Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone RV Customer Comments > Keystone RV Service & Warranty Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 04-05-2011, 12:52 PM   #1
The Sod Father

M punch list

Greetings all -

Just wondering if others have experienced extensive items that were either broken, malfunctioning or not installed correctly in their new trailers. I am taking my trailer to the dealer on Thursday with my initial "punch list" of stuff that wasn't done correctly at the factory. From what I can tell, business is booming for Keystone and they are cranking out trailers around the clock.

And this got me wondering - is my list unusually extensive and the result of Keystone trying to crank out trailers as fast as they can or was my rig the victim of bad karma? Or worse - was it the result of "hey guys, let's hurry up and finish this one so we can still make happy hour".

So, here's my list -
- Window over galley leaks
- Window in bedroom on road side leaks
- Storage doors or both sides leak due to opening being larger than actual door (little to no contact with gasket)
- 12V supply wire for electric tongue jack is "stretched" to the point of stress and is not secured to shaft with zip tie
- Ceiling molding falling down
- Screen door is warped and does not seal all the way around door jam.
- Radio bezel cracked
- TV not hooked up to sound system
- Fresh water fill tube is loose (it actually came out when I was filling the tank).
- Rattle in AC unit

Don't get me wrong - this is the 3rd trailer I've owned and love it. I'm just a bit stymied at all that is wrong with it right out of the gate. And I haven't even camped in it yet! Has anyone experienced as many issues with their brand new trailer or am I truly the victim of my dogma being run over by my karma
Tekonsha Prodigy playing the role of brake control
The Sod Father is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 01:35 PM   #2
Festus2
Site Team

The Sod Father:
If you were to go back and read some of the posts in this section (Keystone RV Service and Warranty Issues), you will come across other posts submitted by members who have had similar "punch lists". This won't make you feel any better but there are some who have even longer punch lists than yours.
We all have had our lists - both long and short but I would think that yours would go into the "Long Punch List" box. Many have asked, "What has happened to "quality control"? Not sure which of those multiple choice answers you mentioned in your post would apply to your situation. Perhaps your dogma did, in fact, get run over by your karma.
In any case, I hope that your dealer and Keystone will make things right for you so that you can once again rekindle the love you have for this trailer.
Old 04-05-2011, 01:45 PM   #3
ktmracer

my punch list after 6 months, 4,000 miles and 45 days of camping:

a) blind over the rocker misaligned
b) bath door needed minor adjustment to open easier

dealer was able to fix both rather quickly.

IMHO my dealer did an outstandng PDI. In our almost 5 hour PDI walkthrough DW found a few minor cosmetics that was it.

2004 Silverado CC/SB/ 4x4 Duramax
Pace 14' bike hauler with full living quarters
ktmracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 02:10 PM   #4
Handysam

I would have to say that your list is a little unusual in terms of severity. Ceiling molding falling down should have been caught by the dealer, as well as the cracked bezel. TWO leaking windows is rare on a new unit. Please keep us informed on how your dealer and Keystone handles this. Happy Camping, Sam
Old 04-05-2011, 05:21 PM   #5
jq1031

Gotta say my probems are minimal as compared to yours. Leak in the city water inlet...............& ...............something else I can't remember. But it's new, have spent the last week testing everything & living in the TT & will continue to do so for another week as we return to FL. I'll keep you posted!
jq1031 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 06:20 PM   #6
mrxlh

Sod Father, you got one built on a Friday or Monday. Just kidding, I had a water leak on mine, (black flush connection leaking [clean fresh water] into the storage compartment) garage door wouldn't stay shut (catch plate not lined up with door bolt) screws pulled out of the storage compartment slam door on the left side (my fault ) entertainment remote missing, camp chairs missing, and battery disconnect not disconnecting battery power to trailer.
All fixed under warranty, no questions asked. Love the RV and even knowing what I know now, I would still buy the RV all over again. Some things are unfortunate, as they should not leave the factory that way, and should be caught by the dealership. However, things do happen and if they correct them to your satisfaction, then it should be all good.

