Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Modifications and Upgrades
Click Here to Login

Old 04-25-2011, 08:42 AM   #1
campingcpl

Thumbs up Dexter E-Z Flex Suspension Mod

Well just finished up installing the Dexter E-Z Flex suspension system on our 2009 Sprinter with Al-Ko axles. The install wasn't as bad as what I thought it was going to be. I did one side at a time. I jacked up the trailer by the frame just enough to get the trailer wheels off the ground and then removed the wheels. I then started by loosening all the leaf spring bolts. I then supported the rear axle and removed the rear hanger bolt from the rear axle leaf spring and then did the same to the front axle. After that I removed the equalizer bolt and equalizer and removed the shakles from the leaf springs. I used a 3/8" rachet extention to drive out the plastic leaf spring bushings and then inserted the new bronze bushings that came with the kit. With a floor jack I lifted the axle back into place and put the new wet bolt in the front end of the front axle and used a deep well socket and hammer to set the bolt into the hanger and then did the same to the rear. I then installed the new equalizer and then installed the new shackles and bolts. I then greased everything and remounted the tires and did the other side. Took the trailer back to the storage unit and WOW what a difference in the ride. No more feeling every little bump/pot hole, etc. that the trailer hits. This is probably the best mod we have done to our trailer to date.

Here is a link to the kit we installed. Sorry I didn't get any pictures while doing this mod because had to get it done fast with all the rain we have been getting.

http://www.dexteraxle.com/e_z_flex_suspension

Phil & Janine & Lady
2004.5 Chevy 2500HD Duramax LLY CC LB 4X4
2009 Keystone Sprinter 272RLS
campingcpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 03:19 PM   #2
bdaniel

I am going to order this kit online tonight. Do you have any other advice?

I put about 70,000 miles on my previous 30' 5th wheel and I was on my 4th set of spring shackles so I am no stranger to replacing the shackles. I even had 2 broken spring leafs and had to replace those also.

Was there anything that just did not seem right? I am expecting an easy swap out. Especially doing it while the Copper Canyon is new.

Thanks,
Bobby
bdaniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 03:44 PM   #3
Handysam

Nice mod. Good Job.
Old 04-25-2011, 05:31 PM   #4
azr405

Quote:
Originally Posted by campingcpl View Post
Well just finished up installing the Dexter E-Z Flex suspension system on our 2009 Sprinter with Al-Ko axles. The install wasn't as bad as what I thought it was going to be. I did one side at a time. I jacked up the trailer by the frame just enough to get the trailer wheels off the ground and then removed the wheels. I then started by loosening all the leaf spring bolts. I then supported the rear axle and removed the rear hanger bolt from the rear axle leaf spring and then did the same to the front axle. After that I removed the equalizer bolt and equalizer and removed the shakles from the leaf springs. I used a 3/8" rachet extention to drive out the plastic leaf spring bushings and then inserted the new bronze bushings that came with the kit. With a floor jack I lifted the axle back into place and put the new wet bolt in the front end of the front axle and used a deep well socket and hammer to set the bolt into the hanger and then did the same to the rear. I then installed the new equalizer and then installed the new shackles and bolts. I then greased everything and remounted the tires and did the other side. Took the trailer back to the storage unit and WOW what a difference in the ride. No more feeling every little bump/pot hole, etc. that the trailer hits. This is probably the best mod we have done to our trailer to date.

Here is a link to the kit we installed. Sorry I didn't get any pictures while doing this mod because had to get it done fast with all the rain we have been getting.

http://www.dexteraxle.com/e_z_flex_suspension
I am looking forward to tryin mine out as the new 2011 Cougar comes standard with the Equa-flex suspension. Should be good
azr405 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 06:29 PM   #5
hankpage
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdaniel View Post

I put about 70,000 miles on my previous 30' 5th wheel and I was on my 4th set of spring shackles so I am no stranger to replacing the shackles. I even had 2 broken spring leafs and had to replace those also.

Was there anything that just did not seem right? I am expecting an easy swap out. Especially doing it while the Copper Canyon is new.

Thanks,
Bobby

Bobby, I did this mod a while back ... it makes a big difference. Maybe this thread with photos will help. http://www.keystonerv.org/forums/showthread.php?t=446

If you have replaced equalizers before you will have no problems. Hope this helps, Hank
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 08:09 PM   #6
Festus2
Site Team

Red face Tire Wear, Alignment and Suspension

At the end of last year, I promised myself to take the RV in at the beginning of this year to get it checked for beginning signs of tire wear as well as having the alignment looked at. We have had the unit for 2 years now and have been aware of the problems with the plastic bushings that are now standard as well as the skimpy shackle links that every manufacturer sticks on the suspension.
After the bushings and other assorted pieces were taken off, the mechanics showed me what they had found. One of the plastic/nylon bushings was pretty much toast. Not only had in worn thin, but also had worn down so badly that it had large holes over much of it.
The others were not quite that bad but badly worn and paper thin nevertheless.
The shackle links were burnt toast. Every link had one hole that, instead of being round was oval in shape - the result of being worn away and enlarging as it did so. Eventually, if left unchecked, it would have worn through to the point of collapse.
The mechanic stated that the bushings that are found in almost every RV today are nylon and have a life expectancy of about 15,000 miles. He also said that he didn't know how the RV industry gets away with installing such thin shackles and thin, nylon/plastic bushings.

He then showed me what he was recommending as a replacement kit --- thick brass bushings (Greasable) instead of plastic and shackles that were 2x as thick as the ones he took off. Everything in the kit was heavy duty - thicker, stronger and sturdier.
After having these items replaced, the alignment corrected and other components of the suspension system checked and some other parts (a couple of bearings), brakes cleaned and adjusted, bearings cleaned and repacked plus some other odds and ends, I now feel much better knowing that the suspension is much safer and better.
There are still some issues left to take care of --- two tires that have gone out of whack and still have uneven wear - but that too will be fixed.
Because those suspension components are hard to see, hard to get at and "out of the way", they are easy to forget and ignore.
Tires, while much more visible, also need to be checked regularly - not just for air but for uneven and unusual wear.

The tires, suspension and TT brakes are just too important to ignore. Tires generate a lot of discussion - offshore, onshore, --- just check the forum about that topic!
What gets less attention is the quality - or lack of - of the components in the suspension system. When a shackle fails going down the freeway ---- can you imagine the consequences of that happening? We should be just as concerned about that as we are about the quality of tires on our RV's.

(See bdaniel's post below - nothing like good photos to prove a point. Thank you Bob for your supportive article and pics. Now you have had a chance to see what my concerns were!)

When was the last time you checked your suspension? If you have never or haven't lately, perhaps it is time.

Learned a good lesson today. Not cheap but well worth the money!
Old 04-26-2011, 05:18 AM   #7
bdaniel

I purchased the kit last night.

After reading the problems by Festus2 I thought I would share some of my experiences. Below are links to articles with photos about problems I have had with spring shackles and springs. If the moderator wants to remove the links, just go to my website, click RV at the top and then click Problems on the left. You will see the articles in the left menu.

Shackles
Shackles again
Springs

Bobby
Old 04-26-2011, 06:17 AM   #8
campingcpl

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdaniel View Post

Thanks,
Bobby
I would just make sure you have the trailer in a fairly level area and that the trailer axles are not in a bind when you start taking things apart. Our driveway is a little steep and I am not able to put the trailer in the drive. We live on a cul-de-sac so it was easy for me to park it infront of the house but didn't even think about the axles being in a bind before I started on the one side. It really made it a pain to get the bolts into the frame brackets. Before I started on the other side I straightened out the camper and it went a lot easier and faster. As for anything not seeming right, the only thing that bothered me a little was the new bushings were a little looser fit going into the spring eyes then what I would of liked. When I contacted Dexter about it they didn't seem to think it was going to be a problem. Good luck and I'm sure you will love the new suspension.

Phil & Janine & Lady
Old 04-26-2011, 06:33 AM   #9
campingcpl

Like Festus said about the suspesion parts being cheap so to say, they really are. Our trailer is only a little over 2 years old and has probably about 10,000 miles on it. When I started taking the suspension apart I had noticed that some of the shackle bolts had already worked loose from the shackles and had started rounding out the holes and that some of the plastic bushings were showing some wear. On one of the equalizers, the bushing had already wore through on one end and had started to push out of the equalizer at one end. I knew that the plastic bushings wouldn't last forever but I didn't think they would go as fast as these did. And like what has already been stated, if you haven't checked that stuff you should. It's a lot cheaper to fix it now then wait till something breaks or you start to have problems like Festus stated.

Phil & Janine & Lady
Old 04-30-2011, 11:38 AM   #10
bdaniel

My son and I installed the Dexter E-Z Flex kit on both sides this morning in 2 1/2 hours. Everything went fine. I took a few photos. If any look ok, I will post them.

I am extremely pleased with the result. Highly recommended modification.

Thanks for the advice,
Bobby