it into the empty fresh water tank and pump it from there.
https://thecloudscamping.weebly.com/
Englishman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 08:03 PM   #4
JRTJH
Site Team

Englishman,

You're correct, it is possible to get antifreeze into the RV waterlines by pouring it into the fresh water tank and pumping it through the water pump and into the RV, but it usually is a wasteful way to winterize as it takes a significant quantity of antifreeze to get the tank level up to the pump draw hose, and, if there is any water in the tank, it will dilute the antifreeze and what's left over stays in the water tank. Granted, it's supposed to be "non toxic" But it is difficult to flush out of the water tank next spring and I really don't want my family drinking propolyene glycol "left overs" that weren't flushed out. It's much easier to use the winterizing kit, pump the antifreeze out of the jug and flush the lines next spring. Just my opinion, others may differ.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 05:25 AM   #5
hankpage
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by vpilot View Post
I have a new 2012 Keystone fuzion 302 Toy Hauler. It is time to winterize it. I have followed the instuctions printed on the info sticker, but the pump will not pump the antifreeze out of the jug and thru the system. I live 2 hours from the dealer and would like to not pull it up there. Any ideas would be helpful. I had a 2008 Cherokee Wolfpack before, and had no trouble.
vpilot, First, let me say welcome to the forum. I have never had the problem but some folks say their pumps do not self prime when winterizing. Are you using a winterizing kit with a Tee-valve or a quick disconnect on the pump inlet??? The most common is the tee-valve .... Be sure the valve is turned all the way ¼ turn. Check that the washer in the hose to the jug is not damaged.(any air leaking here and it will not prime) Try raising the jug a little higher and opening a faucet. These are things you may have already tried but the info you gave did not say. Let us know about your progress, Hank
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote