Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Welcome to KeystoneForums.com! > New Member Check in!
Click Here to Login

Old 02-11-2024, 07:23 AM   #1
bill59

Hello from West Texas Looking to buy a Cougar 5th Wheel .

We are currently RVing in a GD travel trailer. Looking to upgrade to a 5th wheel this spring. Went to an RV show and got to look at some Cougars and were really impressed. We like the 354FLS or the 320RDS. We like the designs where the living room and kitchen are separated and prefer not to have an island.

I've noticed the 354FLS is listed as dealer stock only. Is the front living not that popular? I see other brands also going away from that design.

I will be towing with a 24 F-350 SB, 6.7.
bill59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2024, 07:48 AM   #2
jsb5717

Welcome aboard! There are a lot of different floor plans to choose from for sure. Basic concepts, like front living rooms, do tend to come and go, although I don't see the front living styles going away since they do seem fairly popular. But that's the beauty of so many floor plans and their variations...there's usually something that works for everyone. FWIW, we moved from a TT to a 5th wheel 30 years ago and never looked back. We both enjoy the experience better.

You've got the right truck to allow you a lot of options and should serve you well with both of the choices you listed. Grab the trailer that fits you best and enjoy the journey.
Demco Recon Hitch on RAM Puck Ball
jsb5717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2024, 04:51 PM   #3
wiredgeorge

The front living room models are sweet. If you look at RVTrader.com you will note there do not seem to be any 2024 354FLS for sale but there are several used within 400 miles of Alpine. There is a new 2023 in Victoria (I know that is a long drive) for $50K. I bet they are not making that model anymore and are just selling off what they have on hand.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2024, 06:20 AM   #4
dutchmensport

Welcome to the forums .... and in my opinion...????

Go with the front living room model Cougar. Our Montana High Country is a front living room and it's a fabulous layout. Once you've had a front living room in a fifth wheel, you'll never want anything else again.

One thing you'll discover if you select the front upper bedroom variety, is the heat and cooling difference between the upper level and the bottom level because of walls and usually a bathroom dividing the two floors.

In an enclosed upper space, it will be hot in the summer and cold in the winter, while the main floor is the temperature you really want. With the open floor plan, no wall separating upper level from bottom level, the temperature difference is much more consistent.

There are lots and lots and lots of posts on forum sites from fifth wheel owners asking questions how to manage the temperature in a front bedroom because of the difference between the two floors. Fans are the answer, but who wants a bunch of fans sitting around to trip over?

Anyway, do your research, ask these types of questions, and don't forget?????...

How functional is the camper with the slides pulled in?

Good luck in your choice. But really, both models are nice. It's really a matter of which floor plan the wife likes the best! That is your ultimate decision. (happy wife, happy life)......
Old 02-13-2024, 12:47 PM   #5
bill59

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredgeorge View Post
The front living room models are sweet. If you look at RVTrader.com you will note there do not seem to be any 2024 354FLS for sale but there are several used within 400 miles of Alpine. There is a new 2023 in Victoria (I know that is a long drive) for $50K. I bet they are not making that model anymore and are just selling off what they have on hand.
Thanks,

I have looked at many of those close by. The Keystone website lists the 354FLS as dealer stock only. I'm hoping someone will want to unload their 23 stock when I get ready to buy. I will be at least 2 months before I am ready to buy.
bill59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2024, 04:42 AM   #6
spicercars

Welcome from northern Mn. I love the front living room floorplan.
Old 02-15-2024, 08:00 AM   #7
Camping family

Traded our 29rks for a Montana 3761fl love it. The front living room makes a big difference. But this model does have an inland in the kitchen; however, there is still plenty of room
2021 3761 fl Montana 5th wheel
Pulled with a 2022 F350 King Ranch
Retired LEO after 35 years just enjoying life now.
Camping family is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2024, 08:17 AM   #8
TXiceman

Anything over 28 feet in length needs two A/C units....15kbtuh. In the Texas heat you need the capacity as the Keystone trailers are really just 3 season trailers. Pay no attention to the climate claims.

If it has the big front windshield. I would pass on thar model. The heat gain is horrible.

Ken
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2024, 08:59 AM   #9
reveye

My wife and I went to the Harrisburg, PA show a year ago looking for that exact model. They didn't have one there, but the Hanover, PA store had one left in stock. We bought it on the spot. After one year of camping, we absolutely love the 354FLS. I did upgrade the TV in the fireplace as well as the head unit and speakers in the ceiling, but the rest of the rig has been top notch. The front living room is a complete game changer for us and we are so glad we pulled the trigger on it.
Old 02-22-2024, 09:03 AM   #10
reveye

Here's alist of about ten new ones and a few used ones around the country.

https://rv.campingworld.com/searchre...e&model=354fls

Tags
5th wheel, cougar