Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone RV Customer Comments > Keystone RV Service & Warranty Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 12-30-2014, 07:15 PM   #1
Bunkhouse

RV Industry Service concerns

Hello Everyone,

We've had a very poor experience with our new 5th wheel. We bought it new, and have had a hole host of issues. The control panel went out. The remote never worked. The hot water heater did not function properly. The cap faded after 1/2 a season. The unit was delivered to us with the frame of the couch busted in half. The dealer didn't even clean the roof. This is all being addressed under the warranty, however it took 7 weeks to somewhat fix the panel and that was only because I called everyday. The dealer tried to tell me it would take up to three months. I was also told I should ge3t used to this and that "this is just how the RV industry is".

Earlier in life I worked in the automotive industry, and this would never have been tolerated. I now work in the business world and I would never tell one of my customers to just deal with it.

Any thoughts out there ? Is my frustration ill placed ?
Bunkhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 07:31 PM   #2
gearhead

I share your frustration. I am not a promoter of government interference by any means, but I think legislation is about the only solution.
When the RV dealer service rep's first question is: "did you buy it here?", there are some serious issues in my opinion.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 07:49 PM   #3
chuckster57
Site Team

Your going to find that just like any other business, there are good ones and bad ones. Some RV dealers will sell you the unit you picked out, put a battery in it (maybe), shake your hand and send you on your way.

Others will take the time to check everything, fix any discrepancies that they can at the time, and explain how your unit works when you pick it up. I am sorry your dealing with issues that should have been dealt with BEFORE you took possession, but as long as they get addressed to your satisfaction, don't let it sour your taste for RV'ing.

I can say from firsthand experience, during the peak season, customers that purchased from us do get priority, doesn't mean we wont work on someone else's unit, but it the same thing if you take your auto to a dealership for work. Seen that first hand when I took my truck to the local Ford dealer for a safety recall.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 08:17 PM   #4
gearhead

So Chuckster what is behind the poor service?

It's not worth the investment in buildings, tools, and people?
They're making plenty of money in sales and don't have to do good service?
The manufacturer does not reimburse the dealer adequately for warranty work, so why bother?
They can't find decent repair techs for what they are willing to pay?
The service department is poorly managed and everyone there is overwhelmed?

It's gotta be something.
Old 12-30-2014, 08:21 PM   #5
Bunkhouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
Your going to find that just like any other business, there are good ones and bad ones. Some RV dealers will sell you the unit you picked out, put a battery in it (maybe), shake your hand and send you on your way.

Others will take the time to check everything, fix any discrepancies that they can at the time, and explain how your unit works when you pick it up. I am sorry your dealing with issues that should have been dealt with BEFORE you took possession, but as long as they get addressed to your satisfaction, don't let it sour your taste for RV'ing.

I can say from firsthand experience, during the peak season, customers that purchased from us do get priority, doesn't mean we wont work on someone else's unit, but it the same thing if you take your auto to a dealership for work. Seen that first hand when I took my truck to the local Ford dealer for a safety recall.
Thank you for your service in law enforcement !

It won't sour my taste for RV'ing, it's just disappointing that there are some company's that think this is acceptable.
Bunkhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 08:33 PM   #6
chuckster57
Site Team

I wish I had the answer my friend...I wouldn't be just a lowly tech

I think it's a combination of factors, and the more poor factors the worse the service and the dealership in general. We could debate this til we both have sore fingers from typing, but I will say that it seems like overall (not just the RV industry) customer care/concern has taken a back seat.

Okay back on my soapbox for a second:

I have operated my own auto repair business "on the side" for over 40 years, and have some customers that I have had for the entire time. When I got hired at my present dealership, I carried that philosophy with me. Did it cause some friction with my boss? Only for a minute as I explained what an occasional "gimme" did for the bottom line. We are doing 10X the business as when I started, and we continue to grow. My boss has over 30 yrs in the RV service business, been through the boon and bust. He and I have seen techs come and go, and now we have 3 guys that "give a hoot" about their work. Hard to find that kind of worker in any line of work IMO. Maybe it's because I am over 55 and we had a different work ethic it seems. Anyway, lets not get each other all heated up this late in the evening, I do have to go to work in the morning... if you'd like to carry this conversation on, PM me and I'll be glad to give you my Phone number...I drive an hour each way to/from work.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
Old 12-30-2014, 08:35 PM   #7
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunkhouse View Post
Thank you for your service in law enforcement !

It won't sour my taste for RV'ing, it's just disappointing that there are some company's that think this is acceptable.
Your welcome. And I agree, when you find a company that finds crap acceptable, do, what you can to spread the word... Yelp, review sites and such. BUT all I ask is when you find the gem, share it too. Enjoy your trailer

Old 12-30-2014, 08:58 PM   #8
gearhead

It's the people usually. Sounds like you've got it Chuckster.
Actually me and the wife are sitting here at 11pm trying to find a place to deliver pizza to Crossroads RV in Lexington N.C. tomorrow. They thought they were repairing our Dometic A/C under warranty, but it was a Keystone issue, and they weren't Keystone.
No charge to us to fix a loose wire.
I still remember it from April.
Poppa Johns, 2 miles away from them. 1058 miles from us. Guess I should call first to be sure they will be there!
Old 12-31-2014, 03:56 AM   #9
wahoonc

I have a variety of thoughts about the RV service industry, as well as the RV industry as a whole.

I think the number one problem is the lack of consistency and QC at the manufacturer level. This in turn overwhelms the dealer service network. To me it is mind boggling to see the acres and acres of units sitting at the dealers waiting for warranty work and basic service.

There is a lack of qualified service techs as well as people that understand what a career is versus a paycheck. I am the same age as Chuck and deal with the issue on a daily basis. I work in industrial roofing and our workforce is aging fast, last statistic I saw said that average commercial roofer is 54 years old that is brutal, roofing is a very physical job and 54 year old bodies that have been doing it for 30 plus years are falling apart, we need younger people but not many are attracted to the profession. I suspect RV technicians are similar, along with many other "hands on" professions.

Just a few of my opinions...

Aaron
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 04:53 AM   #10
JRTJH
Site Team

Another major factor that affects the RV industry is the season status of the business. In most parts of the country, RVing is a "summer industry". When you consider that during the winter months, most RV dealerships sit idle and in the summer months they are "swamped" with customers, all of which want their RV fixed "today"......

Building a million dollar service facility, paying "good, qualified" service techs a decent salary, then laying off a part of the workforce in November, paying unemployment, having the building investment sit "idle" while there are no customers (and no profit to pay the mortgage) while still paying unemployment, makes for a "difficult sell" to most any banker.

Around here, most RV dealerships close in November and don't even unlock the parts department door until May. That makes the business a 6 month profit loss before the first customer's rig is serviced. Trying to find "good, qualified" employees who are willing to work 6 months and be laid off for 6 months is a "hard sell" as well.

It's not just about "I want good service" from a customer's perspective, but it's got to be about, "Can I make a profit and stay in business" from the dealer's perspective also.

So, in some parts of the US (and I suppose Canada) dealerships can "keep the doors open all year", but in many other places, not only can't they make a profit during the "off season" but they can't even unlock the doors. There are simply "NO CUSTOMERS" to pay even the light bill.

I wouldn't want to try to raise a family by being employed for 6 months and I don't think many "dedicated to doing a good job with a good work ethic" people would get themselves in that kind of "financial crisis" willingly. They simply tend to migrate to a full time, full year paycheck in order to pay the bills and buy their families what they need to keep moving forward.

Think about closing the doors on your income for even 3 months a year. Would you want to keep working there when you could move "next door" and get 52 weekly checks? Most people who "want to work" would leave the RV industry if it were seasonal where they live. I'm supposing you would too.....

So, no profits, no work force, liabilities of unemployment and still having to pay the mortgage????? Who in their right mind would build a "come one come all" year round multimillion dollar business under those conditions?

And you wonder why RV dealerships north of the "frost line" don't just "add more service bays and hire more people" ??? I wouldn't put my "eggs in that basket" either.......

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 06:21 AM   #11
gearhead

John, no way I would want to invest dollars in a business that I had to close for 6 months. But, 3 weeks ago I stayed at a relatively new hotel that had 11 guests on 4 floors. The bartender said it was packed from spring break until September. Living as far south as I do I'm just not used to processing the on/off seasonal thing. I asked a service rep at my infamous RV dealer if they ever slowed down..."yes, we're slow on Christmas day, when we close".
I guess it's a combination of all the factors we have kicked around.
Old 12-31-2014, 06:42 AM   #12
byrdr1

Here in central NC we have two major dealerships. one is CW the other an independent. The CW service lot is full with the units they sale and all others getting service work whether is warranty or otherwise. The independent is never full.. ?????
My SonIL bought a camper from ohio and uses the CW for warranty work. The first week his control panel died. it was replaced, he had a warped inside table, the outside kitchen door was installed wrong and had to be totally replaced. the front cap faded and was just repainted by an auto shop. it been at the dealership lot more than in their yard. Its been at the dealership since the first week in december for the front cap. its still there(or body shop)because Keystone only sent half the decals to finish the job. the fender skirts have been replaced twice. first with wrong color then again to get the silver back on like original. I will say CW has treated him pretty well considering he bought elsewhere. He knows he takes a back seat to the purchased it there crowd. BUT still it has sat on CW's repair lot more than his driveway.. SO who knows.
I have had two issues with recalls with my camper and have had that taken care of right away with my purchasing dealer. NOW I have had to do some major remodeling in side due to my stupidness but I have to tools and basic knowledge to handle most of my issues. LUCKY ME!
SO I can understand the north of the frost line crowd and understand that thinking.
Just no real answers. Chuck thanks for being an honest service tech. Maybe when I retire I can be a help. Never mind I will to old to do anything then..crawling around on my knees is killer now.. I can't imagine 7-10 years from now.
randy

Randy "Camp On"
2011 Cougar 327RES
2014 Ford F-350, 6.7L 4X4, CC, SRW
byrdr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 07:18 AM   #13
Rex1vt

RV Service

We purchased a Keystone Cougar 327RES 4/29/2014 at Camping World ,Dover,Florida and have had great service,the problem is the product.We traveled 5000 miles round trip June - Sept and warranty issues that came up enroute resulted in Keystone dealers who were willing to schedule us but the schedules were generally a month away, in other words no help.Problems included failed remote,cracked grey tank,slide delamination,slide mechanism,cap fade.We had to live with the issues as we traveled whether they were critical or not.The down time in total has been about four months,the last being Sept 11-Dec 23 for all items except the remote.We picked up the unit Dec 23 and while traveling approximately, 20 miles to our home experienced a "China Bomb" tire failure so in the process of installation of four new Maxxis M8008, plus spare. We are holding our breath regarding the touch control panel ,waiting for that shoe to drop.Keytsone has covered the warranty issues, excluding the tires, but we
would be happier to have a quality product in the first place. We know about the old saying you get what you pay for but I am not so sure in this case.
Rex1vt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 07:18 AM   #14
JRTJH
Site Team

Randy,

Like you, I'm simply not physically able to crawl around on my hands and knees like I did years ago. And, to be honest, I don't want to do that, even for myself anymore, and certainly not to make a paycheck that I don't really need and would have to pay taxes on as well. So, I'll do my own RV maintenance and leave the rest to whomever the dealership can find in the unemployment line that is willing to work, often for less than welfare benefits.... <another restraint on finding people willing to work>.

Up here, CW is open with two different schedules. Summers the service department is open from 7AM to 6PM Mon-Sat and closed on Sun. Parts is 8-8 7 days a week. Winter hours, service is open Mon-Fri 9-4 and parts is 9-4 Mon-Sat. The remaining RV dealerships, from Onaway, Traverse City, Harbor Springs, Cadillac and Waters are simply closed from November until the week before Memorial Day. Some of them do have a storage yard and will unlock the gate to let you get your RV, but you have to pay for snow removal to get it out of the lot.

When we lived in Louisiana, most RV dealerships were open throughout the year, but even then, the winter months were much easier to get a service appointment. Summer months were booked weeks in advance for any maintenance work. A very good friend of mine ran CENLA Camping Center in Alexandria. He was in his 70's at that time and when I bought our HR from him, he told me to pretty much forget bringing it in in the summer, but that he would work me in almost anytime during the winter. I scheduled all of my warranty work and maintenance work during the times his crew were less busy. I do believe that they focused on doing a good job all the time, but when units were stacking up "out back" and customers were complaining that "you promised I would have it back today", they started pushing units out by doing "ONLY WHAT WAS ORDERED" and not paying as much attention to "take care of the customer" extras... So, even in the "deep south" where dealerships are open "all the time", service (at least for me) seemed to be much more personalized and more care given when the crew wasn't pushed to "hurry up"...

As for Keystone sending the wrong parts, not responding quickly to parts requests, etc. A lot of that has to do with how the dealership corresponds the needed parts requests. A good parts man is worth his weight in gold. A "send me fender skirts for a 2014 Prowler" (without even looking at the trailer) parts guy can sink a service department with any manufacturer. Keystone can only send what they are requested based on the information from the dealer's request. If they don't request it correctly, you know what the outcome will be.

Sure, Keystone has their share of "issues and problems" but it's certainly not just "Keystone" especially when you read the other manufacturer's forums and hear exactly the same complaints. Even on the CW forum (RVNet) you'll read the same complaints as you read here. That forum represents every RV manufacturer from A to Z. Well from Airstream to Zinger.......

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 12-31-2014, 07:40 AM   #15
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rex1vt View Post
We purchased a Keystone Cougar 327RES 4/29/2014 at Camping World ,Dover,Florida and have had great service,the problem is the product.We traveled 5000 miles round trip June - Sept and warranty issues that came up enroute resulted in Keystone dealers who were willing to schedule us but the schedules were generally a month away, in other words no help.Problems included failed remote,cracked grey tank,slide delamination,slide mechanism,cap fade.We had to live with the issues as we traveled whether they were critical or not.The down time in total has been about four months,the last being Sept 11-Dec 23 for all items except the remote.We picked up the unit Dec 23 and while traveling approximately, 20 miles to our home experienced a "China Bomb" tire failure so in the process of installation of four new Maxxis M8008, plus spare. We are holding our breath regarding the touch control panel ,waiting for that shoe to drop.Keytsone has covered the warranty issues, excluding the tires, but we
would be happier to have a quality product in the first place. We know about the old saying you get what you pay for but I am not so sure in this case.
Our experience with our 2014 Cougar is just the opposite of yours. We bought it in July 2013, left in August for a 6500 mile trip. No problems at all. We did have an air conditioner issue (Dometic replaced the rooftop unit) and a remote control problem (Lippert replaced the RC unit) I sort of think the remote problem was related to the A/C issue since they happened within a week of each other. Possibly a surge/spike/low voltage problem ???

Anyway, from my experiences, Cougar and Springdale have been "zero problem" RV's. I don't doubt your problems exist, and I do hope you get resolution as quickly as possible, but I think that based on the number of units produced annually and the number of "no problem" RV's that we hear are rolling down the interstates pulled by "satisfied owners, those who do have significant problems remain in the minority.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 12-31-2014, 08:03 AM   #16
chuckster57
Site Team

As to wrong parts: Keystone does a much better job than some. I have recieved the wrong decals 3 times now from (won't say) even with pictures submitted.

As the public demands more features and less weight, what appears to be low quality is in fact trying to meet new standards. Wall panels are thinner, exterior walls are vacum bonded and voids filled with styrofoam. When I work on new units I find myself regulating the air so my nail gun barely fires and doesn't blow through the panel I'm trying to secure.

I DONT need to work, but I enjoy it...

Old 12-31-2014, 09:42 PM   #17
theeyres

Good dealerships get the job done. They put the pressure on Keystone, or whoever, to get what they need to provide great customer service. The big problem is that Keystone and all other manufacturer's seem unwilling to cut loose the bad dealer. I've seen it personally where the man. had to come pick up a trailer of mine, take it back to the plant and fix a faulty fix of the dealer. Did they fire the dealer? No. They still let the lousy dealer sell, sell, sell. I honestly don't know how the problem will be fixed.

2007 33.5' Arctic Fox Fifth Wheel used for full-timing for several years--now sold
2011 Hideout 23RKSWE that we now use for poking around local parks
2007 Chevy 3/4 ton diesel with Prodigy Brake Control
theeyres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 07:53 AM   #18
filmtex
Permanent User Ban

Quote:

I have absolutely NOT seen that to be the case with Toyota dealers and I have taken our two Tundra's to dealers in Texas and California. Even though it was a free service- I ALWAYS receive nothing but the best service. Just my 2 cents...
filmtex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 06:46 AM   #19
Grolli

Quote:

Amen to this. Same at our dealership.
Old 01-08-2015, 11:45 AM   #20
mark1228

There are lots of reasons for the level of service you receive in the RV business.

1.) Seasonality- We simply don't have enough techs in season to handle the volume and we can't keep them busy in the off season so they don't stay in the industry

2.) Most RV manufacturers don't carry a large parts inventory to supply dealers. Plain and simple. Keystone is one of the best here. Many times when a dealer orders parts the manufacturer of the trailer then has to order it from their supplier. Often times it has to manufactured. This really takes lead times out

3.) Warranty- It simply is a money loser for the dealer. I currently own a dealership and I'm sorry but we don't do any warranty work on units we don't sell. It's not that we are mad at the customer for not purchasing from us, it's that we don't make any money on warranty work. We are running a for profit business and have backlogs for our shop so it really does not make sense to put a tech on a warranty job when that same time could be used billing out regular time to a paying customer. I know many of you won't like this answer, but it's the truth.

4.) The manufacturers don't care- They really don't or they wouldn't sign up dealers that have not shop or technicians, yet all of them do it.
mark1228 is offline   Reply With Quote