Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 11-25-2010, 03:43 AM   #1
camper 2010

Cougar 27RLS

I have a 2010 Cougar 27RLS that we purchased on 10/29/2009. We just found a water leak around the window to the left of the rear door. I have checked the sealant and was in good shape. Upon removing the trim on the inside of window I found that the hole for the window was cut to large. I will try to attach a photo to show the problem. Does anyone have a idea how to repair this problem?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	018.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	92.8 KB
ID:	204  
camper 2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 06:17 AM   #2
hankpage
Site Team

First ... Welcome to the forum.
After everything is good and dry, I would fill the void with "Minimally expanding foam" from the inside. After it is set for a few days, trim the foam with a knife. Seal the outside with Dicor non-leveling sealant. And just as insurance ... get some stick-on vinyl window gutters to go over the window. Maybe something similar to this : http://www.campingworld.com/shopping...system-10/1782

JM2˘, Hank
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 06:43 AM   #3
camper 2010

Thanks, I was thinking about that. I wish Keystone would admit that it was their falt and not keep trying to tell me that I did not do the correct maintenance. I am checking to see if the window that I have is smaller than other 27RLS windows. They may have changed who they got the windows from.
Old 11-25-2010, 08:16 AM   #4
Handysam

I'm not sure why keystone thought that it is a maintenance issue. Did you send them the photo? Clearly the opening was cut to large. I would be interested in what they do/say.
Handysam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 05:23 PM   #5
camper 2010

yes, I sent them three pictures, they then ask for one of the outside. As soon as the received the one of the outside of trailer, they said it was leaking because of poor maintenance.
Old 12-09-2010, 11:54 AM   #6
rwm1313

Are you still under warranty?

If you are still under warranty your dealer should get this covered for you. The correct fix is to pull the window clean the old putty tape off window and side wall then apply new tape to window frame then use a spacer on bottom to sit the window up a little higher in the rough opening, this will solve the gap i see in your pictures. the foam wont work for long. after window is re installed and putty tape is trimmed(should push out around frame when tightening window from inside) calk around window with a sealent obtained at a rv dealer( dont use silicone)where frame meets coach. keeping up on your seals should be done yearly.
rwm1313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 11:30 AM   #7
camper 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwm1313 View Post
If you are still under warranty your dealer should get this covered for you. The correct fix is to pull the window clean the old putty tape off window and side wall then apply new tape to window frame then use a spacer on bottom to sit the window up a little higher in the rough opening, this will solve the gap i see in your pictures. the foam wont work for long. after window is re installed and putty tape is trimmed(should push out around frame when tightening window from inside) calk around window with a sealent obtained at a rv dealer( dont use silicone)where frame meets coach. keeping up on your seals should be done yearly.
I am back to give the final update on my window problem. We took it to the Keystone dealer in Alabama to have them look at the window. They did agree with me that the window was not installed correct. The local dealer whom I did not purchase the trailer from worked with Keystone and repaired the window, they also had to replace one of the graphics when moving the window. Keystone covered all the cost. Thanks to Keystone and the local dealer, Dandy RV.
Old 02-24-2011, 03:04 PM   #8
Handysam

Thats great to hear!! I'm glad your problem got solved without your expense, which clearly, IMO was a Keystone problem to begin with. Happy Camping, Sam