Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 02-27-2024, 08:59 AM   #1
Meagan

Water under sink

Does anybody have any idea what the source of this water could be?

It appears to be weeping from underneath the floorboard underneath the sink. I fully dried it out and then used the sink again and it got wet again.

My gray tank is empty and open.

You can also see that it’s not directly under either drain, and I can feel no leak water coming from any of the drain pipes nor the water supply. Thoughts?

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0621.jpeg
Views:	83
Size:	314.4 KB
ID:	46306   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0622.jpeg
Views:	89
Size:	252.3 KB
ID:	46307  
Meagan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2024, 10:00 AM   #2
sourdough
Site Team

1. Could water somehow be seeping from the other side of that partition? 2. Could water be coming down the hose for the sprayer (with the weight), accumulating on the weight and be dropping on the edge of the partition?
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2024, 10:04 AM   #3
JRTJH
Site Team

I would first focus on the faucet connections to the red and blue PEX tubing. If those are tight and not leaking, then next I'd check the valve body on the faucet where the valve stem/stems (depending on one handle or two handle faucet) are seated. We're coming out of winter and freeze damage can split both the PEX connectors and the faucet valve body/valve stem.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2024, 10:50 AM   #4
Meagan

I appreciate the ideas, but I don’t feel or see any water on the other side or on any of the lines underneath. It really seems like it’s seeping up from underneath.
Old 02-27-2024, 10:52 AM   #5
Meagan

I don’t see anything on the valve stem or the faucet either. I’ve been living in it full-time and haven’t had any major issues over the winter…

I was able to get an appointment with a mobile repair, but not for another two weeks! I guess I’m going to avoid doing dishes until then and switch over to paper?
Old 02-27-2024, 02:48 PM   #6
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meagan View Post
I don’t see anything on the valve stem or the faucet either. I’ve been living in it full-time and haven’t had any major issues over the winter…

I was able to get an appointment with a mobile repair, but not for another two weeks! I guess I’m going to avoid doing dishes until then and switch over to paper?
Or use a pan/bucket to carry water from the bathroom (which doesn't leak) to the kitchen sink. That would allow you to continue using your galley sink and at the same time, rule out the faucet as a source of the leak.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2024, 04:25 PM   #7
GlasNav

Quote:

It appears to be weeping from underneath the floorboard underneath the sink. I fully dried it out and then used the sink again and it got wet again.
What is on the other side of the partition that is wet; shower?

Run the water in the sink and crawl under there while the water is running, if nothing, run your shower and poke your head under the sink. The suggestion is to isolate and catch where it's coming from and not simply guessing.

2021 Cougar 25RDS
2019 RAM 3500 Longhorn, Mega Cab, DRW,
Cummins 6.7 HO, Aisin 6 Spd HD, 4x4
GlasNav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2024, 01:07 PM   #8
dutchmensport

The easiest way to single out a leaky water pipe is to put water in your fresh water tank and disconnect from city water. Turn on your on board water pump and let the system pressurize. Now wait. If you don't hear the water pump run, you have no water pipe, valves, or faucets leaking anywhere.

However, if you have all the faucets turned off an you hear the pump, you have water leaking somewhere. It takes only about 3 - 4 ounces of water running to turn the water pump on. If you have a leak, water spewing somewhere, the pump will run. Depending on how fast it cycles on and off depends upon how much water is running, either a leak or at the fauces.

Again, no pump running, no leaks. You can then 100% completely eliminate your fresh water system leaking. The problem is then elsewhere.

One step at a time, and test only one variable at a time until you find the problem. Good luck!
Old 02-28-2024, 05:27 PM   #9
rhagfo

Quote:

You can also see that it’s not directly under either drain, and I can feel no leak water coming from any of the drain pipes nor the water supply. Thoughts?

Thanks!
Well if the water pump test doesn’t indicate a leak, get it dry again. Then use the faucet again while watching under the sink. Might try wrapping some toilet paper around the two water lines and the faucet pull out line, see if any get damp.
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2024, 08:37 AM   #10
ObiRich

If that's an outside wall, I'd check for a roof leak.
ObiRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2024, 10:11 AM   #11
LHaven

Just speaking in detective mode, it's a fascinating coincidence that the stain is a fairly accurate "normal curve," centered rather precisely on the hose weight.

This could be something like a leak right at the rear end of the sprayer head (bad connector or body crack) which drips only when you turn the faucet on and maybe even only when you pull the head out to spray. In this case, the water pump leak test won't show it because the faucet is still tight.

I'd put a small bucket directly under the weight for a couple weeks, with a sprinkling of dry tempera paint in the bottom to make any leaks obvious.
Old 03-04-2024, 06:33 AM   #12
Lee

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by LHaven View Post
Just speaking in detective mode, it's a fascinating coincidence that the stain is a fairly accurate "normal curve," centered rather precisely on the hose weight.

This could be something like a leak right at the rear end of the sprayer head (bad connector or body crack) which drips only when you turn the faucet on and maybe even only when you pull the head out to spray. In this case, the water pump leak test won't show it because the faucet is still tight.

I'd put a small bucket directly under the weight for a couple weeks, with a sprinkling of dry tempera paint in the bottom to make any leaks obvious.
You hit the nail on the head for the same type issue I was having with my water leak years ago.

1970 F250 Highboy 4x4
2013 Cougar 21RBSWE
Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2024, 06:19 PM   #13
Folkie

Quote:

Thanks!
If none of the other suggestions help you solve the issue I have one more. I noticed a leak under our kitchen sink and I was not able to find any plumbing issues. The leak only seemed to occur when we were doing dishes. I turns out that water splashed on the counter was leaking down from around the faucet.

A little clear silicone caulk around the base of the faucet was the cure. Good luck.

Tags
sink, water