Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 04-23-2012, 03:32 PM   #1
jacksonjack

Chevy 2500 HD with 300mp

Hi Everyone,
I have a 2011 Chevy Quad Cab 2500 HD with a Duramax. I'm picking up my 2011 300MP tomorrow. They are installing a Pullrite Super Glide.

Anybody running the same setup and should I expect to run into any problems with this set-up ?

Thanks
jacksonjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 04:54 PM   #2
mhs4771

Other than the fact you're looking at 16.5K gross and more than likely a real world pin weight near 3500. The Duramax will pull it no problem, but controlling it may be another story. As you can tell, I'm not a big fan of heavy rigs and 3/4 ton TVs, no matter what brand. Run the numbers, right now there are several folks on the Redwood Forum who have just picked up they new rigs and are now looking for 1 Ton Duallys to handle the 16.5K gross.
2011 Chevy Silverado 3500HD Ext Cab LT DRW Duramax/Allison pulling a 2012 SOB (still Thor, but not a Keystone), Dual ACs, 4 Door Fridge, Fireplace, Sleep Number Bed, Level-Up Auto Levelers, Disc Brakes, Winegard DirecTV SlimLine Auto Dish, Onan 5.5K, Splendide Combo Washer/Dryer, GY G114s on HiSpec 17.5 wheels, TrailAir Tri-Glide Pin Box, Mor/ryde IS.

Michelle & Ann Sullivan and 4 American Shorthairs
mhs4771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 05:35 PM   #3
Stewmon

Just bought a 300mp a few weeks ago too! I have a 2005 Duramax crew cab, put a Pullrite non slider in, had no problem on the 60 miles bringing it home. Pin weight is heavy but once the garage is loaded with the Ultra classic, it balances out nicely.
Enjoy!
Stewmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 05:46 PM   #4
jacksonjack

Ok, so expkain.....
i go to my Duramax book and it says max trailer weight is 16,700 lbs
i go to the trailer brochure and ir says the trailer weight is 11,569
looks to me like i have 5131 lbs to play with ???
i tend to travel light.when i get whereim going i load up with whati want.
Sure would a dually be better,obviously .
but i think my question was " Anyone running this set-up ."
Old 04-23-2012, 05:49 PM   #5
jacksonjack

Stewmon, ...i have an ultra classic also. Thanks for the info, ride safe
Old 04-23-2012, 06:09 PM   #6
Stewmon

Thanks, ride safe too! The only thing I am worried about is the non-slider that the dealer put in. Turning radius is good, but its worrying me. Maybe Ive just read too many horror stories! oh well, we will see how it goes......fingers crossed.
Stewmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 09:35 AM   #7
ozzy

I have a 2011 2500 Duramax crew cab and a 2012 300MP Raptor. It pulls great and I have not had any problems (I do have a slider). I have come within 1/2 inch of hitting my sidewalls, though, going into one of my boondocking sites.

I am considering raising my hitch for my local trips (within 50 miles) and putting it back to the 6" clearance the dealer had on my cross country trips.

Last trip I hauled 100 gallons water, two 600 pound ATV's and 30 gallons of fuel in the Raptor and had to pull a third ATV on a 14' trailer (total trailer weight around 1800 pounds). Had no problems at all. Of course I stayed slow adn was on back roads with no downhill grades.

On the way back, I had dumped the water adn used the fuel and had some long steep grades and had no issues whatsoever. Compression brake and tow/haul kept it at a perfect speed.
ozzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 08:35 PM   #8
ricky4453

Hello everyone, any chance the same truck with a gas engine and 4.10 gear can pull the 300MP? Thanks
ricky4453 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 06:12 AM   #9
gbsb

