Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login

Old 09-07-2023, 01:52 PM   #21
LHaven

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedWolf View Post
Per Ford's towing sheets I should be able to tow 9400 lbs. More than enough for my purposes.
The first trick is to disabuse yourself that the manufacturer's "towing number" is at all meaningful. That's a "pull limit." What you always run out of first is "carry limit" -- payload vs. your tongue and truck contents (people, gear) weight.

What's your tongue weight at max trailer capacity? What's the weight of your people and truck gear? Now, what's the payload limit off your truck's yellow sticker? Compare the totals and see whether or not you're under water.
Old 09-07-2023, 02:06 PM   #22
wiredgeorge

I am guessing the new truck's payload is OK with your trailer but there is a yellow/white placard in the driver door frame that tells you the truck's specific payload. As noted, the specs you quote (max towing capacity) are not really useful nor are the specs given by Keystone.

Main thing is LOOK AT YOUR TIRE SIDEWALLS. Do the tires say LT or P as the first part of the stuff on the sidewall? The P tires are PASSENGER CAR tires and totally unsuitable for RVing. They have no sidewall strength. I had a new F150 a few years back and it came with passenger car rated tires for a cushy ride. I got them swapped for LT tires (light truck). The axle ratio on your truck is intended for gas mileage and not towing as well but your camper isn't all that heavy so you may be OK. The 5.0L is the best of the lot for a 1/2 ton Ford... (opinion).
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2023, 05:26 PM   #23
JRTJH
Site Team

Congratulations on the new truck !!!

Don't tow with it until you've completed the mandatory break-in steps in the owner's manual. An investment as large as a new truck deserves "tender loving care" during the first few hundred miles to protect that investment !!!

After the break-in period, hitch it to your trailer and see how it performs. Maybe even schedule a trip across a CAT scale as part of that first trip so you can get "real world weights" for your rig that are accurate and valid, not something out of a brochure or off a "make our product look better" website...

But all told, I'd suspect that your new truck will do just fine as it sits for towing your trailer. Any bigger or heavier trailer and you may have issues staying under the ratings, but I'm guessing you'll be OK in all categories.

So, break it in "gently" and then plan that first trip and go out and enjoy your new tow vehicle. !!!!!

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2023, 04:31 AM   #24
Pull Toy

Congratulations and happy trail!

Good luck with,

Pull Toy

Steve & Jan, Ava & Emma (Mini Schnauzers):
2016 F350 Lariat 4X4 Powerstroke CC/SB "PULLTOY V"
2013 Alpine 3535RE "MAGIC CARPET IV"
Proud Navy Vet!