Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > General RV Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 11-20-2023, 01:28 PM   #1
Rhyno

Black tank drain

Hello. We have a 2021 316rls 5th wheel. We live in our rig full time. About every 2 or 3 tank dumps it is very difficult to get the drain pulled. I have tried valve lube.
And it is just at the start of the drain pull.
Any ideas?
Thanks
Rhyno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2023, 01:37 PM   #2
dutchmensport

I think that may be a common experience. Mine usually stick hard initially too. I have found that if I give the pull handle a hard "push" first, before "pulling" it helps break the glue sticking experience.

Sometimes, they initially pull so hard, I can only pull them slightly. Then I push them (hard) closed again, and do another pull. Usually the second "pull" will let me pull them all the way open.

I figure, it's just "stuff" hardening to the inside of the valve slide that causes this to happen.
Old 11-20-2023, 01:45 PM   #3
Rhyno

Quote:
Originally Posted by dutchmensport View Post
I think that may be a common experience. Mine usually stick hard initially too. I have found that if I give the pull handle a hard "push" first, before "pulling" it helps break the glue sticking experience.

Sometimes, they initially pull so hard, I can only pull them slightly. Then I push them (hard) closed again, and do another pull. Usually the second "pull" will let me pull them all the way open.

I figure, it's just "stuff" hardening to the inside of the valve slide that causes this to happen.
The valve lube does seem to help. I end up doing what you suggested. I guess the cable is so long you don't get a solid pull.
Rhyno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2023, 03:56 PM   #4
cougar23

These cables are indeed long. Factory makes no effort for cables to have a straight pull, they are simply wound around until the end comes to the valve.
I opened my underbelly and secured a piece of 2x4 wood to fasten the cable to so it would not flex as much when pulled. This was done about 6 inches in front of the valve.
cougar23 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
black tank, drain, tank