Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 05-28-2012, 12:43 PM   #1
reubenray

Propane Tanks??

Can someone refresh my memory about the propane tanks? I opened up the first one on the entry door side to get the refrigerator going. It never would start and it showed red in the dial. So I opened up the other one and the gauge went back green and the refrigerator started. Does this mean the first one is empty? Also do both of these need to be opened at the same time?

The manuals are in the fiver somewhere and it to hot right now to look for them?
Old 05-28-2012, 02:15 PM   #2
f6bits

If you have an auto-switching regulator, you should have a pointer knob that selects your primary tank. If the dial is red, your primary tank is empty enough to stop using.

That pointer knob doesn’t get moved until you refill the empty tank. At that point your refilled tank becomes the secondary tank and you switch the pointer over to the non-entry door side tank.

Both tanks should be opened, but your pointer knob should only point to one tank so you’re only draining one tank at a time.

2011 Passport 2590BH
2009 Ford F150 SuperCrew FX4 5.4L w/Max Tow
f6bits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 03:04 PM   #3
mhs4771

It's a personal preference if you want both valves open or not. If you have both open and have the automatic switch over Reg and don't check that little window often you could end up with two empty tanks. I personally perfer to only run off one, when it runs out I switch over and take that one to get refilled ASAP. Again just my preference.
2011 Chevy Silverado 3500HD Ext Cab LT DRW Duramax/Allison pulling a 2012 SOB (still Thor, but not a Keystone), Dual ACs, 4 Door Fridge, Fireplace, Sleep Number Bed, Level-Up Auto Levelers, Disc Brakes, Winegard DirecTV SlimLine Auto Dish, Onan 5.5K, Splendide Combo Washer/Dryer, GY G114s on HiSpec 17.5 wheels, TrailAir Tri-Glide Pin Box, Mor/ryde IS.

Michelle & Ann Sullivan and 4 American Shorthairs
mhs4771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 04:13 PM   #4
hankpage
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by reubenray View Post
Can someone refresh my memory about the propane tanks? I opened up the first one on the entry door side to get the refrigerator going. It never would start and it showed red in the dial. So I opened up the other one and the gauge went back green and the refrigerator started. Does this mean the first one is empty? Also do both of these need to be opened at the same time?

The manuals are in the fiver somewhere and it to hot right now to look for them?
The selector knob may be set to the drivers side tank. Switch the lever back the other way .... if the flag stays green (with a gas appliance on) then both tanks have some gas in them. Warm weather camping with hot water and cooking we use less than ½ of a 30lb. tank in a month. The furnace is the hungry one and eats up fuel.
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 07:31 PM   #5
hankaye

Howdy All;

With the 'split tank' system there is a "procedure"
for opening the tanks or the driver's side won't cut-in
when it's needed.

Let us now turn to page 38 of the generic 'Owner's Manual'
upon which are written the following words;

"Rapid changes in pressure during filling or when switching the regulator valve can cause this safety feature to activate, causing a "no gas flow" situation. The problemmoccurs when the system downstreamof the cylinder valve and above the regulator has less pressure than the bottle pressure. The check valve activates, sensing a break in the line. In order for the valve to reset, the pressure in the line must equalize,with the tank pressure. Internal mechanisms allow for a very small bypass flow to achieve equalization. This usually takes 2-5 minutes.

One of our members posted this (which I found using the search function),
Here;

http://www.keystonerv.org/forums/sho...t=propane+tank

" Follow this procedure for the following conditions: After refilling either or both bottles; After any part of the propane system has been disconnected; Appliance burners are not operating correctly; Low operating pressure exists downstream from the regulator when operating heavy demand appliances such as the furnace.
1. Verify both propane bottles contain sufficient propane. Refill if necessary.
2. Close both propane bottle service valves.
3.Attach the propane pigtails to the service valve.
4. Close manually operated gas valves on the range or water heater.
5. Turn the indicator on the regulator to the bottle closest to it.
6. Slowly open the service valve on the bottle closest to the regulator. This is typically the bottle on the entry door side. Open the valve all the way.
7. Slowly open the service valve on the bottle that is furthest from the regulator until you can hear gas start to flow through. Do not open the valve all the way. Wait 1 minute.
8. Re-close the service valve and then slowly re-open it all the way. The system is now ready to operate.
This happen to me earlier this year and I followed these instructions and have had no issues since.
Jim W."

The above will help you reset the regulator.

Hope this helps. Please let us know the outcome.

hankaye

Home: 2008 Cougar 278 RKS
T.V.: 2004 F-250 4X4, Level III BulletProofed , Detroit Tru-Track Differential (915A550)
Dog: 2006 Border Collie (Rascal) aka Maximum fur dispersal unit. (08/04/2006 - 12/16/2017) RIP.
hankaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 08:04 PM   #6
chuck&gail

You can open only one if you so desire, Murphy says the tank will run out when it is either pouring rain, or at 4 AM, or both. Once you get it switched, and dry off, your significant other will explain to you how she liked waking up cold in the middle of the night. Thereafter you will turn both on.

Just my findings.
2010 Ford Expedition TV
2010 Outback 230RS Toybox, 5390# UVW, 6800# Loaded
Not yet camped in Hawaii, 2 Canada Provinces, & 2 Territories
I can't be lost because I don't care where this lovely road is going
chuck&gail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 01:49 AM   #7
reubenray

Quote:
Originally Posted by hankpage View Post
The selector knob may be set to the drivers side tank. Switch the lever back the other way .... if the flag stays green (with a gas appliance on) then both tanks have some gas in them. Warm weather camping with hot water and cooking we use less than ½ of a 30lb. tank in a month. The furnace is the hungry one and eats up fuel.
This is what I believe is going on. I believe during the PDI (months ago) he switched it to show me how to do. I need to find the selector knob and check it.