Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 09-09-2023, 04:21 AM   #1
LowCutKilt

Curt E16 Hookup Question

Hi there, newbie to 5th wheel towing, long time tow-behind guy.

I have a Curt E16 hitch with the slide-bar.

I'm having trouble figuring out exactly how this is supposed to latch.

I know I can pull the slide bar level out, twist it and those 2 metal 'bumps' (for lack of a better word). Hold the bar in place.

I can then back into the hitch and see it make contact, but the bar doesn't close on its own. If I twist the bar and close it manually, it does fully retract again.

Is that the proper way to connect, or should that bar be closing automatically (which it appears it can't as those bumps hold it open in place).

Thanks in advance for helping a newbie understand how to do this safely and properly!
LowCutKilt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2023, 05:25 AM   #2
TXiceman

This should answer your questions.
chrome-extension://efaidnbmnnnibpcajpcglclefindmkaj/https://assets.curtmfg.com/masterlibrary/16515/installsheet/16515_INS.pdf

I have never liked the Curt hitch head. ALWAYS do a tug test before lifting the front trailer legs up. Lift the legs about an inch off the ground and block the wheels. Hook up and put the truck in drive and try to pull forward to make sure the hitch jaws are closed and latched.

Ken
Old 09-09-2023, 10:08 AM   #3
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by LowCutKilt View Post
Hi there, newbie to 5th wheel towing, long time tow-behind guy.

I have a Curt E16 hitch with the slide-bar.

I'm having trouble figuring out exactly how this is supposed to latch.

I know I can pull the slide bar level out, twist it and those 2 metal 'bumps' (for lack of a better word). Hold the bar in place.

I can then back into the hitch and see it make contact, but the bar doesn't close on its own. If I twist the bar and close it manually, it does fully retract again.

Is that the proper way to connect, or should that bar be closing automatically (which it appears it can't as those bumps hold it open in place).

Thanks in advance for helping a newbie understand how to do this safely and properly!
Just to clarify: When you say that you "twist it and those 2 metal 'bumps' .. hold it in place, are you twisting the handle so that it points UP or DOWN ???

If you're pointing the handle UP, then it is in the "armed position" and as the king pin moves into position, it pushes the "diagonal locking pawl" forward and the "1x3" locking bar" should "spring to the closed position with a loud "BUMP" sound.

On the other hand, if you're pulling the handle to open the locking bar and then "twisting the handle DOWN, you're putting the hitch in the "locked position" and the bar will not close, even with the diagonal locking pawl pushed forward.

In short, the locking bar handle must be pointed up for the springs to close the locking bar.

If, on the other hand, you are pulling the handle out and twisting it up and the locking bar will not spring shut when you back into the pin, then you have a problem either with a broken spring (there are two, one on the diagonal locking pawl and one on the locking bar) or you have a bent/broken component in the slide bar mechanism.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote