Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone RV Customer Comments > Keystone RV Service & Warranty Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 02-14-2012, 08:11 PM   #21
RVUSA

a long shot at best. The tears are right next to the welds, and that indicates weakened and corroded metal caused from the welding and then not properly protecting the metal afterwards. A competent welding shop should be able to verify that, and it could give you an edge in trying to renegotiate.
RVUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 08:32 PM   #22
CampDestinations.com

Wow - I just dropped by the forums to see if there were any posts about mounting a bike rack on the bumper. Was hoping to be able to do that with the camping season just around the corner now. SOOOOO glad I saw your post, but very sorry you had this experience.
Old 06-04-2012, 01:42 PM   #23
Big Boy w/ Big Toys

I am sure you had it repaired by now, but I wanted to point something out that I seen in your pic, although not very clear but shows, is it appears that there is rust on the upper part of the tear with the picture that has the spare tire in the background. Which to me the spare tire may have started this whole process.

I have seen the similar thing happen to motorhomes except that the tubes that extend out from the main frame to hold the rear bumper tear, crush, or bend. Have done many a repair on them. Dealers here in Alaska always blame the roads but from experience I would never attach any trailer or bike rack to the rear bumpers of alot of the newer motorhomes. I even seen one where the dealer had welded a class III to these extension tubes causing the same failure as if they had used the bumper.
Big Boy w/ Big Toys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 06:49 PM   #24
wgb1

Not sure what your bumper is like, but I would never put any additional weight on the bumper of my Bullet. It appears to made of such cheap, thin metal. The dealer even suggested I not carry my stinky slinky in it because the moisture would cause it to rust through in short order.

2011 Keystone Bullet 246RBS
2000 Chevrolet Silverado
wgb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 06:53 AM   #25
beer breath

Were these bike racks mounted to the bumper itself? My 2013 Sydney has a factory welded receiver back there and it is marketed as a bike receiver. I haven't used it yet, but it was a factor in choosing this model of trailer.

-Matt
beer breath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 08:04 AM   #26
Outbackmel

Check "therink"post closely

I have the same 5er he has. Did almost exactly what he did and have excellent results. Keys are: correct bike rack, non hanging, bouncy bounce, like with crades for the wheels; REMOVE the heavy spare and carry it someplace else; tie down straps to reduce see-saw movement. All good. I only carry 2 bikes and the 3rd, I disassemble the front wheel and stow the bike sometimes in the truck bed or if a long, long trip, in a forward underbelly compartment.

Most important: NEVER do anything until your warranty has expired or you will get sand kicked in your face by the factory.

Lastly, "upgrade?" really...in the $30,000 range, really?! Think they are any different? Go out and ask campers you meet; Jayco, Open Range, etc... man made and made to cut costs. You WILL have some issues. Count on it. Ever go to a MAJOR RV center? See all of the $300,000 coaches in the shop?! Point is, it ain't always about money.
Outbackmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 04:48 PM   #27
Brantlaker

Thumbs down Rear bumper failure

I just joined the club!!! when I put the cap back on the water tank drain is saw that the bumper was cracked by the welds both left and right side. called the Service Manager at my Dealer he told me to send pictures to him that this new to him.The pictures were sent. I have to drive past the dealer in the morning and will stop by to see what is up.will keep you informed.Great timing leaving on a trip on Sunday for the week.Will remove the spare tire and carry it in the truck.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01143.jpg
Views:	259
Size:	87.8 KB
ID:	1812   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01140.jpg
Views:	237
Size:	90.5 KB
ID:	1813  

2012 Cougar 318SAB
2015 F350 SWD 4X4 3.55 Rear
Brantlaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 03:59 AM   #28
Bob Landry

My Outback came with a "bike" receiver hitch that was bolted to the frame. I checked with Keystone and was told that it only supported #200, not enough to hang a carrier of any type on IMO. I removed it and had the welding shop use that space to weld reinforcement to the bumper. I have a spare and an aluminum storage box mounted to the bumper. The box carries an air compressor, shore power cords, hoses, wooden pads, chocks, etc. I check it every trip and have found no issues. The entire cost was around $200.
Bob Landry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 05:32 AM   #29
beer breath

The new ones are welded to the bumper bottom and to a rear cross brace. It looks sturdy but has a decal stating not to exceed 150lbs. I am going to use it and fight it out with my dealer if it fails.

-Matt
2013 Sydney 340FBH
beer breath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 05:25 AM   #30
wtxdxer

Hello All,

New member here. I'm scheduled to pickup up my new 2012 26SAB tomorrow afternoon. I've been a bit concerned after reading this thread.

I just did a search and found Keystone has done a recall on 2010-2012 Cougar 26SAB and 29RES models to reinforce the bumper.

Here is the recall info: http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/recalls...rue&refurl=rss

It's not posted on the Keystone website.

Regards,

Alan
wtxdxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 07:37 AM   #31
rrohrer

Sorry to hear about your troubles. I was gonna put a bike rack on my bumper- cause I see lots of other camper with them on. I had no idea until investigating a little that most of the rv bumpers aren't really made for it. I could have easily experienced the same thing. Only way I knew was browsing these forums. It might be somewhere in the manual, but I can't say I read the whole thing.
Old 09-18-2012, 12:46 AM   #32
Bushman512000

do a small rebuild before needed

Hope You get it done before it breaks...I did ...SEE...I carry a Honda Gen.a 3000 heavy but the best money can buy in My mind.but can if wanted handle a few bikes no problem My set up up grade mod Max $100.00 +time ....The Bushman
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF1305.jpg
Views:	291
Size:	92.3 KB
ID:	1820   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF1306.jpg
Views:	273
Size:	83.3 KB
ID:	1821   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF1307.jpg
Views:	287
Size:	90.4 KB
ID:	1822   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF1308.jpg
Views:	276
Size:	90.7 KB
ID:	1823   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF1309.jpg
Views:	271
Size:	93.8 KB
ID:	1824  

Bushman512000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 06:28 AM   #33
Brantlaker

Thumbs down Rear bumper failure

Every one with a rear bumper weld or spare tire mount problem should CALL Keystone at 866-425-4369, ask for Julie Stomp and tell her about your problem. They do not realize how big a problem there is if we just fix-it ourselves. We need to let them know!!!!! Most of us like our Keystone RV's but they need to know that we are unhappy. The poor engineering of this system is making us (the customer) unhappy.

2012 Cougar 318SAB
Old 10-18-2012, 05:26 PM   #34
Brantlaker

Rear bumper failure

I just picked up my new bumper from the dealer (Alpin Haus, Saratoga,NY).A new bumper was welded on with support gussets on the sides and bottom.The dealer is still going round and round about the repair they only want to pay for the new bumper to be welded on with no supports.I am leaving next week to store the 5W in South Carolina for the winter (on the Georgia line) about 1200 miles so we will see if it holds.Keeping my fingers crossed. I modified the spare tire mount so the tire is above the bottom of the bumper and replaced the carriage bolts with standard bolts and lock nuts.

2012 Cougar 318SAB
Old 10-18-2012, 06:14 PM   #35
Russ26SAB

Never a keystone again

I have just went round and round with CS dept because they said I put a bike rack on it, And that's why it failed..I fixed and reinforced it to hold the tire and a bike rack. this was Before the recall so they said your out of luck. Owners manual is not clearly written on a bike racks. Prev TT was clear as to how much weight to put on bumper ( sunline), but Keystone is to cheap to put it in the book. Next 5er will not be a keystone product. There are better company's out there to deal with that will have a better customer service dept. I'm out 500.00 dollars but lesson learned. I will make sure I post this on all site possible..

2012 cougar XLite 26SAB
16K Sidewinder
2011 Ford F150 Larait Super Crew 5.5 bed
(ECO Boost
Russ26SAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 12:54 PM   #36
Little Guy

Rear bumper failures

Hi Everyone!
After reading all of the comments regarding the bumper problems, I went to my welder and had him beef up the rear bumper with two cross braces (frame to frame). He then added an 18" long receiver hitch to the cross braces and welded it onto the underside of the bumper. I feel that I can add a bike rack now and not have similar issues. Maybe it was a little overkill, but for less than $200 I now have piece of mind.
2012 Laredo 294RK TT "Larry"
'09 Chevy 2500HD Crewcab, 6.0L vortec (gas)
*Wishin' for a diesel*
Equal-I-Zer sway control hitch

Life is good!
Little Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 01:52 PM   #37
Russ26SAB

Bumper

I called lippard the frame maker and they said if they didn't install it to the frame then it would void the warranty

2012 cougar XLite 26SAB
16K Sidewinder
2011 Ford F150 Larait Super Crew 5.5 bed
(ECO Boost
Russ26SAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 07:57 AM   #38
35mastr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Guy View Post
Hi Everyone!
After reading all of the comments regarding the bumper problems, I went to my welder and had him beef up the rear bumper with two cross braces (frame to frame). He then added an 18" long receiver hitch to the cross braces and welded it onto the underside of the bumper. I feel that I can add a bike rack now and not have similar issues. Maybe it was a little overkill, but for less than $200 I now have piece of mind.
Do you have pics? I want to do the same.
[B]Honda 3000IS
35mastr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 07:05 PM   #39
MovinMal

Bumper problems, me too!

I bought a 2011 Cougar 26SAB in June 2011. My bumper, with only the spare on it, tore most of the way off in Jan 2012 so it was still under warranty. I was in the boonies and wouldn't tow it 100 miles to nearest authorized dealer as my sales dealer wanted. I took it to a local shop that not only repaired the bumper but also welded 4" x 4" angle iron on the sides for $80 for all. I was reimbursed by Keystone quickly after I sent them detailed pics. Mine also had rust across the top and down the sides. I went around with Keystone and my dealer about it being bad design which went nowhere until I received a safety recall from Keystone about the bumper a week ago. Since then the top welds have broken again but the angle irons hold it up even with the spare on it. I have had some problem almost every trip but I fix most of them myself since "good as new" isn't good. Something else to watch are the wheel well skirts. They are fastened with sheet metal screws thru 2 layers of plastic. One tore part way off on the interstate and was flapping wildly. Even tho it was 2 months out of warranty Keystone replaced it free and I installed it with with bolts, washers, and lock nuts. I am sorry that anyone heading out to have fun and relax has to deal with trailer problems but you aren't alone, there are similar problems with most other brands according to others I've talked to on the road.
MovinMal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 01:44 PM   #40
mark1228

I am sorry for the failure but I guess I don't understand why you would expect warranty to cover a 2010 RV...
mark1228 is offline   Reply With Quote