2008 Ford F350 CC LWB Dually
2011 Raptor 4014LEV
2006 H-D FLHX
2010 Honda Rancher 420ES
mrxlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 07:05 PM   #7
wgb1

Really makes me wonder what I may have missed on my new Bullet TT. I have seen none of the issues in other posts on my Bullet except for the TV not being hooked up to the sound system. I was told that Keystone no longer does that but that it would be easy for me to do. There was even a spare RCA cable in one of the drawers. Not sure I even want it hooked to the other speakers but we'll see.
wgb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 04:41 AM   #8
ksfis43

I also found that my storage doors leak, same as yours, very little if any contact with the weather stripping.
also
My shower wall enclosure is pulling away from the wall along the top of the tub,
my rear power jacks are very loud and don't operate as smoothly as the front ones, and the edging on my table has a slight buckle in it.
And my tv is not hooked up to the sound system either.

I’m not too concerned, yet, I will call and notify my dealer, but I will wait until after my first outing until I take it in, as I will probably find some other things that need to be tweaked.

So far I am please with my TT.
ksfis43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 09:50 AM   #9
The Sod Father

Thanks all. As I said, I really love the trailer. More so than any other rig I've owned (aside from my pop up).

At the end of the day, I firmly believe that quality control in the RV industry is nowhere near what it needs to be to meet customer expectations. QC in the auto industry has drastically improved since the days of the Chrysler Cordoba and exploding Pintos. As a consumer, I expect a high level of QC on big ticket items like cars, RV's, appliances, etc. Hopefully the industry will "get it" and implement measures that will address things like leaky windows.
Old 04-07-2011, 10:56 AM   #10
Adam

And just think I haven't even touched anything to date, good luck today! BTW..... I'm going to now double check everything on the Passport especially areas you mention in your punch list, since I have the entry level unit

Adam & Lisa
Brandon 13
Matthew 9

'09 Nissan Armada LE
'11 Keystone Passport 300BH
Tekonsha Prodigy / Equalizer WDH / Mckesh Mirrors

By spreading the axles an additional 10" The extra wide stance equalizes weight & provides superior towability.
Adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 06:49 PM   #11
jq1031

Smile

Sod, I've seen major improvements in RV quality over the last 35 years. Even the big Class A motor homes have constant issues regarding quality control. As long as we keep complaining about what needs to be fixed & getting it done under warranty, costing Keystone $$$, then little by little quality will improve. Today, we have a pretty good product but keep the pressure on.
jq1031 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 10:59 AM   #12
The Sod Father

Service update

Sooooo..... I call the dealer to see what's up. I picked up the trailer on April 9th. At that time the dealer told me they were asking Keystone what should be done - replace the window seals or the entire window. Given the fact that an entire week has passed, I decided to give them a call to see if they got an answer from Keystone. I called the service department at Pocono RV (my dealer). Bottom line, the guy who answered the phone should not be allowed to answer phones. Frankly, this guy should not be allowed near sharp objects, but I digress. I didn't get his name, so I will call him Cletus for illustrative purposes. No offense to anyone named Cletus.

So, Cletus answered the phone in service. In the spirit of brevity, here is the condensed version -

Me: Any updates on my trailer? What did Keystone decide to do?
Cletus: I don't know. They never got back to us. Why don't YOU call them and see if you can get a better answer? Sometimes when a customer calls, it helps things.
Me: oooookaaaaay. What number should I call?
Cletus: the number should be in your paperwork. Try there.
Me: ooookaaaay. You mean to tell me you don't have their number??
Cletus: no, we just have the number for service. If you can't find it, call back.

So, I go to the Keystone website, find a general number and call. After being transferred 3 times, I finally get someone who can help. She searches for my file and says, "well sir, it looks like THEY requested new window seals on April 11th, so they should have them any day now. There is nothing here that says we were supposed to make a decision. They ordered the seals under warranty and we sent them".

Soooo... I call the dealer back, get Cletus on the phone again and tell him what Keystone said.
I then ask, "so it looks like you are replacing the seals. So tell me, do you have the seals"?
Cletus: "I don't know. Do we?

Me - face palm. "Uhhh.... How am I supposed to know? You're the one that works there".
Cletus - "Oh. Hold on".

Cletus then covers the phone with his hand, asks the service manager and then says, "I don't think we have them. I don't know your situation so I don't know..."
Me: "Tell ya what - why don't you give me to the guy who actually knows what's going on".

The service manager then gets on the horn and tells me that parts placed an order, he calls over to the parts guy to see if it is in, and then tells me it is not. I then, very patiently tell him, "ya know... this information would have been a lot more helpful when I called the first time". No apology at all. He just re-iterates that parts placed the order and that the seals are not in yet but he will call me when they are.

