Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 06-07-2010, 06:37 PM   #1
popup

metal roof trim insert

Greetings all,

new to site and first post. i was cleaning my roof today an noticed the plastic insert along the metal roof trim is coming loose from the top and catching alot of water. since the screw heads are exposed i'm worried about water traveling within the insert and causing water damage. Anyone who's ever changed one have any tips. Also any better type to get and are these a 1/2" or 3/4"

08 springdale 296 BHSSR
popup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 02:40 PM   #2
GBHRPS

I recently installed new end gutter extenders on my unit. In order to do that I first had to remove the vinyl insert to get at the end screw of the roof gutter. Since my trailer is 6 years old, that vinyl insert was rock hard and the vinyl was wrapped around the end of the aluminum gutter and tucked underneath it, then the screw was inserted into the aluminum gutter, but not through the vinyl.

What I did was to take my automotive heat gun (a good hair dryer should work as well) and heat up the vinyl until it was very pliable and stretchy. That allowed me to pull the vinyl out of its track and stretch it out of the way in order to get at the screw underneath.

You may find that you can do the same. Hit the vinyl with some heat and simply mould/push it back into place until it cools and takes a set. Problem solved. You may wish to check each of the screws underneath and reseal any that look suspect before you replace the vinyl. Good Luck!

Gene
GBHRPS is offline   Reply With Quote