Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone RV Customer Comments > Keystone RV Service & Warranty Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 01-29-2015, 01:01 PM   #1
hemisareslow

My wife and I are picking up our new 2015 Laredo 320TG in another month and are wondering if it is worth the extra cost for the extended warranty. The dealer started at $2,500 and we have them down to $1,200 for a 4 year (from the day we pick it up) bumper to bumper warranty. I sell cars for a living and see the value in a warranty on a car with all the high price electronic repairs they may require....but the warranties we sell are for 72 months.....What do you guys think? Is it worth the $1,200 for 4 years of warranty? How likely are we to use it? The camper will be on a seasonal spot and be used almost every weekend....it will make one 200 mile round trip in July. I would love your opinions. Thanks..Mike

The warranty is through Protective Xtra Ride and this is what it covers:
Covers all of the mechanical items in the trailer, covers slide seals, $1,000 for towing, $200 for service calls, $100 for food spoilage, $250 for LP failure, $250 for Pet Benefit, and $750 for emergency transportation.
hemisareslow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 01:12 PM   #2
Festus2
Site Team

In a nutshell ........ save your money and instead set aside a weekly or monthly sum of money which will be ONLY be used for RV repairs. Why give your money to someone else? If you won't be pulling your unit around the country, any mechanical breakdowns are pretty unlikely. To purchase an extended warranty for a unit that isn't going anywhere is, IMO, not a wise investment.

IF you do decide to go ahead and purchase it, I'd be more interested in finding out what it DOES NOT cover than what it does. Read over - very carefully - all of the exclusions.

Have you researched Protective Xtra Ride ? How long have they been in business? What kind of claim payout history do they have? Will they be around in 4 years? How much are the deductibles?

I think you get my point. Not a great idea.
Old 01-29-2015, 02:26 PM   #3
JRTJH
Site Team

In addition to what Festus2 said, all of the major components of your trailer are covered for one year by Keystone. After that, the axles, A/C, converter/charger, refrigerator, stove, water pump, water heater, tires, propane regulator and several other items are covered by the individual manufacturer's warranty. Most of them are either two years or three years depending on the item. So, your "extended warranty that runs for 4 years" is really only a 2 year or possibly 1 year warranty depending on the failed item.

With as little towing as you'll do, the only thing that you may have issues with is the slide seals or slide mechanism. It certainly won't cost $1200 plus your deductible to repair anything minor that might happen. The chances of anything major happening in the year or two that you wouldn't have Keystone's warranty or the component manufacturer's warranty is not likely, especially since you won't be towing for any significant distance.

Save your money and put it aside for future repairs if they might become necessary.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 03:26 PM   #4
instymp

If you sell cars you know that the after market extended warranty companies make millions because things don't break near as often as they do.
instymp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 06:38 PM   #5
GaryWT

Since you are parking it then I would say probably not. I have one on mine, not really sure why but it is 7 years for about $1200 or less all rolled into the loan/cost of the trailer. Had one on our previous trailer and we got most of it back after trading it in after 2 years.
GaryWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 07:48 PM   #6
mazboy123

extend warranties

extended warranties are a waste of money! is that clear enough
mazboy123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 10:31 AM   #7
rs2049

I am from Canada. I have a 2012 Raptor. I purchased an extended warranty for $2500 and in the last year have lost 2 black tanks. It has paid for itself now and I have several more years coverage left. Guess it depends on the problems you might encounter. Worked for me!
rs2049 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 10:44 AM   #8
BOWWOW

If you use the search function to look up keywords " Extended Warranty Needed ? " You will find 3 pages on this topic.

2010 Fuzion FZ 302 has 12ply F-loads, Dexter ez-flex w/ wet bolts, 6 volt Deka GC 15 batteries, 1 gen battery, solarpanels, leds inside, replaced clear textured door glass with tinted, 87 gallons of loc-tite.
Decals removed.
AKA CONFUZION / PORH HONKY.
BOWWOW is offline   Reply With Quote