Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 09-02-2010, 05:01 PM   #1
Ziggy

2008 Keystone Cougar 294RLS

Hi guys, I'm a brand new owner of a new/used 2008 Keystone Cougar and I'm researching what I need to do in order to winterize the trailer.

Does anybody out there know where the water pump is located on this specific unit? Further, does it have a fresh water tank by-pass on it such that I can run antifreeze through the lines?

What are other peoples experiences with winterizing this unit? Pump out the air and antifreeze? Just pump out the air?

Looks like the hot water tank on this unit has a one valve by-pass, does this sound right?

Any thoughts and suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
Ziggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 10:08 PM   #2
Festus2
Site Team

I have an '08 Cougar 5th (rear kitchen) --- water pump is located behind panel at rear of unit. There should be a removable panel near the sink area --- look for one and you may find the pump. Not sure whether your pump has a bypass connection or not.... mine doesn't. I disconnect the intake and use the tube and other connections that come with a winterizing kit you can purchase. The tube has a quick disconnect/connect fitting on it so it simply snaps into the intake on the pump. One end of the tube on the pump - the other end into a container of RV antifreeze.

I dont bother pumping air out of the lines - pump RV antifreeze into all lines after they are drained and the bypass valve to the HW tank is turned. Ours has only one bypass valve to the HW heater and I am sure yours will only have one as well.
You can go to the web and find additional info on winterizing RV's.
Don't forget to drain your outside shower and taps if your TT has this setup.
Old 09-06-2010, 04:30 PM   #3
Ziggy

Thanks Festus, I actully found the pump today. I sounds like we have the same pump as the intake line clicks out of the pump....the spot where I assume a winterizing kit hooks up so that I can fill the lines with antifreeze. Any idea how much that's worth?

Also, what can you tell me about the hot water tank? It has only one bypass valve, which is now closed. I also removed the anode rod today, is there anything else that I need to do to this hot water tank to winterize it? I've read that there is a pressure release valve for the hot water tank, can you provide info on that?

Lastly, under the trailer, I have opened the valve to the water tank to let that drain out, but I've also found two capped water pipes sticking out of the trailer under the kitchen sink area, any idea what these are for? I'm thinking that have something to do with the hot and cold lines?

ZIGGY
Ziggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 06:29 PM   #4
Festus2
Site Team

Ziggy:
Glad to hear you found the pump. You can buy a complete winterizing kit for around $20-$25 I think OR you can buy a small, black plastic hose fitting that snaps into the pump intake. I shoved this fitting into a 3ft length of garden hose. When you winterize, disconnect the intake from the pump, snap in the special plastic fitting and hose, and put the other end in a container of RV antifreeze. If you visit Country RV in Kelowna, they should have this fitting that I am talking about as well as the kit.
(The fitting came with the pump or was given to me by the dealership there)

Once you have drained the HW tank and removed the anode you might lift the pressure release valve and don't forget to turn off the 110 v to the tank. There is a small rocker switch with a cotter pin located in the bottom left hand corner of the recessed compartment (where the anode, pressure valve, etc are located). Make sure this switch is in the off postion. If you leave it on and plug in your RV during the winter , you will have 110V AC trying to heat an empty water tank and you will fry it!

Under your RV there are two capped water pipe ends that protrude slightly from the underbelly. These are the low water drain points for both the hot and cold water system. When you drain your lines, be sure to have these open. Also, dont forget about opening your outside shower tapes and draining those as well.
Hope this helps.