Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone RV Customer Comments > Keystone RV Service & Warranty Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 11-07-2014, 11:47 PM   #1
afstoll

Another Delamination Issue

I had noticed some small cracking in the front radius of my '11 Cougar a few years ago, but was not too worried. In September I invested in a ADCO cover to help "protect" it.

I removed the cover today and found this! All of the research I have done indicate it caused by condensation gathering under the cover overnight, then during the day the sun creates a sauna like effect on the front radius (we have seen 40 degree temp changes between night/day lately).

I talked to the repair shop who insist water got behind the fiberglass via an unsecure seal between the radius and the roof, and the cover merely enhanced the issue. I find this hard to believe because I had it uncovered all summer and this issue developed after the cover was installed.

I have also discovered other threads that talk about a recall issued last year by Keystone because of this same issue, and that the roof should be covered by warranty for 10-12 years.

Thoughts???
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1702[1].jpg
Views:	365
Size:	89.3 KB
ID:	7416   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1703[1].jpg
Views:	239
Size:	91.2 KB
ID:	7417   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1704[1].jpg
Views:	238
Size:	93.5 KB
ID:	7418  
afstoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 12:04 AM   #2
afstoll

More delamination

Took my cover off today, which was only installed 2 months ago, and found this!

Cover problem or structural issue with the trailer? We are going through a drought here in Southern CA, so I am pretty confident heat is the issue.

Thanks in advance!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1702[1].jpg
Views:	159
Size:	89.3 KB
ID:	7422   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1703[1].jpg
Views:	138
Size:	91.2 KB
ID:	7423   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1704[1].jpg
Views:	138
Size:	93.5 KB
ID:	7424  
afstoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 01:11 AM   #3
Ken / Claudia

Looking at the photo, I do not see the seam having issues but, it could have allowed water at any time in the past to get in and now you see what happened. When I had a cover over the last RV and took it off in warm temps here in N Oregon the decor was soften up and sticky, I guess heat could do that to your trailer. It needs to be fixed no matter what caused the damage. Take it to a repair place or dealer and see what the experts say that are face to face with it.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 05:50 AM   #4
JRTJH
Site Team

afstoll,

You posted the same issue in two locations on the forum. I've taken the liberty to combine them in one thread to keep all responses in one place. You will get less duplication of advice and all advice will be in one place, not only to help you, but also any other member who may be experiencing the same problem.

It looks like you have a significant problem with the fiberglass front cap on your RV. As for your statement about Keystone issuing a recall about this last year. You can go to this website to check for any recalls applicable to your RV.: http://www.keystonerv.com/customer-s...-notifications

Keep in mind that even if Keystone issued a recall, say for Montana RV's, it does NOT include Cougar RV's, so you may find a recall for front cap delamination in one brand, but that won't mean your Cougar is covered by the same recall. It also appears, from your first picture, that the front cap is cracked and glazed. You may have a problem with the actual material leaking water through to the substrate rather than a seam or joint that is leaking. However, it does appear that water has made its way through the fiberglass and has damaged your front cap.

I would think, from the pictures you posted, that your repairman gave you some good advice about what caused the problem. The front seal on most RV's is composed of an aluminum strip that lays over the fiberglass and the rubber DICOR roofing membrane. This strip is secured to the RV with a line of screws and then the entire area is covered with DICOR self-leveling sealant. This sealant is subject to cracking or even completely separating from the strip. This would allow water/moisture to enter the front cap and with heat from the sun, could cause the type of damage you have.

There are several places in the owner's manual that discuss the need for owners to regularly inspect all sealant on the RV, especially on the roof. Keystone recommends that this be done 3 or 4 times a year. I would suspect that your sealant cracked, it wasn't repaired in a timely manner and water got under the seal causing the damage you face.

I doubt that Keystone will do anything under any recall or warranty, but will deny any claim. You might contact Keystone using their website warranty/service link: http://www.keystonerv.com/customer-s...parts-warranty

I believe your best solution would be to contact a fiberglass repairman, possibly a boat dealer could offer you some suggestions to who, in your area, is a reputable repair shop. Once repaired, I would suggest you start a regular inspection of the sealant on your RV.

You might get some help from your insurance company, but I wouldn't count on Keystone for anything other than confirmation that your RV is damaged.

Good Luck.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 10:48 AM   #5
sourdough
Site Team

Ouch! That doesn't look good. I'm going to check my roof today. Let us know what kind of resolution you come up with.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote