Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Toy Haulers
Click Here to Login

Old 02-14-2024, 12:08 PM   #21
Cheesehead4Life

A lot of good thoughts here already.

One more thing - my Progressive Dynamics 60amp charger will put out 70+ amps according to my Victron Smart Shunt. So could that mean your 90 amp charger is putting out more than 100 amps. It could be. You said you have a shunt and I'm assuming it is the Victron Smart Shunt. Make sure to have the app open when you start charging to see what amperage is going into the batteries. You can also use the tabs within the app to see a history which could help you troubleshoot by seeing the amperage over time.

2020 Outback 341RD
2018 Ram 2500 6.7L Cummins Turbo Diesel
Cheesehead4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2024, 06:25 PM   #22
firestation12

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrated View Post
So if I'm understanding you correctly, you have two 100A batteries in parallel....I originally though the battery was a single 200AH battery, not two 100s. Theoretically, the output from the Converter/Charger (90 amps max), should be dividing that current up equally to the two batteries (a parallel circuit path) and should result in 45 amps being fed to each battery....given that everything is equal. And that 45 amps should be within the range of current for an individual battery's BMS
I’m wondering if the OP improperly connected the positive /negative in/out leads at one end of the parallel set of batteries, instead of placing the ground and positive leads at opposite corners. That would cause the first battery closest to the pos/neg to receive the brunt of the input charge voltage. I know that the opposite is true that the output of multiple batteries in parallel drain disproportionately i.e. first the battery discharges the second lags behind the first, etc., if improperly connected in parallel.
Retired Fire Capt/paramedic 34 yrs
Current owner 2 HVAC companies
Past owner Res/Com electrical
firestation12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2024, 09:09 AM   #23
watkins

Got an update….

Out boondocking and this morning the charge cycle was clicking on and off for 30min or so.

Called battleborn. Asked if their BMS makes a clicking noise when it’s triggered. They said nope. The BMS is silent.

So now at least I have that. Other items in compartment. There is a 120amp circuit breakers thingy, a 250 amp circuit breaker thingy and the victron shunt. Can’t quite figure out which is clicking. Those circuit breakers have no buttons on them so I’m assuming they are automatic.

Ideas?
watkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2024, 10:13 AM   #24
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by watkins View Post
Got an update….

Ideas?
Take a long screwdriver, put the "pointy end" on the suspect device and then put the handle against your ear. You should be able to determine if the clicking is coming from that device.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2024, 11:34 AM   #25
firestation12

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
Take a long screwdriver, put the "pointy end" on the suspect device and then put the handle against your ear. You should be able to determine if the clicking is coming from that device.
You mean use an Arkansas stethoscope to locate the clicking noise?
firestation12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2024, 03:31 PM   #26
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by firestation12 View Post
You mean use an Arkansas stethoscope to locate the clicking noise?
LOL... Oklahomans call it a Texas stethoscope, Texans call it an Arkansas stethoscope, Arkansans call it a Cajun stethoscope, Cajuns call it a Mississippi redneck stethescope, Mississippians call it a Georgia....

Like the Eveready bunny, it just keeps going and going and going and g o i n g ........

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 02-26-2024, 12:18 PM   #27
watkins

Pretty sure I found it.....

Was the breaker in the Giggy box labeled "50 Amp Output" which goes directly to the converter/charger box. Interesting they would have a 50 Amp breaker on a 90amp charger.

Do I upgrade the breaker? Or?
watkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2024, 08:10 AM   #28
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by watkins View Post
Pretty sure I found it.....

Was the breaker in the Giggy box labeled "50 Amp Output" which goes directly to the converter/charger box. Interesting they would have a 50 Amp breaker on a 90amp charger.

Do I upgrade the breaker? Or?
To be "safe" that depends specifically on the wire size at the 50 amp breaker. Installing a "too large breaker" so you can operate a "bigger electrical load on wiring that will get hot with the load" is not a "safe way to upgrade". So, if the wiring won't support a larger breaker, you'll either need to upgrade the wiring or stick with the current size circuit breaker "to remain electrically safe"... The purpose of the solar system is to get further from a power source (boondocking) which also is usually further from the fire department in the event of an emergency, so think it through completely before sticking in a circuit breaker that's almost twice the current one.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS