Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Keystone Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 09-22-2012, 10:17 AM   #1
rogernh

Hot Water Heater

Can anybody tell me how to turn on the water heater in a 2003 276 Cougar.Sounds sill but I can find no switch.
Thanks
rogernh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 10:36 AM   #2
Festus2
Site Team

rogernh -
I am assuming you are referring to the 110v electrical side of the HW heater. If you look inside the exterior access door to the HW heater and look at the bottom, LH corner, you should see a small, black rocker switch. It may or may not be held in place by a cotter pin. This switch is an outside ON/OFF control for the electricity to the heater.
The switch may be in the OFF position. If it is, turn it to the ON position. Just make sure that you have water in the tank before heating it with either electricity or propane.
If there is no rocker switch inside this panel, try looking at the back of the heater. To do this, you may have to remove a panel to get access to it. In some cases, there is a switch positioned on the backside.
Let us know how you make out.
Old 09-22-2012, 01:52 PM   #3
rogernh

Festus
Thanks but I am talking about the gas side. There are two switches labled holding tank heaters, could they be the hot water heater?
Thanks
Roger
rogernh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 02:04 PM   #4
billstuart

Ours is mounted with the tank monitor and several other switches behind the closet doors next to the entry. The water heater switch is a lighted (red) toggle. Hope this helps.

Happy trails,
Andersen Ultimate 5th Wheel Connection

Previous RV's:
1992 Prowler 35' Bunkhouse
1986 Fireball 30'
1978 Nomad 24'
1963 Kenskill 19.5'
1972 Dyna Cruiser Camper on '72 F-250
A Tent
billstuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 04:47 PM   #5
Ron

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogernh View Post
Festus
Thanks but I am talking about the gas side. There are two switches labled holding tank heaters, could they be the hot water heater?
Thanks
Roger
Roger: The holding tank heater switches you are seeing are actually electric heat pads under the holding tanks so they do not freeze up in winter months if they are being used, as far as the gas side of the wh as the above post said there will be a lighted rocker switch that should light up when the wh lights. I think your trailer has gas only wh, hope this helps. Happy Campin..........Ron
01 F350 7.3 PSD Crew Cab DRW 4X4 6 Speed/Chipped

Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 03:50 PM   #6
Dexter

Hot Water Heater

Hi All,

I'm having a similar problem. I recently purchased a new to me 2008 Springdale 260 Bunk House. The previous owner told me there was no rocker switch for the hot water tank to electrically turn it on/off - that it has to be lit at the unit. Is this true? My 2002 Trail Lite Hybrid had a switch, why wouldn't something 6 years newer have one? I have done a quick search of the trailer and can not locate it. Thanks for any insight you can provide.

D
Old 03-27-2014, 04:14 PM   #7
JRTJH
Site Team

The Springdale line is an entry level RV model and in past years had few of the "frills" of more expensive RV's. It is very likely that your RV only had a "pilot light water heater" as original equipment, or it is quite possible that the original water heater failed and the previous owner opted to install the least expensive water heater he could find, which would be one without DSI or electric heater options.

The current price difference is quite large. Manual water heater with a standing pilot light are about $250 and a DSI model with electric element is around $450.

If you look at the current Springdale offerings, the price is climbing higher every year. Although they are still built with wooden frames and aluminum siding, they now come with many of the offerings of more expensive models such as air conditioning, DSI/electric water heater, range hood with vent, LCD TV, stereo with multiple speakers, outside awning and radial tires. In earlier years these were left to the purchaser to provide after the sale.

The use of "no option options" or "mandatory option packages" creates a more standard RV assembly line environment and increases the profitability for the manufacturer, something that Keystone is very good at doing.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote