Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Keystone Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 03-03-2024, 11:10 AM   #1
LadyCPA

Removing the kitchen backsplash

I am not a fan of the generic backsplash in the kitchen. That white tile you see in many models. Fortunately within a few months of purchase, it started coming off the wall. It is lose for approximately 6 inches, so i can see that it was installed using a few rows of double stick tape.
Has anyone removed the backsplash from their unit? Do you have any suggestions on how to do this with the least amount of damage to the wall?

All thoughts and sarcastic remarks accepted, as well as suggestions on what to replace this with.

R
Columbia SC
LadyCPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2024, 11:16 AM   #2
LHaven

The usual solution to double-stick tape is "heat gun," but if this backsplash is thick, that would be a challenge.
Old 03-03-2024, 11:42 AM   #3
Martian

Music wire behind it to cut the tape. As you work it back and forth it will cut thru. If you can get an eye on what is back there a filet knife would work also but do not pull on the backsplash too hard or it will pull the finish off of the wall.

2018 Ram 1500 crew cab, 2020 Cougar 22RBS
Just the two of us on the roam with our two Jacks.
The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits. A.E.
Martian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2024, 12:00 PM   #4
chuckster57
Site Team

The wall behind the backsplash will be the same as the rest of the same wall. If your looking to replace it, then I wouldn't be too worried about pulling any of the wall finish off. Just cut the paper at the edges so it doesn't peel and then use a putty knife and take your frustrations out.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2024, 03:49 AM   #5
Mikendebbie

Concerning the reinstallation of a new backsplash - I have seen YouTubers make a case against using peel-n-stick backsplash materials. If that is true what methods work best for installing new backsplash materials?

I have tile backsplashes in the Montana but I have no idea how the tile is attached to the wall. We will not be replacing the tile backsplash, but we recently purchased an older Class A that DW wants to do something different for a backsplash. I don’t want to do anything until I figure out what methods work…screw/glue/grout??? My first thought was to find or build a “unit” with desired face materials that screws to the wall. Fortunately this project is on the back-burner for now…but it WILL raise its ugly head again soon an I will be forced to act!
In the sticks near Austin TX
Aussie Gus+Texas Heeler Jimmy
Mikendebbie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2024, 09:16 AM   #6
LHaven

A "plug-compatible" direct replacement for peel-n-stick is something like Liquid Nails (construction adhesive), but be sure you will never want to get it off again.
Old 04-04-2024, 11:29 AM   #7
LadyCPA

Almost there

Thank you to all who gave suggestions on getting the backsplash off the wall. To be honest, it was so poorly installed, it was not all that difficult. As for the replacement - WH and I have decided to use thin copper sheeting as the backsplash. We did it for our kitchen many years ago and we still like it, so decided that is the way we will go. The copper should arrive by next week, so once I have completed this project I will post pictures.
Again, thank you for the help.
Columbia SC
LadyCPA is offline   Reply With Quote