Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Modifications and Upgrades
Click Here to Login

Old 03-05-2024, 05:41 PM   #1
Goliath-goes

Rv washer

We have a 2020 keystone 381th with washer and dryer installed. All was working well till washer died from blown mother board. My question is can I replace this washer with residential ge with same dimensions as the splendid? I’d still stack since this residential is listed as stackable. My question would be about a different power demand potentially or would it do fine. I’ve read both sides of fence on other forums thought I’d ask here. Thank you all in advance
Goliath-goes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2024, 04:02 AM   #2
notanlines

I can see no problem electric-wise that would cause you to avoid the switch. However, the one thing that may sway your decision is the water usage of a standard washer versus the usage of your RV model, even in water-saver mode.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2024, 08:21 AM   #3
LadyCPA

Washer and Dryer

I would like to piggyback on this post. WH and I will be moving to full time living in our toy hauler this fall. We have the 13 foot garage, so WH has graciously granted some space there for a stacking washer and dryer.
I prefer residential and understand that they require more water, but the plan is to do laundry only at campgrounds with full hookups.
Suggestions on brands, makes, models or other items to be considered before we make the purchase would be appreciated, we only want to go through this aggravation once. I am not a bells and whistle kind of person. Just the basics, wash dry... no sanitize, extra cycle electronic stuff.

Thanks for the input.
Columbia SC
LadyCPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2024, 09:41 AM   #4
Goliath-goes

Thank you for the responses we too rarely boondock usually overnight during travel day only utilize washer when hooked to full hookups. My concern was the power requirements. We will be full timers in few months. Thanks again
Old 03-06-2024, 12:42 PM   #5
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyCPA View Post
I would like to piggyback on this post. WH and I will be moving to full time living in our toy hauler this fall. We have the 13 foot garage, so WH has graciously granted some space there for a stacking washer and dryer.
I prefer residential and understand that they require more water, but the plan is to do laundry only at campgrounds with full hookups.
Suggestions on brands, makes, models or other items to be considered before we make the purchase would be appreciated, we only want to go through this aggravation once. I am not a bells and whistle kind of person. Just the basics, wash dry... no sanitize, extra cycle electronic stuff.

Thanks for the input.
Residential dryers are either 240V or natural gas. You could get an LP orifice but you would have to change some wiring for 240V. RV washer and dryer are 120VAC.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2024, 05:37 PM   #6
dutchmensport

If the new unit is electric 120 v and not 240, and the size fits, you should have no problems installing the new unit.

We have the Splendid stackable in our camper. Granted the loads have to be a bit smaller, but it's no problem at all. When the washing machine is full, we just flip it on run! Our washing machine is our cloths hamper. A normal load takes about 8 gallons of water. I've tracked it with a water meter.

In addition to watching the amount of water one of these washing machines use, you also need to be fully aware of how full your holding tanks gets too!

Before doing laundry, I always fill the fresh water tank. And before doing laundry, I always dump my grey tank, first. It's easy to forget how much water any washing machine actually uses and over fill your grey water tank. When it comes bubbling up in the shower the first time .... you never forget again!
Old 03-07-2024, 09:14 AM   #7
Goliath-goes

Rv washer.

Thank you all again. We only do laundry when on full hook ups and because our black tank has its own drain separate from grey tanks we just leave gray tank valve open at all times
Old 03-07-2024, 10:16 AM   #8
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goliath-goes View Post
Thank you all again. We only do laundry when on full hook ups and because our black tank has its own drain separate from grey tanks we just leave gray tank valve open at all times
Not a good idea. Soap scum,hair and food particles can/will build up causing a much bigger issue. I’ve seen it first hand.

Leave valves closed until the need to dump. Or only while operating the washer.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2024, 01:40 PM   #9
Goliath-goes

Rv washer

Ok thanks for heads up. Thanks for the reply about the dryer being 240. I was aware of that but fortunately we are only concerned with the washer because ours died. Dryer runs fine. Thanks again
Old 03-08-2024, 09:17 AM   #10
Camping family

Don’t see any problem as long as it fits. About the gray tank while doing laundry we open the gray tank and leave it open while running the washer. Once done close it like has been mentioned above you do not want to leave any of your tanks open all the time. It will cause problems for sure.
2021 3761 fl Montana 5th wheel
Pulled with a 2022 F350 King Ranch
Retired LEO after 35 years just enjoying life now.
Camping family is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
washer