Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone RV Customer Comments > Keystone RV Service & Warranty Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 11-19-2014, 04:51 PM   #1
Brian_Ireland

Cougar Bottom Slide Seal Problem

I have owned a 2014 Cougar 244RKSWE since April. It has required a lot of warranty work to be done and the slide’s bottom seal is the last remaining item. When the slide is in, the one end of the bottom seal is tight between the slide and the trailer; at the other end if you are inside the trailer you can see daylight coming through, if you go outside and reach up to the seal you can easily put your fingers through the seal and touch the carpet inside the trailer. Actually you can put one finger on top of another finger and still easily push both fingers through the bottom seal and touch the carpet. On the end that seals properly, the bottom seal does not budge when you push a finger against it. This is after the dealer’s 3rd attempt at fixing the slide. For their 1st fix they lowered the problem end of the slide 1-1/8” lower than the non-problem end of the slide. This gave a good seal but it caused the slide to drag along the carpet (something the dealer said they did not notice, never mind that the slide decals were now 1-1/8” lower). I was surprised the carpet did not tear when the slide was extended. With the slide placed square in the trailer, the decals all line up.
I figure either the slide was manufactured crooked or the slide’s wall cut out is crooked. I asked the dealer to find out what the actual problem is and they say it is a combination of the two, but I am not sure if they have ever bothered to find out what is the cause. The trailer is still at the dealer’s so I cannot measure it myself.
The dealer has run out of “fixes” and has contacted Keystone. The dealer has told me that Keystone has told them to install a 2nd seal in front of the original seal. I think this is a Band-Aid fix that will still let water through if towing in the rain as the problem area is right above the wheels.
Has anyone experienced this same problem or have a better repair solution?
Brian_Ireland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 05:25 PM   #2
sourdough
Site Team

My 2014 Cougar High Country 319rls had a problem similar to yours. I just saw the edges didn't close the same...I didn't see daylight or have an opening like yours. They adjusted the slide and it was done. My slides have all sorts of cables/pulleys etc. and it appears there are a thousand different adjustments that could be made. Is yours like that or do you have a different transport mechanism for the slide? Does the dealership have the technical aptitude in the service dept. to actually repair something like that?

I definitely would not let them rectify the situation with a 2nd seal. The slide is obviously crooked and a 2nd seal won't do anything to fix that. It MIGHT put enough more seal material to help it seal on the other end but it is still placing the slide in a bind. IMO they need to dig a little deeper. Don't let them keep pushing until April comes around and...whoops, warranty's gone. Good luck.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote