Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Keystone Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 12-17-2011, 08:27 PM   #1
nick

Diy

I'm a big do it yourself kid of guy. I'm what I would consider fairly intelligent. But I have an issue with my keystone users manual. It's not very descriptive or "model" specific. I wanted to winterize my Travel trailer myself this year and there was nothing in the manual about removing the magazine rack to gain access to the bypass valve for the water heater. Thankfully the service technician that winterized my camper showed me how to do it so I can do it myself next year.
Does anyone else have an issue or am I just an idiot? 😊
nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 08:48 PM   #2
Festus2
Site Team

Unfortunately, the Keystone Owner's Manuals are not model specific and they do not tell you where , for example, the pump or bypass valves are located in each model. So owners are left to search for them or specifically ask their location when they do the walk through. In my manual, there are some basic instructions on winterization but you first need to know where the key components of the system are located. If the manual does not tell you this information, then this process becomes more complicated than it needs to be.
If you are relying on your owner's manual for detailed information on your model, you will be disappointed. The manuals are generic --- "one size fits all". I have gone online and downloaded manuals and other information about the slideouts and other components. You might have to do the same for your RV.
Yes, almost everyone has an issue with the manual. No, you are not an idiot.
Old 12-17-2011, 09:37 PM   #3
f6bits

I have to keep remembering that a trailer is built more like a house than a car. The builder improvises as the trailer is assembled. Just as neighboring houses with the same floor plans have variations, so do trailers. So the home/trailer owner has a lot to figure out on their own.

2011 Passport 2590BH
2009 Ford F150 SuperCrew FX4 5.4L w/Max Tow
f6bits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 02:09 AM   #4
SteveC7010

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick View Post
I'm a big do it yourself kid of guy. I'm what I would consider fairly intelligent. But I have an issue with my keystone users manual. It's not very descriptive or "model" specific. I wanted to winterize my Travel trailer myself this year and there was nothing in the manual about removing the magazine rack to gain access to the bypass valve for the water heater. Thankfully the service technician that winterized my camper showed me how to do it so I can do it myself next year.
Does anyone else have an issue or am I just an idiot? 😊
If you read over some of the other threads on this topic, you will see that many owners have had the same issue, and the questions are pretty much all the same each time. As Festus has pointed out, each of us needs to learn about our coaches and discover the locations of things in order to be able to either do these maintenance tasks for ourselves, or to be able to explain problems or issues to others.

Many of the answers to these questions are already here on the forum available for the discovery whenever needed.

'11 Cougar 326MKS loaded with mods
'12 Ford F250 SuperCab 6.7 PowerStroke Diesel
Amateur Radio: KD2IAT (146.520) GMRS: WQPG808 (462.675 TPL 141.3)
SteveC7010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 06:43 AM   #5
Bob Landry

The water heater bypass is always at the water heater where the hot and cold connections are. You may have two manual valves or one. If you have the setup with one valve, there is a fitting attached to the water heater that looks like a pipe nipple. It's actually a check valve. I replaced my check valve with a manual bypass because I had read stories about it sticking and shutting off hot water to the trailer. It;s easy to do. Take the "guts" out of the check valve or keep it for posterity and replace it with a pipe nipple and replace the "T" in that line with a three-way manual valve. All of the fittings are threaded/screw-on.
Bob Landry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 01:29 PM   #6
Exsailor

After the first time

I tried to do any maintenance I came away wishing I had asked more questions during the walk thru. Those owners manuals ASSume you already know what your doing, not true for most of us. Your in good company...

Exsailor from MS
2008 35 Ft Montana
2012 GMC Duramax Diesel
Exsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 03:04 PM   #7
Handysam

My owners manual became a nice fire starter, they might as well give out National Geographic magazines for manuals. Good thing is we are here to help, and no, your not an idiot. Happy Camping, Sam