Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone RV Customer Comments > Keystone RV Service & Warranty Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 10-07-2014, 01:15 PM   #1
SandyB

Water Overflow coming out side of Fifth Wheel

Hello Keystone,
I have a question about water overflow I have had. Both the galley and the grey water have overflowed into the house and not backed up into the respective areas ie sink and shower. I need to know if this overflow just goes out the sides of the house and that it would not in any way damage the insulation and structure. Can you tell me if the house is so sealed that the water overflow I saw would only be on the outside of the guts of the Fifth Wheel or would it in fact affect the insulation in the inside of the house. I have a 2011 Keystone Outback Sydney 325FRE. Thanks for your help on this.
Sandy
SandyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 01:34 PM   #2
GaryWT

Not sure what you mean by the house but if you gray tanks are full the water should show up in the lowest open drain. Anywhere else I would say there is a leak.
GaryWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 01:45 PM   #3
therink

If any of the waste tanks are full overfilled, the water should not leak out through the belly or anywhere. The water should back up into the lowest drain first.
This is one test that I perform during the pre delivery inspection on any rig I have owned.

2015 GMC Sierra Denali 3500HD, SRW, Duramax, CC, SB (payload 3700)

https://i1109.photobucket.com/albums/...65/340FBH1.jpg
therink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 01:46 PM   #4
SandyB

Water Overflow

Thank you for the answer. I know there is a leak but is the inside of the fifth wheel sealed so that if it leaked out the side and under the fifth wheel it would not harm the insulation of the house. That's the question. I know there is a leak.
SandyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 02:48 PM   #5
GaryWT

Without knowing where the leak is, there is not telling what the damage could be. Will need to open it up and look.
GaryWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 04:45 PM   #6
jsmith948

First, the grey water tanks should NOT leak into the under belly of your trailer.
If you allowed the tanks to completely fill, they should have backed up into the sink or shower. If the "cheater vent" sometimes used under the kitchen sink failed, you would have had water under the kitchen sink. To answer your question, if you have waste water running into the under belly of your RV, you have serious problems that MUST be addressed. The insulation (what little there is) and the wiring and other components within the under belly are going to have to be dried out. I would want to remove the coroplast under belly and get everything dry and find the leak. In the meantime, don't overfill the gray water tanks.

Jack & Marty
2018 Laredo 298 SRL
2011 F-250 SB Crew Cab 4x4 6.7L
jsmith948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 05:54 PM   #7
chuckster57
Site Team

welcome to the forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyB View Post
Hello Keystone,
I have a question about water overflow I have had. Both the galley and the grey water have overflowed into the house and not backed up into the respective areas ie sink and shower. I need to know if this overflow just goes out the sides of the house and that it would not in any way damage the insulation and structure. Can you tell me if the house is so sealed that the water overflow I saw would only be on the outside of the guts of the Fifth Wheel or would it in fact affect the insulation in the inside of the house. I have a 2011 Keystone Outback Sydney 325FRE. Thanks for your help on this.
Sandy
First off this ISN'T Keystone, just a group of people that own Keystone products. I can't say if anybody from Keystone even looks at this forum. Now onto your question/problem:

There shouldn't be any "overflow" as mentioned above. All the storage tanks should be intact and all associated plumbing/piping should be intact. IF you fill any waste tank beyond full, it should as mentioned above, back up in the pipes and start showing at the lowest point. Most often with a two tank system, the gray water will start showing in the shower or bath tub. The black tank should if constructed and plumbed right NOT back up beyond the toilet.

With that said, if there is a break, failed joint/seal then the waste water will leak. Where the actual breach is will determine what potential damage can happen. The tanks are installed BELOW the floor line, and if the leak is at the tank, then all the "overflow" will be contained in the belly. If the leak is in a drain line, then again it depends on where it is. At any rate your issue needs to be addressed as soon as possible. Standing water anywhere can cause serious issues. Having been in many under bellies, I can tell you there may be wires laying in the waste water.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote