Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone RV Customer Comments > Keystone RV Service & Warranty Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 11-02-2014, 08:24 PM   #21
Desert185

That's the purpose of the p-trap and why it has to remain filled with water.
-2014 Cougar 326SRX, Maxxis tires w/TPMS, wet bolts, two 6v batts.
-Four Wheel 8' Popup Camper.
Desert185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 02:58 PM   #22
Ken / Claudia

That's my point. Would it not be common in a RV to have that p-trap in the shower dry up. I for one have not used the shower for over a year but, the toilet I use it every time I camp. It just sounds unsafe and stinky to me.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 02:58 PM   #23
Sduff

Holding Tanks

What do I know...but would it be safe to assume that all of the laredo 300rl fifth wheel's would be plumbed this way?

Steve
USAF Retired '96
Land of Lincoln

2013 Laredo 294RK
2015 GMC Sierra SLT 4x4 (max tow package)
2013 Passport 2890RL (2003 Chevy Silverado LS ext cab)
1968 King Camper Popup
2008 Honda GoldWing/pulling a Aluma MCTXL cargo trailer
Sduff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 10:49 AM   #24
Canam

All tanks need a seal to prevent odor or gases from coming up from the holding tank. This is accomplished with either a p-trap (ie: shower drain or sink drain), or a mechanical seal (toilet valve). If the seals are working, the holding tanks vent through the air stack to the outside ambient air. If these seals are not working (ie: you hold open your toilet valve, or the p-trap dries up), the gases and odors in your holding tanks can travel through them and into your RV.

If your shower or sink is draining into a black tank that contains toilet water, it would be important to keep the p-traps filled with water to prevent gases from travel up through them. If the shower or sink drain into a gray tank and the p-trap dries up, you may smell stale water from washing your hands or taking a shower. It wouldn't be as bad as the gases from decomposing toilet waste in a black tank.
Canam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 11:41 AM   #25
JRTJH
Site Team

Many of the newer RV showers don't have a P trap. Almost all the outdoor kitchen sinks don't have one. These applications are going to the HEPVO waterless trap. We've had a couple of members try to run a snake down their shower drain and came out with a piece of "rubber looking tube". This was the inside part of their HEPVO waterless trap.

Don't think that you "automatically" have a P trap that could dry out and leak holding tank gasses. If your RV is a 2012 or newer, chances are you don't have a P trap.

You can see the "workings of" and the "explanation how" of the HEPVO system here: http://www.hepvo.com/
Attached Images

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 01:13 PM   #26
chuckster57
Site Team

That wonderful piece of technology is finding its way into more and more RV's.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 05:23 PM   #27
Dmckinney

I have a 2014 Alpine 3010RE with 2 gray tanks and the black tank. My problem is shower, lavatory, and sink all goes to one gray tank. The other gray tank is for the washer/dryer that I do not have. Causes the one gray tank to fill up very quick and needing dumping almost daily. Any others with this issue? Does anyone know if the plumbing lines can be rerouted to utilize both gray tanks?
Dmckinney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 05:16 PM   #28
hardy

I also have Alpine 3010. Great RV. Bathroom sink to black tank and kitchen and shower to same grey tank. 3rd tank plumbed for washer which do not have. Dealer checked with Keystone and it came this way per their specs. Easy fix to isolate shower to the 3rd tank. Do not mind bath sink to black tank, a little toothpaste and soap may even help with cleanout and odor. I have owned 3 trailers prior to this one and all have small things to work on to get right. I would buy another Alpine in a heartbeat.
hardy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 08:08 PM   #29
koup

3010RE plumbing

Our 3010RE was plumbed as Dmckinney described. I fixed it myself and talked Keystone into paying for the parts. Sounds like I got pretty lucky. The fix was pretty simple. I removed the panels in the basement and had easy access to the drain pipes I needed. I was reluctant to use any kind of saw on the black pipe because of the vibration form the cutting might cause a leak. I found a knife type cutter at Home Depot to cut the pipe. I did have to cut the handle off of the cutter because of the limited space. All is well now and no leaks.
koup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 08:36 PM   #30
michael_h

I know for sure my shower in my little TT goes to the gray water tank even though the black tank sits right next to it.

To run my own test I'd take food coloring (red, blue, green) mixing each color in two 5 gallon buckets, then one at a time pour the different colors in each, starting with the sink, then the shower, and last the toilet if needed, pull each appropriate dump handle after each filling and with a clear coupling on the trailer connection side of the hose check what color comes out for each handle pull.

Like everyone else, having it hooked to the black just doesn't make sanitary sense incase of an over fill while in use

Good luck
2013 Premier 19RBPR

2016 Cougar 26RBI
michael_h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 10:45 PM   #31
dhurt

I have a friend who has a 2014 Alpine with the same plumbing situation. It is at the dealer now trying to get resolved. I will let you know how that turns out by next week.
dhurt is offline   Reply With Quote