Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Keystone Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 09-06-2009, 05:20 AM   #1
pak391

Angry Swaying Issues

We had our Keystone Springdale camper for about 5 years..It Was a 29 foot with pullout..We did love this camper intill Sept 4th of this year..We were pulling our camper to a family reunion when this time we noticed it was swaying alot..We pulled over to a rest stop to check everything out and all seemed ok..We continued on our journey traveling about 62 on a 65 highway..When the trailer got a mind of its own and starting swaying uncontrollably..Luckily my husband is a professional driver for a fire dept he kept us from going off the left side of the highway and flipping over..We did end up on the right side on our side with the back of the truck in the camper..We got real lucky and walked away with just some bruise and cuts..Anyone know of any towing isses out there that Keystone is not revealing..I would like folks to know so noone is seriously injured or killed..Thank you
pak391 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 05:46 AM   #2
Flyguy

Need more info on this incident; What type of hitch were you using (brand)? What type of sway control device? Did something fail on the trailer's frame (broken weld, etc etc)? Did a tire blow and cause the sway? Were you towing with a trailer whose axles were out of alignment (you would have seen unusual tire wear patterns)? Did you maintain proper air pressure in the tires (50psi for load range C, 65psi for load range D)? All of the ST tires that I know of are speed rated for only 65mph but only if proper tire pressure is maintained. All of these things can lead to excessive trailer sway.
Timbrens
Flyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 10:43 AM   #3
Umpie007

i agree with flyguy. i think you either have a tire that is really low on air, although if a spring shackle broke from the frame, that will cause alot of sway also. just look really carefully around the welds on all shackles and look carefully around the equalizer for a crack or break on it and the hanger for the equalizers. if i was a gambling man i would bet one of these two things are your problems....tire pressure on one of the tires or a broke shackle or equalizer hanger. broke hangers and shackles are common on campers.

erin

2006 Chevy Duramax 2500HD, PPE Power Programmer, Pyrometer and Boost Guages, Custom Exhaust with LB7 Downpipe, EGR Block, PCV Reroute, Transgo-Jr Allison Transmission Kit, Cold Air Mod to Factory Air Box, Firestone Ride-Rite Airbags, Prodigy Brake Controller, B&W Turnover Ball with B&W Companion Hitch
Umpie007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 06:14 AM   #4
pak391

Question sway

As far as the hitch and sway control we were told from the dealer the ones we got from them were top of the line..I know it was real heavy duty...The tire pressure was ok and no known wear on tires..we check that everytime we tow even the truck tires are checked...We had just pulled 3 weeks ago without any issue that is why we just dont understand what went wrong..The camper is at a autobody shop now we cant look at it to far away..It had to be put on a flatbed was not even towable...I would like to thank you for your insight it is helpful...
pak391 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 08:05 AM   #5
sbebenelli

When a trailer starts swaying like you mention applying the electric brakes manually at the controller almost immediately will stop the sway.
sbebenelli is offline   Reply With Quote