Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login

Old 11-10-2013, 07:15 AM   #1
jr66

Is A slide 5th wheel hitch needed

I just bought a 2014 F350 with 6.5 foot box, I have a 2014 Cougar 320 QBS, my question is do I need a sliding hitch? will the front cap hit truck when backing up on sharp turns
jr66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 08:24 AM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

Congratulations on your new rig !

To answer your question: ALL fifth wheels will hit the cab if you back them into tight enough an angle. Even the "wide turn molded front" with a sliding hitch installed in a long bed truck can be turned tight enough (past 90*) to crush the cab.

In years past, fifth wheel front caps were straight across and to turn past about 60* or so, you needed a sliding hitch or you risked contacting the cab. The new front caps are cut away on the lower parts and give much more clearance.

Some people still feel a sliding hitch is a good "investment" for a "just in case" situation, but more and more people with sliding hitches are reporting that they never have needed the hitch, even in tight situations. In fact, a number of people are reporting that the only time they ever used the slider was to see if it really worked.

Do you "need" a sliding hitch? No, not really, provided you are aware of your rig's capabilities and stay within them.

Could you "use" a sliding hitch? If you're the kind of driver that doesn't think about "situational awareness" (knowing where you are and what's about to happen) then you may find a sliding hitch "might" keep you out of trouble. But even then, it's "insurance" not a necessity. Almost always, you can pull forward, jockey the rig and get where you need to be without a slider.

I'm finding, as I talk to fifth wheel owners, that as they upgrade to newer fifth wheels with the improved front caps, that they are saying, "Since I already had the sliding hitch from my old rig, I decided to keep it, but I wouldn't have it if I were buying a new hitch."

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 08:54 AM   #3
BlindGuyNAR

Here is my setup when I tested for clearance.

I was at nearly 90 deg and had 4-5 inches to spare. I could have went to 90 without hitting. I'd have to be backing at an extreme up angle to hit and wouldn't want to be at 90 deg then anyway. Being at that angle really torques the trailer axles so you wouldn't want to do it unless you have to.

With my B&W set at up at the most rear point "I" don't need the slider. Your results might be different.

2013 Mountaineer 346 LBQ

If no one from the future comes to stop you from doing it, how bad of a decision can it really be?
BlindGuyNAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 09:15 AM   #4
jr66

Thanks for feedback, pics were awesome advice.
jr66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 10:39 AM   #5
Adventurider

Short answer: It all depends on the shape of the nose. Case in point, a few weeks ago, I took out my cab. Last unit it wasn't a problem. Expensive lesson.
Adventurider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 04:33 PM   #6
Terry W.

OK here is my 2cents. As you can see in pictures we have short box crew cab. I went with a slider. Have I ever "needed" it, not sure. We camp at state parks & COE campground most and we we stop to check in at office my wife goes to office I slide hitch back. After we dump I slide back to tow position. Guess I just feel better haveing the room then worry.
2-11 Pound 4 Legged Furry Childern
Pickens, SC
Terry W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 06:18 PM   #7
jtyphoid

I have seen used 16 & 18K Superglide auto-sliders regularly advertised for anywhere from 500 to 800 in my area. I went with one of those as cheap insurance and because I KNOW that I'm too lazy to get out and slide a manual slider every time that I should.
jtyphoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 06:48 PM   #8
C130

I gave $500 for my Pullrite Superglide hitch. Bought it off Craigslist from a guy that had only used it a couple of times and needed to sell his new toy hauler. They can be bought for $500-$600 around here and I've see several for sale.

I have a 2011 F250, short bed, and I'm glad I got the slider hitch. I pull a 2011 Fuzion 322 and it has the curved edges on the from but slider comes in handy all of the time. My bed cover folds up against my back window and when folded up for towing takes up around 5-6 inches of available space when turning. I guess the good part is I'll hit the cover before the truck. Just another thing to consider if you'll be buying a bed cover that folds up. Mine is the Bakflip which I bought so I can still put a dirt bike in bed when needed.
C130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 05:55 PM   #9
KYFamily

I guess it is better have than not. I've had one for the past 3 years and have never needed to use it. Not sure it even works.
Old 12-03-2013, 05:23 AM   #10
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by KYFamily View Post
I guess it is better have than not. I've had one for the past 3 years and have never needed to use it. Not sure it even works.
I hear this comment made much more than any comments saying the sliding hitch is necessary.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote