Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tires, Tires, Tires!
Click Here to Login

Old 07-12-2023, 02:35 PM   #21
uechikid

Thanks everyone for your help. I ordered Maxxis tire, the 8 ply model.
2008 Royal Star Venture
uechikid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2023, 02:41 PM   #22
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by uechikid View Post
Maxxis was at one time a go to tire for RVs but you don't see them for sale as much anymore. Good luck and let us know how they work for you over time.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2023, 02:52 PM   #23
UKLimey

Quote:
Excellent choice.
Our Website
UKLimey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2023, 04:34 PM   #24
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Maxxis, at least in the past, has not chosen to display a speed rating on their M8088 ST tire line. What that means is that with no "molded speed rating on the sidewall" the tires are only certified to the established 65MPH speed rating.

In recent months, I've seen some "internet tire specialty shops" with a variety of speed ratings displayed on their Maxxis M8008 tire spec charts. One as high as 106 MPH and others at 87 and 78 MPH.

So, if you do choose Maxxis ST tires, check the sidewall for a speed rating. Not having one means you are limited to towing no faster than 65 MPH if you intend to stay within your tire ratings.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2023, 12:18 PM   #25
uechikid

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
Maxxis, at least in the past, has not chosen to display a speed rating on their M8088 ST tire line. What that means is that with no "molded speed rating on the sidewall" the tires are only certified to the established 65MPH speed rating.

In recent months, I've seen some "internet tire specialty shops" with a variety of speed ratings displayed on their Maxxis M8008 tire spec charts. One as high as 106 MPH and others at 87 and 78 MPH.

So, if you do choose Maxxis ST tires, check the sidewall for a speed rating. Not having one means you are limited to towing no faster than 65 MPH if you intend to stay within your tire ratings.....
What and or where is the speed rating. There are so many numbers and letters on tires I get confused.
2008 Royal Star Venture
Old 07-13-2023, 12:35 PM   #26
Max23

Trailer Tires speed rating is usually found right after the Load Range. Mine is a load range D with no speed rating stamped there so I have to assume it's a 65mph tire. They are garbage TK tires that I have not been able to replace yet so I'm not surprised. I baby them at no faster than 65 anyway just to be sure until I can get them replaced. Ughhh.
Max23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2023, 01:46 PM   #27
uechikid

When I took my wheels to the tire shop today I noticed that another one of the old tires had a separation in the tread about a foot long. Good thing I didn’t take the trailer down there. I might not have made it.
2008 Royal Star Venture
Old 07-13-2023, 03:59 PM   #28
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
What and or where is the speed rating. There are so many numbers and letters on tires I get confused.
There is a load of information on every tire sidewall. It helps to have a basic understanding on what is molded into the tires you buy so you better understand their limitations.

Here's a link to "sidewall interpretation" from Tire Rack.com. Their site also has charts that will explain the numbers in the load rating and the letters in the speed rating. https://www.tirerack.com/upgrade-gar...-markings-mean

Another good site is: https://mobileautocanada.com/understanding-tire-code/ The load rating and speed rating charts are all "on the same page.

Here's the basic sidewall information shown in drawing form:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	TIRE SIDEWALL INFORMATION.JPG
Views:	131
Size:	52.9 KB
ID:	44548  

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 07-13-2023, 07:22 PM   #29
markdol1

tires

Quote:
I have a Bullet 269RLS with Trailer King 205/75-15 on it. I’ve had 2 blow outs with this brand and want to replace all the tires with a different brand. I thought I wanted Michelin but they don’t make tires in that size. I was all set to get Goodyears but the guy at the tire store said he’s not a fan of Goodyear trailer tires. So, here I am looking for advice from actual users.
Thanks.
Who cares what he is a fan of.Does he have a trailer? i have em and they are wearing nicely so far and feel great on my 38 ft cougar .many folks are choosing them .I just spoke to my sister and she just got a set too! Go by what feedback experienced campers say, maybe the dealer just makes a better profit on another brand. Also dont listen when they say "you dont need them balanced".
markdol1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2023, 08:54 PM   #30
uechikid

Quote:
Originally Posted by markdol1 View Post
Who cares what he is a fan of.Does he have a trailer? i have em and they are wearing nicely so far and feel great on my 38 ft cougar .many folks are choosing them .I just spoke to my sister and she just got a set too! Go by what feedback experienced campers say, maybe the dealer just makes a better profit on another brand. Also dont listen when they say "you dont need them balanced".
That’s why I asked the question here. I’ve had very good experiences with this group. Many are extremely knowledgeable and most are willing to go out of their way to help.
And yes, I always have tires balanced.
2008 Royal Star Venture
Old 07-18-2023, 07:16 PM   #31
markdol1

tire brand

Quote:
That’s why I asked the question here. I’ve had very good experiences with this group. Many are extremely knowledgeable and most are willing to go out of their way to help.
And yes, I always have tires balanced.
Sorry to sound heavy handed, I am just sick of sales and bad service advice from people who dont know any more than a child about rv details. Thank you to all the kind folks whom i have asked for advice on this board so far you have been right 100%.
markdol1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2023, 05:38 AM   #32
jxnbbl

Last years "long trip" was almost a disaster due to the original (new) tires on the trailer. From recommendation in this forum I ended up with the

Carlisle Radial Trail HD Trailer Tire - ST225/75R15 LRE 10PLY Rated

I know you can't use a 15" tire but have about 8k miles on them this year and they have been great....I additionally now have 2 spares with me at all times.

Anyways a question for the tire experts. The above tires are "made in China" as well as some of the other popular/good brands (noted at campgrounds). What adds the "bomb" to the reputation?
2023 Ram 3500 6.7L diesel, 3.73 ratio
jxnbbl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2023, 07:21 AM   #33
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by jxnbbl View Post
Last years "long trip" was almost a disaster due to the original (new) tires on the trailer. From recommendation in this forum I ended up with the

Carlisle Radial Trail HD Trailer Tire - ST225/75R15 LRE 10PLY Rated

I know you can't use a 15" tire but have about 8k miles on them this year and they have been great....I additionally now have 2 spares with me at all times.

Anyways a question for the tire experts. The above tires are "made in China" as well as some of the other popular/good brands (noted at campgrounds). What adds the "bomb" to the reputation?
The major reputation comes from the manufacturing process and how the tires are built...

Carlisle is an American based tire manufacturer (Carlstar, LLC) based in Franklin, TN. In order to take advantage of the cheaper chinese labor market, Carlisle built a tire manufacturing facility in china. Carlisle manages the facility, supervises the production, transportation, storage and delivery of the tires to the US. From start to finish, the Carlisle tires you buy are "American tires built with cheap chinese labor"...

On the other hand, Trailer King tires are built in a chinese tire manufacturing facility, managed and supervised by chinese nationals. The tires are produced, transported, stored and delivered to a warehouse owned by TBC, Brands. TBC, headquartered in Palm Beach Gardens, FL, describes itself as " one of the largest distributors of private brand tires in North America."

Note the difference ??? Carlisle "is a tire company that builds its tires in china" while TBC "is a tire distributor that imports a private brand (TK) from china and sells them in the US.....

In other words, Carlise is an "American tire, built by an American tire company in china under US management while TK is a "private chinese brand, built in china under limited/no US management and imported by a tire distributor and sold in the US.

That, IMO, is the major difference in a Carlisle ST tire and a "china bomb tire"..... YMMV

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 07-19-2023, 12:21 PM   #34
CWtheMan

Let's look at trailer tires using tire industry standards. Regardless of the brand, your replacement tires MUST have the ability to provide a load capacity equal to or greater than what the OE tires provided via inflation pressures.

One of the most popular OE tires for 6000# GAWR axles are the ST235/80R16 LRE.

China made tires with that size listed on their sidewalls will show a maximum load capacity of 3520# at 80 PSI. The GY Endurance and Maxxis brands list that same size as having a maximum load capacity of 3420# at 80 PSI. They do not qualify as replacements for the OE ST235/80R16 LRE tires.
CWtheMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2023, 12:39 PM   #35
jxnbbl

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWtheMan View Post
Let's look at trailer tires using tire industry standards. Regardless of the brand, your replacement tires MUST have the ability to provide a load capacity equal to or greater than what the OE tires provided via inflation pressures.

