Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 08-16-2012, 03:27 AM   #1
reelnauti

Ford Edge

I am looking at a passport 190 exp tt, the idea of a hybrid is kicking around however after talking with our sales person they seem to think our vehicle will be ok. Has any towed with a Ford Edge FWD? Max tow is 3500lbs the weight of the tt is around 3400lbs scaled at dealer, and i am well aware of all numbers, we are only towing short distance no more than 65 miles, no hills straight runs maybe 3 times a year. Would adding a wd setup help any with sway control? Any input is muchly apprecitated!
reelnauti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 06:13 AM   #2
The Sod Father

The short answer is - don't do it.

The long answer is - please don't do it. The dealer is telling you whatever it takes to sell the trailer. A FWD Edge makes a horrible tow vehicle for anything larger than a pop up. At best, you risk damaging your Edge. At worst, you risk damaging your family and fellow travelers. Others will certainly chime in on the specifics regarding weights, and weight distribution, wheelbase length, sway control, etc. but in an effort to head this off ASAP, I would again say.... don't do it.
Tekonsha Prodigy playing the role of brake control
The Sod Father is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 07:54 AM   #3
KanTC

If you're "well aware of all numbers", then you already know it's far-too-much trailer for your Edge, which is unwise & potentially unsafe, despite what any sales person says.
The idea that you're "only towing short distance no more than 65 miles, no hills straight runs maybe 3 times a year" is irrelevant (quite honestly, IMHO), given the fact that
accidents happen close to home too! As Sod Father said: don't do it! Again, IMHO, either find a smaller/lighter trailer, or a larger tow vehicle to match the 190exp.
KanTC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 08:06 AM   #4
SteveC7010

Don't do it.

The trailer is 3,400# empty and the max tow of the car is 3,500#? Conventional wisdom on towing is a safety margin of at least 10% beyond GVWR. You already have zero capacity for any gear or food.

This isn't just a bad idea; it is a dangerous idea.

'11 Cougar 326MKS loaded with mods
'12 Ford F250 SuperCab 6.7 PowerStroke Diesel
Amateur Radio: KD2IAT (146.520) GMRS: WQPG808 (462.675 TPL 141.3)
SteveC7010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 08:20 AM   #5
hankpage
Site Team

Forget about towing ... the hitch weight of that trailer is too much for your Edge. 10% of the weight of the trailer will be (should be) on the hitch. Just adding propane, battery and the weight of the hitch itself, without any camping gear,clothes or food, you will be way over the 350lb hitch weight for your Edge. This is taking into consideration that you have a class III hitch and don't have 22" wheels. Like others have said .... Don't believe salespeople Think lighter trailer and travel safely, Hank
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 08:30 AM   #6
SAABDOCTOR

I'LL ADD MY PITCH ONE OUT 1STRKE NO BALLS! DON'T DO IT. THE SALESMAN IS LOOKING FOR A SALE HE SEES YOU ASKING AND HOPES YOU DON'T KNOW. YOU REALLY NEED TO MAKE A CHOISE. BIGGER TV OR SMALLER CAMPER. THIS COMBO IS JUST UNSAFE! Sorry about the caps i forgot to turn them off. i am not yelling at you but i will if you say you bought it anyway!!! good luck on your quest. p.s. remember you have to stop it once you get it rolling and the brakes are not up to that task either.
2 RESCUE PUPS: SUSITNA AND CRYSTAL. RIP ALYESKA!
SAABDOCTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 03:02 PM   #7
reelnauti

Thanks for all the input!!! I figured I was spot on and of course they are always looking for a sale. I did talk to one of the dealer mechanics, and with the already over sized breaks and xtra add ons for support on the rear end it would be really close to call!!! It just gives me the excuse to discuss a bigger tow vehicle with the 1st mate.
reelnauti is offline   Reply With Quote