Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 04-27-2011, 10:40 AM   #1
DTJ9610

Wire/Plumbing Schematics

Is there anywhere to get the schematics for Keystone campers. Ideally for a 2011 Laredo 303TG. Looking to see the layout of the wires and plubming.

Previous Trailers
2011 Jayco 17z

Previous Tows
2007 Toyota Sienna
2008 Toyota Tundra DC 5.7L V8 4x4
DTJ9610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 11:29 AM   #2
Festus2
Site Team

There have been a number of members who have asked this same question that you have. I am not sure if any of them have had any success obtaining schematics from Keystone. Unfortunately, it seems that it isn't easy to get your hands on any wiring/plumbing diagrams for any Keystone product.
If you are successful in your search, we would all be interested in finding out where we can get them. Good luck.
Old 04-27-2011, 01:06 PM   #3
JRTJH
Site Team

I think you will find that there are no specific plumbing plans or electrical schematics available. From pictures I've seen of various RV's on this website (and on others) even the same models don't appear to be plumbed/wired the same way. If those pictures are any indication of how RV's are wired, no schematic or plan would be beneficial.

As with house wiring, there's a "general" objective and no two are wired the same, however basically, they meet the same objective.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 08:54 AM   #4
Johnnyfry

Talking Wiring

I have to agree. It probably depends on which crew is doing the wiring/plumbing on the day yours was built. Too bad they didn't take a bunch of digital photos before the skin went on.

Idid that many years ago when I built a house. It saved me a ton of heartburn later on.

John
Johnnyfry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 07:06 AM   #5
Ozarkcamper

Exclamation schematics

I have a 07 Montana 3400RL and have been trying to find structural drawings to know where tanks, plumbing and valves are. Both of my valves leak which is a hassle. I put a bandaid on it with another valve at discharge hookup.

Has anyone ever went to a dealer and asked for copies of structural or electrical schematics?

Thanks and look forward to some answers.
Ozarkcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 08:58 PM   #6
JRTJH
Site Team

I think you're asking for something that's either nonexistant or so secretly guarded that nobody will even admit that it even exists. I've never seen a hardware layout, electrical schematic or plumbing diagram for any Keystone product.

Years ago, when I had an Airstream (they say it's the bestest you can buy) the owner's manual for it was the size of a family bible, but it didn't have any specific wiring diagrams, just a generalized explanation of what was included in the purchase price. Then, when we bought a Holdiay Rambler, we found that the owner's packet for it was pretty much a plastic bag with all the appliance information clumped together. There were some recipees for camping meals and suggestions on how to launder the curtains, but nothing any more substantial than that.

Good luck in your "quest" but me thinks you'll have the same information when you finish as what you have right now.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 09-10-2011, 03:21 AM   #7
SteveC7010

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
Years ago, when I had an Airstream (they say it's the bestest you can buy) the owner's manual for it was the size of a family bible, but it didn't have any specific wiring diagrams, just a generalized explanation of what was included in the purchase price. Then, when we bought a Holiday Rambler, we found that the owner's packet for it was pretty much a plastic bag with all the appliance information clumped together. There were some recipees for camping meals and suggestions on how to launder the curtains, but nothing any more substantial than that.
We owned a Sunline for 11+ years, and it was pretty much the same story. The manual was some generic RV care and maintenance info plus all the installed appliance manuals. When they were still in business, the Sunline factory was pretty responsive to requests for drawings, but the actual drawings were disappointing at best.

I am of the general opinion that if you want to find things in an RV, grab your power drill driver and a #2 square driver bit, and start opening things up.

'11 Cougar 326MKS loaded with mods
'12 Ford F250 SuperCab 6.7 PowerStroke Diesel
Amateur Radio: KD2IAT (146.520) GMRS: WQPG808 (462.675 TPL 141.3)
SteveC7010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 06:00 AM   #8
Ozarkcamper

Question

I agree Steve. It can't be that complicated...just the hassle. Thanks for the reply.
Old 09-10-2011, 11:20 AM   #9
JRTJH
Site Team

You've hit the nail on the head, Steve. The only "sure fired way" to know where a tank sits is to eyeball it with your own eyes. Taking a part of the bottom off, looking and exploring, then putting it back and moving on down the line will give you pretty much the best overall picture of what's underneath. As for inside, if you remove a "known panel" say for the water pump, if you pay close attention to what's there, then remove the bathroom tub/shower access panels, you can pretty much tell what goes through the wall and under the step from one area to another.

As for as electrical goes, we all know where the converter is located, if you follow the "red wire" from behind the converter, through the floor, and then go under the trailer and eyeball that red wire, you can follow it pretty much to the next "blind spot" and sort of figure out what went where.

