Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login

Old 12-01-2023, 04:29 AM   #1
notanlines

Electric pickups? The Cyberbeast is on the way!

https://www.yahoo.com/autos/tesla-de...212200699.html
Every RVer's best friend, Elon Musk, has finally unveiled the cybertrucks he promised years ago. In this article you will find about half the information that peaks your interest.
While an EV is just about last on the list DW and I keep posted for Santa, I have to admit that like a ride in a hot-air balloon, I would like to have one for an afternoon 'just to tool around the area.'
You may be one of the naysayers in this group, but I promise, how cool would it be to step outside Target, loaded with packages, tap the app on your Iphone and have that shiny Cyberbeast pulling your new Cougar drive itself right up to the entrance to fetch your lazy butt! Ah, the things young people have to look forward to!
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2023, 06:11 AM   #2
jasin1

I don’t personally like the design/shape of the cyber truck but I do think it’s good that Tesla for the most part does not markup their vehicles. If it was a Ford,Chevy,ram Toyota etc you could expect to pay 10k up to 100k or more for new or special edition models. The bronco for instance had some big markups around my area. Nothing fun about paying OVER sticker price.
Old 12-01-2023, 07:45 AM   #3
jsb5717

I'm still a nay-sayer, though also a never-say-never sayer. Who knows what the next big breakthrough will be for towing large trailers. Even the Cyber Truck will struggle with battery range. And still limited to 11k lbs. What will that 320-mile range turn into when towing that 11k lbs? It's interesting but still no where close.

Has anyone looked at what Toyota is working on with their water-based engines? Electrolysis separating the Hydrogen from the Oxygen. Car burns Hydrogen and expels Oxygen. Seems like a very clever idea to me. Next to no emissions, no mileage limitations, no lithium mining, no battery waste, no recharging stations, etc. Thoughts?
Demco Recon Hitch on RAM Puck Ball
jsb5717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2023, 07:56 AM   #4
Don77

ONE WORD "UGLY"

Don
Old 12-01-2023, 08:22 AM   #5
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsb5717 View Post

Has anyone looked at what Toyota is working on with their water-based engines? Electrolysis separating the Hydrogen from the Oxygen. Car burns Hydrogen and expels Oxygen. Seems like a very clever idea to me. Next to no emissions, no mileage limitations, no lithium mining, no battery waste, no recharging stations, etc. Thoughts?

It's a clever idea but will never get off the ground - not enough pockets getting lined for the "right" people.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2023, 09:40 AM   #6
JRTJH
Site Team

One comment in the article caught my eye and caused a "chuckle"...

"Video showed it winning a quarter-mile drag race with a Porsche 911 while towing a Porsche 911. "

Imagine, if you will, this "ungainly looking monstrosity" all angled, with bulletproof windows and a composite steel skin, dragging a Porsche 911 faster than a Porsche 911 can drag itself to the finish line....

IMO, one of the "concepts of EV reality" is that optional battery pack that fits in the bed and gives an additional 120 miles (or so). That "replaceable with a fully charged battery" accessory makes EV's more like flashlights... When they get dim, just replace the battery and you're light is good for another few days/weeks, or in the case of an EV, good for another 370 miles.

When all the manufacturers use the same standardized battery pack, then any "EV filling station" can act as an "immediate gas station to give EV's a full tank in minutes, not hours".... That also "solves" the $20K plus battery changeout at 70K miles"..... Just look at it as VHS vs BetaMax or 8 track vs cassette tape or Coke vs Pepsi..... Standardize like we've done with other batteries, 9 volt, D, C, AA, AAA..... when every manufacturer's battery is the same, then generics will make them cheaper and then, like "unleaded regular or unleaded premium" the battery pack will work on every EV.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2023, 08:04 PM   #7
fjr vfr

Has anyone looked at what Toyota is working on with their water-based engines? Electrolysis separating the Hydrogen from the Oxygen. Car burns Hydrogen and expels Oxygen. Seems like a very clever idea to me. Next to no emissions, no mileage limitations, no lithium mining, no battery waste, no recharging stations, etc. Thoughts?[/QUOTE]

It's a good idea, but would require a huge investment of infostructure as well as what sourdough said. Also a hydrogen/oxygen mix needs to overcome the fear associated with a mix that sends rockets into space...lol

On another note, the cybertrucks styling will take some time getting used of and would you want to get it dirty?
fjr vfr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2023, 08:09 PM   #8
sourdough
Site Team

The problem with EV trucks that I've not seen an answer to was illustrated with a test of the Ford EV truck. Touted big range numbers and all the other hoopla. The test strapped it with a 6k pound trailer....6k. The range was supposed to be 300 or so (memory). With the trailer the range was 86 miles....and nowhere to recharge. So much for EV trucks IMO.
Old 12-01-2023, 08:51 PM   #9
gearhead

The Tesla truck story I saw said it had a range of 365 miles. Surprised me. The bullet proof feature could be handy on a Saturday night in Houston.
Back in the last century my employer had what we called the CA Unit, Chlor Alki. It had vessels full of brine water that got shot with a high dose of electricity. Hydrogen vented off the vessels to a flare systems and made a pretty blue flame in a lightening storm.
I can’t imagine how Toyota will do that.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
2023 CanAm Defender SXS
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2023, 09:51 PM   #10
wiredgeorge

Problem Solved!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	solved.png
Views:	67
Size:	728.1 KB
ID:	45782  
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2023, 10:32 AM   #11
fjr vfr

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredgeorge View Post
Problem Solved!
Funny 😃
They obviously don’t have the kind of range for towing rv’s around the country
But for a home owner who wants something for going to the dump or general purpose they should be fine
Old 12-02-2023, 10:39 AM   #12
ChuckS

The concepts for EVs are nice.. and have practical applications such as delivery trucks for FedX, UPS, etc in a larger metro city area.

They currently are not practical for any rural environment..

For the average owner there are costs that folks do not often realize..
.. installation of home charger
.. Where to find charging stations on the road
.. Cost of new batteries when they need repalcing .. Average (10K currently )

Out here in the western states where I live and travel this would be a joke.

I will stick with my old 2007 GMC diesel..

2007 GMC Classic club cab 4x4 Duramax LBZ
2014 Alpine 3010 RE. 34 foot fifth wheel
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2023, 11:58 AM   #13
chuckster57
Site Team

I see these trucks on a daily basis as there is a plant near me:

https://www.cnbc.com/2023/02/18/elon...-products.html

Maybe one of these for a large fiver?

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2023, 04:15 PM   #14
TXiceman

Personally, I will not be buying an EV truck or auto. The developers and politicians that are touting the EVs are not looking at the total carbon footprint for the EV including manufacturing the batteries, mining the materials, developing the lithium materials, the special motor materials. And on top of that there is still the cost associated with the normal chassis, body and tires. Next you have the problem of waste disposal and/or recycling for the spent batteries.

Yes, we will eventually get to more and more EV's, but first we need to get more alternative fuel sources like more efficient solar panels, wind powered turbines, wave action turbines and even atomic power. Currently a huge portion of the EVs are recharged with power from fossil fuel power plants. Currently Texas does not have sufficient electric grid capacity or reliability to handle the influx of EVs needing to be recharged after the owner's workday plus cranking up AC and house lights to spend the evening cooking and watching TV.

Here politicians listen to environmentalists rather than engineers to help solve the problem. Engineers and scientists are trained to analysis problems and solve them, not knee-jerk reactions of extremists.

I just do not feel that I will see the answer to EVs in the lest of my life span, bit I will eventually have an EV. It will be a mobility scooter or an electric wheelchair.

Ken
Old 12-03-2023, 05:02 PM   #15
fjr vfr

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXiceman View Post
Personally, I will not be buying an EV truck or auto. The developers and politicians that are touting the EVs are not looking at the total carbon footprint for the EV including manufacturing the batteries, mining the materials, developing the lithium materials, the special motor materials. And on top of that there is still the cost associated with the normal chassis, body and tires. Next you have the problem of waste disposal and/or recycling for the spent batteries.

Yes, we will eventually get to more and more EV's, but first we need to get more alternative fuel sources like more efficient solar panels, wind powered turbines, wave action turbines and even atomic power. Currently a huge portion of the EVs are recharged with power from fossil fuel power plants. Currently Texas does not have sufficient electric grid capacity or reliability to handle the influx of EVs needing to be recharged after the owner's workday plus cranking up AC and house lights to spend the evening cooking and watching tv.

Here politicians listen to environmentalis rather than engineers to help solve the problem. Engineers and scientists are trained to analysis problems and solve them, not knee-jerk reactions of extremists.

I just do not feel that I will see the answer to EVs in the lest of my life span, bit I will eventually have an EV. It will be a mobility scooter or an electric wheelchair.

Ken
Some of this is true, but the politicians aren't listen to environmentalists and engineers. They work for MONEY and who has the money? It's the oil industry. They literally own politicians. They control most of what you read and the media.
And as far as waste disposal...the oil industry, like oil field equipment and refinery waste is mega times the waste associated with EV's and most of it is very toxic.
So although your points are valid, if you turn your view around in the other direction you might see a different picture.
I'm not trying to be combative, I just want to point out there are two sides to any issue. Always bear in mind where the money comes from.
Old 12-03-2023, 05:10 PM   #16
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXiceman View Post

Ken

Ken, come on in, the water's fine! I agree, EVs won't be ready for prime time in my lifetime.....maybe no one's. Lot's of problems with them, BUT; maybe you want an E BIKE!!

DW has a fascination with bicycles (bought so many over the years - just gave 2 nice ones away to my son she wanted me to buy on a trip to CO. I rode mine to the end of the driveway and it went to the barn for years. Now we have E bikes! That might be the ticket for you! Wind in your hair....smelling the roses (or whatever), hearing all the sounds of nature as you buzz along.....ahhh. She says she loves it but we only have about 20 miles on them after right at a year....sigh. At least I've dipped my toes into the EV world.

In all seriousness they are pretty fun and pretty liberating for someone who's knees have seen the last of their "good" days. Just a thought for you. One thing that is a drawback; I rode motorcycles for many years...when you twisted that throttle something happened; it's sort of anticlimactic to twist the throttle on an Ebike.
Old 12-03-2023, 08:22 PM   #17
TXiceman

Sourdough, I plane forgot about the two electric, pedal assist bikes we have. Got these because both like biking around a bit, but the hills are getting a bit much for this 1947 model motor.

Yes, the backing is coming from the oil and automotive companies, but the positive push is coming from the environmentalist groups.

Ken
Old 12-07-2023, 08:08 AM   #18
td1964

RamCharger

2025 the RamCharger should be out.

Smaller battery to get 145 miles, then it has a V6 engine to power a generator...total of 690 miles without towing...

Basically, all electric around town, but longer trips you can burn gas to get more miles... The gas engine doesnt power the wheels, just the generator. It will also have an outlet in the bed to power your trailer just like the Ford...

Very interested...
td1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2023, 09:19 AM   #19
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by td1964 View Post
2025 the RamCharger should be out.

Smaller battery to get 145 miles, then it has a V6 engine to power a generator...total of 690 miles without towing...

Basically, all electric around town, but longer trips you can burn gas to get more miles... The gas engine doesnt power the wheels, just the generator. It will also have an outlet in the bed to power your trailer just like the Ford...

Very interested...
Isn't that the same "concept" that Ford built with the 2008 Escape Hybrid ???

Small battery under the floorboard, a 2.3l Atkins-Cycle Duratec engine and a continuously variable transmission, it wasn't the first (I think Prius was first) and there have been multiple versions of "hybrid technology" since then. Currently, every manufacturer has some sort of "hybrid power" on the market.

The current Toyota Highlander hybrid advertises 35MPG with an 18 gallon tank. That's 630 miles per tank.

No need to wait until 2025 for RAM to offer one. They've been around for 2 decades.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2023, 09:55 AM   #20
td1964

Not sure what the Highlander pulls, but I think Ill wait for the pick up...it reportedly pulls 14k, not that I tow that much...
td1964 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
electric