I don't know how a gas truck will pull a 300mp but I know a gas truck with a 4.10 will pull a Fuzion 383 TE 11 wich is a 40' toyhauler. and I haul a Harley Tri Glide, around 1200 pounds of trike. We also full time so we have a lot of other stuff on board. The gas truck is a 2001 GMC Crew Cab Dually Longbed with a 8.1 gas and a Allison automatic. I get 7 mpg towing on average and 11mpg nontowing. I have pulled from Texas to Alaska and back to Texas last year and we are in the Outer Banks in NC now so we do move around. I drive slow normally fifty five to sixty mph but we are retired and I normally travel 300 miles or less and try to stay 3 days to a week at every stop. I had a single rear wheel 1 ton years ago and towed a 38' Montana and it towed fine but did squat the truck The Dually is the only way to go imo. No sway in the wind, no Squatting when hooked up, big brakes. But that is the reason they make all kinds and sizes. I like Gas trucks most people don't. There is a lot of experience on here that was earned the hard way so heed the advise given.. Remember that there is a lot more to towing than just the power the motor has pulling is one thing, weight and stopping is a totally different subject.
Living the dream fulltiming across America
gbsb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 07:44 AM   #10
ls1mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbsb View Post
I don't know how a gas truck will pull a 300mp but I know a gas truck with a 4.10 will pull a Fuzion 383 TE 11 wich is a 40' toyhauler. and I haul a Harley Tri Glide, around 1200 pounds of trike. We also full time so we have a lot of other stuff on board. The gas truck is a 2001 GMC Crew Cab Dually Longbed with a 8.1 gas and a Allison automatic. I get 7 mpg towing on average and 11mpg nontowing. I have pulled from Texas to Alaska and back to Texas last year and we are in the Outer Banks in NC now so we do move around. I drive slow normally fifty five to sixty mph but we are retired and I normally travel 300 miles or less and try to stay 3 days to a week at every stop. I had a single rear wheel 1 ton years ago and towed a 38' Montana and it towed fine but did squat the truck The Dually is the only way to go imo. No sway in the wind, no Squatting when hooked up, big brakes. But that is the reason they make all kinds and sizes. I like Gas trucks most people don't. There is a lot of experience on here that was earned the hard way so heed the advise given.. Remember that there is a lot more to towing than just the power the motor has pulling is one thing, weight and stopping is a totally different subject.
What year was your old 1ton?

2000 Trans Am WS6 11 seconds of 1/4 mile goodness.
The rest of the cars don't matter.
ls1mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 08:00 AM   #11
billstuart

I think you'll be fine. I tow an Alpine 3555RL with a 2009 F250 short bed w/a 6.4L Diesel on a PullRite 18K slider. You will love the hitch - you never have to even think about the front cap of your trailer hitting the cab of your truck. I lube the rails of the slider w/WD-40 per the hitch owner's manual and once you've towed a time or two with it the hitch will slide & bang around when you're not towing, so I bungie mine down - problem solved. The only issue I've had is that my dealer installed the electrical connector in the driver's side forward end of the truck bed and twice on very tight right turns the pig tail has pulled out. Luckily, both times it happened during low speed manuevering.

As to the 3/4 ton vs. 1 ton thing - I've been chastised here for towing a 39' 15K# 5er with my 3/4 ton, but my truck is rated to tow 22K#, it handles the job very nicely and I feel safe with the set up. Sure, a 1 ton might be more ideal but hey, a semi tractor would be more ideal than a 1 ton, too. And you already have the 3/4 ton that you probably don't want to lose your butt on by trading up to a 1 ton. As long as you're not over capacity per Chevy specs and you are confident your set up is safe, I think you're good to go.

Happy trails,
Andersen Ultimate 5th Wheel Connection

Previous RV's:
1992 Prowler 35' Bunkhouse
1986 Fireball 30'
1978 Nomad 24'
1963 Kenskill 19.5'
1972 Dyna Cruiser Camper on '72 F-250
A Tent
billstuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 06:33 PM   #12
gbsb

The old 1 ton was a 1998 Chevy 1 ton Crew Cab Longbed. It was a great truck but I do like the Dually better the Allison transmittion has a lot to do with that, The Allison is a heck of a transmittion.
Living the dream fulltiming across America
gbsb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 07:37 PM   #13
jacksonjack

I started this post a while back. I noticed it was back to the top. I pulled my 300mp from missouri out to utah and back. No problems and I felt safe the entire time. I did go ahead and installed air bags just to help level it out a bit. I'm happy with it.