Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tires, Tires, Tires!
Click Here to Login

Old 08-09-2023, 08:11 PM   #1
Tireman9

Tire questions

As an actual Tire Design Engineer (Ret) and RV owner I monitor this and other RV forums and try and answer questions based on my 50+ years experience. It would make my job easier if you could provide the following information so I don't have to start out asking questions which may seem like I am making things difficult. Without the facts I would be forced to guess and as an Engineer I do not want to Guess.

1. What does your Certification Label say for GAWR, Tire size and Load Rating.

2. Are your tires P type, LT Type, ST type or Metric (no letter before the numbers)
3. Truck scale readings when the RV is loaded to it's heaviest. Individual axle readings are better than the total if you have two axles. The weight should be when you are hooked up as if you were traveling.
4. What is your normal cold tire PSI?
5. Do you run a TPMS?
6. What is your Low Pressure warning level set on your TPMS.
7. Why are you changing tires?
8. What are the new tires you are using (Size, type and LR)

9. What is your question?
Old 08-25-2023, 02:59 PM   #2
Pathman

Would like to get your expert advice on new tire purchase but can’t seem to figure out how to attach pic of my tire placard. It’s asking for a URL?
2022 Ram 2500 Laramie 6.4 Hemi 4:10 gears.
2022 Cougar Half Ton 29RLI
Pathman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2023, 03:25 PM   #3
bobbecky

With your photo on your computer, and when composing a reply, there is is a paper clip symbol on the header that you click, and then you browse in that window for the photo and then click upload and that will be in your reply to the thread.
bobbecky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2023, 04:33 PM   #4
Tireman9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pathman View Post
Would like to get your expert advice on new tire purchase but can’t seem to figure out how to attach pic of my tire placard. It’s asking for a URL?

OK Just post the numbers as answers to my questions #1 -#8
Old 08-25-2023, 05:25 PM   #5
Pathman

Apparently is doesn’t work from an I phone, I’ll try from the computer, thanks.
Old 08-25-2023, 05:35 PM   #6
Pathman

Here’s what I can provide number wise. If this isn’t enough then that’s ok, this is all I have.

1- 5100# ea axle.
2- ST225/75R15E
3- trailer scale weight 8460#
4- cold PSI 75
5- no TPMS yet
7- replacing OEM tires.
Old 08-26-2023, 04:38 AM   #7
CWtheMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pathman View Post
Here’s what I can provide number wise. If this isn’t enough then that’s ok, this is all I have.

1- 5100# ea axle.
2- ST225/75R15E
3- trailer scale weight 8460#
4- cold PSI 75
5- no TPMS yet
7- replacing OEM tires.
The trailer’s federal certification label gives the owner a list of minimums and maximums. On it you will find the trailer’s GVWR, it's maximum loaded weight. Then there is the vehicle manufacturer’s maximum GAWR for each axle. The tire and wheel sizes are minimums for that vehicle as is the recommended inflation pressures for the Original Equipment tires.

The label for trailers shall be affixed to a location on the forward half of the left side, such that it is easily readable from outside the vehicle without moving any part of the vehicle.

Vehicle brochures are not official documents.
CWtheMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2023, 08:35 AM   #8
Pathman

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWtheMan View Post
The trailer’s federal certification label gives the owner a list of minimums and maximums. On it you will find the trailer’s GVWR, it's maximum loaded weight. Then there is the vehicle manufacturer’s maximum GAWR for each axle. The tire and wheel sizes are minimums for that vehicle as is the recommended inflation pressures for the Original Equipment tires.

The label for trailers shall be affixed to a location on the forward half of the left side, such that it is easily readable from outside the vehicle without moving any part of the vehicle.

Vehicle brochures are not official documents.
Here we go!!!��

So the numbers I provided above did come from the trailer label, not a brochure.
The reason I didn’t send a pic of the actual label is because it’s a PIA to load pics on this site from my phone.