Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Keystone Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 03-03-2008, 11:09 AM   #1
avos0606

Question Peeling decals

This was a message by someone who was able to remove peeling decals. I can't seem to find it.. My question is "How did they remove the adhesive etc.?"
Our less than 4 year old Mountaineer looks terrible because of peeling decals and I would like to something about them.
Thanks for any info.
avos0606 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 06:22 AM   #2
mjb1409

Completely remove old decals. Do not try to remove them with a sharp object. Heat them with a hair dryer or heat gun, and carefully pull the decal to lift it from the sidewall. Avoid overheating the area and risking damage to the sidewall. Do small areas at a time. Once the decal is gone, remove traces of adhesive with 3M Adhesive Cleaner, then wipe the area with denatured alcohol.
(this was from Trailer Life website).
mjb1409 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 06:34 AM   #3
vicon

decal removal

I removed my decals on a previous trailer by pulling them off when they were heated in the sun (similar to using a heat gun or hair dryer, but less likely to cause damage - if you are careless). I removed the remaining adhesive with duct tape. I applied the duct tape and rubbed the back of the tape with a cloth to make sure I had solid adhesion. At the same time, I left a corner of the tape curled over so I could grab it easily and slowly peeled it off the camper wall. The tape does a great job of removing the adhesive and you do not have to worry about using chemicals that might harm the surface of your rig.
vicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 06:14 PM   #4
Trailer Trash2

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicon View Post
I removed my decals on a previous trailer by pulling them off when they were heated in the sun (similar to using a heat gun or hair dryer, but less likely to cause damage - if you are careless). I removed the remaining adhesive with duct tape. I applied the duct tape and rubbed the back of the tape with a cloth to make sure I had solid adhesion. At the same time, I left a corner of the tape curled over so I could grab it easily and slowly peeled it off the camper wall. The tape does a great job of removing the adhesive and you do not have to worry about using chemicals that might harm the surface of your rig.
I agree with vicon with all the hot weather we have been having they should come off very easy, and less clean up too.
Keystone uses inferrior graffics vinal as far as im conserned mine were peeling on the edges 2 years after I bought it. Keystone "Sorry out of warintee" Grrrr
I'll take them all off and have a graffics desiner paint on some thing else other than an advertisement
Old 01-16-2010, 12:38 PM   #5
K&Gs3400RL

I had to take them off our first Cougar, afyer the second year. You would think Keystone would be happy to replace them, or learn to use better vinyl.

Our New 3400RL 9/17/11

K and G's 3400 RL
2004 Ram 3500
And 5 dogs, Dusty, Sassy, Jasmine, MoJo and Scooter
K&Gs3400RL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 04:57 PM   #6
armywife96

Peeling decals, no help from dealer.

We purchased a Keystone Travel Trailer in late 2009. I noticed the corner of one decal coming off, and told the dealer at delivery, the said it was nothing and "took" the corner off. Now 3 years later even with proper care the entire RV's decals are peeling off. It looks horrible. I have gotten no help from the dealer and repeatedly gotten the message it is out of warranty, all repair costs of putting new decals will be at our expense. Is there really nothing that can be done? We have kept this unit in showroom quality on the inside and done our best with the outside. Has anyone had any luck with the manufacturer helping out with this? We owned a different rv for several years before upgrading to this one and never had any problems like this.
armywife96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 05:50 PM   #7
JRTJH
Site Team

Armywife96,

First off, to the forum and thank you for your service and your husband's service to our nation. We all appreciate the contributions you make to keep our nation and our continent free.

Now, as for problems with decals. Every manufacturer has issues with peeling and fading decals. Sometimes Keystone will offer replacement decals and sometimes they won't. It seems to depend on how old the RV is and whether there were "issues" with decals during the time it was manufactured. Apparently there were some "inferior" decals manufactured some time ago. Keystone has been suprisingly helpful to owners of out of warranty RV's.

Go to the top blue bar on every page of this forum, click on the "SEARCH" button, type in "DECAL" and start reading. You'll find comments from members who have had much the same problem as you. In those comments you'll find what they did to contact Keystone, how the process went, how to remove the old decals, how to apply the new ones. Where to find decals if Keystone won't help. What to do to help restore your older decals...

Read what's available, your questions have been answered a number of times and the information is still relavent to your problem.

Again, welcome to the forum, we're glad you decided to join and we look forward to hearing about your RV and your travels.

John

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 09:16 PM   #8
LouSlugger

Here is my old post on this topic:
I use a stripe remover wheel (made by 3M) attached to a drill (you will need about 2000 rpms so some cordless drills won't work well) to get the main stuff off, then wipe down with lacquer thinner (NOT paint thinner).

Good luck.

2007 Fuzion 362 Toy Hauler
2009 Ford F250 Super Duty Lariat 6.4L twin turbo diesel
LouSlugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 04:50 PM   #9
beachbum

decals - 2013 Premier 31bhpr

The decals on the front cap are already starting to peel. My unit was delivered in October 2012

I really hope that Keystone fixes under warranty. I'll post my experience on it.
beachbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 08:55 AM   #10
rllwilson

Angry Peeling Decals

Just to relate my most recent experience with Keystone No Customer service. I encourage you to stay vigilent with them to get these decals replaced with quality products. I own a 2010 Cougar which I purchased new July 2011. I love the trailer and its design, but have had two major problems since purchasing that relate to the construction and materials. 1) Roof leak discovered just after warranty expired because I had limited use prior to warranty expiration and never exposed to steady week of rain when the trailer was sited on a level pad. It took a lot of hard work pictures and shabby dealer customer service to prove that the roof had not been constructed correctly at a major front seam and Keystone finally paid for the repair. 2) some but not all of the decals are literally curling and falling off on one side of the trailer (receives more sun than the other). The forum discussions indicated that there was a quality problem with decals from the period when my unit was manufactured so I contacted Keystone directly hoping to find that at the very least, they would supply decals that I could use to replace the defective ones (at my cost). After speaking with 3 different folks in "owner relation", and being sent on 3 wild goose chases to 3 incorrect decal suppliers, and accused of incorrectly washing it (used dealer RV wash on ALL decals)I was finally told that they had identified the correct manufacturer but "You are unable to purchase graphics directly from BGS or Keystone. You can use the model I sent you to order replacements through a Keystone dealer." I followed up with a Keystone warranty individual who had assisted with my roof defect, and was told that "Unfortunately, this is something I will not be able to assist on as your warranty has expired. I do apologize in advance for any inconvenience this may cause." So sorry for the long post, but word to the wise. Customer service is horrible and they do NOT stand behind their products after warranty regardless of the cause. Stay vigilent and take lots of photographs.
rllwilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 11:01 AM   #11
davidjsimons

Baby shampoo and warm water in a spray bottle works well also for positioning decals.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
davidjsimons is offline   Reply With Quote