China made tires with that size listed on their sidewalls will show a maximum load capacity of 3520# at 80 PSI. The GY Endurance and Maxxis brands list that same size as having a maximum load capacity of 3420# at 80 PSI. They do not qualify as replacements for the OE ST235/80R16 LRE tires.

I don't know if this was meant for my previous post, but the change to the Carlisle was from Rainier brand - and was something like a +300 pound increase in rating. Of course the psi is now 80 instead of 65 going from D to E rated tires.
2023 Ram 3500 6.7L diesel, 3.73 ratio
jxnbbl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2023, 12:46 PM   #36
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWtheMan View Post

????? The math on this doesn't add up.....

6000 lb axle means 3000 pounds per tire. A tire rating of 3520 or a tire rating of 3420 adds up to 7040 or 6840. Both provide tires that support the 6000 pound axle.....

Did you mean to use a 7000 pound axle in this example ??????

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 07-19-2023, 01:53 PM   #37
wiredgeorge

Quote:
????? The math on this doesn't add up.....

6000 lb axle means 3000 pounds per tire. A tire rating of 3520 or a tire rating of 3420 adds up to 7040 or 6840. Both provide tires that support the 6000 pound axle.....

Did you mean to use a 7000 pound axle in this example ??????
I feel like Alice staring down into the rabbit hole and contemplating going in. Should I? Another tiring tire thread. The OP got some credible answers and now we will start talking optimum inflation PSI for LRE tires then some guy will wander in with the most confusion chart.... we have been here before.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2023, 03:06 PM   #38
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredgeorge View Post
I feel like Alice staring down into the rabbit hole and contemplating going in. Should I? Another tiring tire thread. The OP got some credible answers and now we will start talking optimum inflation PSI for LRE tires then some guy will wander in with the most confusion chart.... we have been here before.
Many times !!!!! Maybe even too many to painfully remember.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 07-19-2023, 04:16 PM   #39
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
The major reputation comes from the manufacturing process and how the tires are built...

Carlisle is an American based tire manufacturer (Carlstar, LLC) based in Franklin, TN. In order to take advantage of the cheaper chinese labor market, Carlisle built a tire manufacturing facility in china. Carlisle manages the facility, supervises the production, transportation, storage and delivery of the tires to the US. From start to finish, the Carlisle tires you buy are "American tires built with cheap chinese labor"...

On the other hand, Trailer King tires are built in a chinese tire manufacturing facility, managed and supervised by chinese nationals. The tires are produced, transported, stored and delivered to a warehouse owned by TBC, Brands. TBC, headquartered in Palm Beach Gardens, FL, describes itself as " one of the largest distributors of private brand tires in North America."

Note the difference ??? Carlisle "is a tire company that builds its tires in china" while TBC "is a tire distributor that imports a private brand (TK) from china and sells them in the US.....

In other words, Carlise is an "American tire, built by an American tire company in china under US management while TK is a "private chinese brand, built in china under limited/no US management and imported by a tire distributor and sold in the US.

That, IMO, is the major difference in a Carlisle ST tire and a "china bomb tire"..... YMMV

And just to amplify on this a bit; the tire manufacturers, good and bad, have their own formulas for rubber compounds, tire and tread design, vulcanization etc. Rubber compounds are formulated to accomplish certain tasks ie; long mileage (hard), grip (soft) etc. and all things in between. Some high dollar tires are purpose specific and get quite spendy. Others try to do all things and some are made to be cheap...enter the "bomb". When they try to use the cheapest products (no U.S. oversight, formulas or construction standards) for the components, construction then oversight you are assured of an inferior product. Now some may say they have to pass "industry standards" - technically yes. For how long? Long enough to get out the door and on a transport ship to "you".
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2023, 04:46 AM   #40
CWtheMan

UTQC grading is not required for ST trailer tires.

Tire compounds are confidential.

Load range letters are the only official standard for load capacity measurements for ST & LT tires.

Load index numbers found on ST & LT tires provide the tires speed rating letters. They follow the index numbers.
CWtheMan is offline   Reply With Quote