Funny thing about Keystone, when I installed my trailer hitch/wiring, I found out that keystone didn't use the industry standard yellow/green/brown/white wiring for the trailer connector. On my trailer, the wires are black, white red and blue. Now that took some "thinkin' and cussin' to get the lights working, but it really wasn't that bad, just frustrating that what should have been a "no brainer" turned into a makeshift ordeal because of wire colors that didn't follow code. It would have been nice to have a wiring schematic so I knew what color was what, but like everyone else, I know it ain't happenin, not with Keystone.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 09-13-2011, 10:49 AM   #10
SAABDOCTOR

Wiring

SORRY TO SAY I DID SOME ELECTRICAL WORK ON MY 03 MONTANA 5TH WHEEL AND IT WAS LIKE A FERRARI WHEN THEY RAN OUT OF RED WIRE SPLICE IN A BLUE ONE AND KEEP GOING. YES THE OLD FERRARI'S WERE LIKE THAT! SO YOU NEDD A CONTINUITY TESTER TO CHECK WIRE RUNS. A P.I.T.A FOR SURE. AS FOR DIAGRAMS I DID ASK THE DEALER WHEN I PICKED UP MY NEW 2010 375FL. THE SERVICE MANAGER LAUGHED AND SAID IF YOU FIND THEM HE WOULD BUY THEM FROM ME ,SO I QUESS WE ARE ON OUR OWN.
SAABDOCTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 07:24 PM   #11
LM3929

electrical Diagrams are available at other manufactures

Before we bought our new 24 ft. Cougar we had a Class C Winnabego and their WEB site has every year, every make, every model, electrical and plumbing diagrams and parts list posted on their site available to everyone FOR FREE.

Lorne M.
LM3929 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 01:36 PM   #12
Ozarkcamper

Talking Schematics

So where can a guy find these schematics?
2007 Keystone Montana 3400RL, with bad decals, pulled by a 2012 F-350 Lariet with 6.7L Powerstroke. Best pulling truck I have had. Me old 2007 GMC Duramax/Allison shot craps going up very steep incline and the tranny couldn't handle it.
Old 08-05-2013, 03:02 PM   #13
Festus2
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozarkcamper View Post
So where can a guy find these schematics?
Ozarkcamper -
As we have said many times before, "you can't". Numerous members have all tried asking Keystone for schematics of one description or another and have been told the same thing...."we do not make them available".

For some unknown reason, Keystone will not make them available to anyone. If you should be so lucky as to ask for and be given a schematic, you could offer it up for sale on the forum and we would beat a path to your door.

Or, if you wish, donate them to one of the Moderators and we will give you a lifetime free membership to the forum.

Good luck in your quest for the Holy Grail.
Old 08-05-2013, 06:20 PM   #14
suza

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnnyfry View Post
I have to agree. It probably depends on which crew is doing the wiring/plumbing on the day yours was built. Too bad they didn't take a bunch of digital photos before the skin went on.

Idid that many years ago when I built a house. It saved me a ton of heartburn later on.

John
We did this when we built a new home. Very valuable and easy to do with digital photography.

As far as schematics for Keystones, I find that even the service departments don't know until they begin working
Bridge, OR
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
2014 Cougar 279RKS
2013 F-350 Super Duty Powerstroke 4WD LB CC

https://i1365.photobucket.com/albums/...ps78607eca.jpg
suza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 09:42 AM   #15
Fredfaa

I have contacted Keystone a few times asking if schematics and or drawings are available...even for purchase. I received an email from a young lady named Cheryl Clayton and she said "I regret to inform Keystone does not have wiring or plumbing diagrams available, due to the rapid changes done to our units. "

Personally I think this is, how do I put this... WRONG. RV manufacturers and dealers hold you hostage by not giving information while holding your RV sometimes for weeks and possibly months trying to fix a problem.

Like most RV folks, we just want to understand how our RVs are put together. If something is broke...sure I'll take to the dealer and have it fixed. I just want to make sure it is actually broke as well as better understand how my RV functions.
Fredfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 03:31 PM   #16
Bob Landry

You will get nothing but a lame excuse from keystone.

Bitter Gun Owner
Bitter Clinger
Armed Infidel
Bob Landry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 03:49 PM   #17
Festus2
Site Team

fredfaa -
You've already experienced first hand what Keystone's response to your request has been. Lame excuses, irrational explanations and other utterings from Keystone are, unfortunately, just the way it is. Most of us have stopped banging our heads against the wall in trying to understand Keystone's rational knowing that it is an exercise in futility.

This practice may be, as you described, "wrong" but we could spend a lot of wasted time and energy in trying to make it right. I'd suggest that you find something else more worthy of banging your head........
Old 06-20-2014, 01:50 PM   #18
alexsbuddy

Spoke to Keystone

I spoke directly with Keystone on this subject about 8 months ago and they do not provide schematics.....the reason I was told was that they do not follow a set of plans for the infrastructure and, therefore, they are not available. Not sure that I really buy this, but they were very cordial in explaining it to me. My solution to this has been to draw out my own schematics as I do upgrades and/or repairs. Doesn't provide for much as my work has been minimal but at least it is a start. I plan on keeping my Sprinter for quite awhile...it is in great shape and we love it.

alexsbuddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 03:02 PM   #19
jsmith948

I think I know how our 5er was wired. The guy installing receptacles grabs a pre-cut length of romex (no particular length) and he attaches it to the receptacle he just finished. He pulls the romex through the cabinet/wall until it's snug. That is were the next receptacle is placed. Totally random - luck of the draw. The plumbing is different. The guy grabs a random length of pex and just coils up the extra if it is too long - if it is too short, he just adds a compression fitting. If there are extra fittings/parts/screws, he just throws them in an unfinished wall

Jack & Marty
2018 Laredo 298 SRL
2011 F-250 SB Crew Cab 4x4 6.7L
jsmith948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 04:05 PM   #20
SAD
Permanent User Ban

I am continually amazed by RV'ers that are confused by the manufacturers refusal to provide these schematics.

Would any of you contact the builder of your home (either before purchase or after the fact) and expect them to be able to provide the same? The answer is likely "No"...
SAD is offline   Reply With Quote