So, the lesson learned here? If the dude answering the phone sounds like a doofus - end the conversation and ask to talk to someone who can give you a more informed answer.
Old 04-18-2011, 11:39 AM   #13
Handysam

You know its bad enough to have the problems you have with the camper, and then you have to deal with Mr. Doofus Cletus about getting the problems fixed. Perhaps another call to Keystone with the information and dealings with your dealer will help. I'm sure they would love to know.
Old 04-18-2011, 11:44 AM   #14
The Sod Father

Does anyone know if Keystone monitors this board?
Old 04-18-2011, 11:57 AM   #15
Festus2
Site Team

Your condensed version of this conversation with the "Service Department" and the manager at Pocono RV simply illustrates what goes on all too frequently nowadays. "Customer Service" has become an oxymoron - the last two syllables of which aptly describe your friend, Cletus - or is that Doofus? (I hope it isn't Festus!)
Maybe Cletus just hasn't found his niche in the Service Department at Pocono. How about a move to Parts?

Does anyone from Keystone monitor this forum? Mmmmmm, trying to think of an informed answer....... Look at the red print at the bottom of this page. Says we are not authorized, affliliated, endorsed or even related --- by, with or to Keystone. Somehow, I don't think they pay too much attention to what goes on here.... but that answer is totally uninformed.
Old 04-19-2011, 05:05 AM   #16
linebiker

My initial list was a full page, most of it dealer took care of. Many more things I fixed myself rather than bother with taking it back. Compared with many, my dealer and one closer to home worked with me rather well. Had a leak that was a major deal on slide. Major frustration first year.

My Raptor goes to alignment shop next week, do not know if it is a as built thing yet or someting I did. (tire wear)

08 Raptor 299
06 Dodge 3500 Cummins Lone Star
B&W Companion 5th
linebiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 08:06 AM   #17
campingcpl

I feel your pain!

Sod Father,
I had a similar issue with my dealer and some major repairs. The dealer kept telling me that they were waiting on Keystone to make up their minds on if it would be covered under warranty or not. Well I took it on myself to call Keystone and found out that they approved the repairs a week before I called them and I had just talked to the dealer the same day I called Keystone. The Keystone rep that I had talked to had also said they had already sent out the parts. What really got me is that my dealer was in Elkhart and the Keystone plant is in Goshen 20 minutes away, so why didn't my dealer already have the parts? I ended up getting the dealerships general manager involved and was about ready to tell them to keep the trailer and give me my money back for it. So I can relate to how you feel. As for if anyone at Keystone monitors this sit I couldn't tell you but I can tell you from personal experiance that I do know some manaufactures do look at these type of sites. Good luck with rest of the repairs you are having done!

Phil & Janine & Lady
2004.5 Chevy 2500HD Duramax LLY CC LB 4X4
2009 Keystone Sprinter 272RLS
campingcpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 07:32 PM   #18
Pennsylvaniasprinter

IMO....Keystone Customer service monitors websites......not only this one but others...(GoodSam). It would be foolish for their Customer Service not to. It's beneficial to get a feel of what people are saying about their product.
Pennsylvaniasprinter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 04:42 AM   #19
wozzukes

TheSodFather - Thanks for posting your dealer information. Pocono RV is actually our closest Keystone dealer. We didn't buy there because they couldn't match the price we were given and the sales guy never returned my phone calls with answers to my questions which just told me they didn't want our business. If we are to need any service or warranty work that was going to be where would go, but after reading your story and dealings with Cletus I think it may be worth driving the 2 1/2 hours back to the dealer we bought from!
Old 04-22-2011, 06:12 PM   #20
JRTJH
Site Team

I, as many others have been victims of the Cletus's in the service department. He also "helps out in parts" at times, so watch for him there too !!!

I've found that when I start getting the run around, and the service manager seems to have no better answers then Cletus, I get in touch with the General Manager. He has customer satisfaction as a major way to grow his business.

I learned a long time ago, when buying a major ticket item, BEFORE signing on the dotted line, talk to the GM learn his name and how to contact him. Get his card, keep it until you have all the paperwork, then staple it to the "contact list" for the dealership. When things go wrong, just like letting Keystone know about quality issues, let the GM at the dealership know. It might not always help, but it never hurts !!!!!

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote