Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Keystone Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 11-16-2011, 08:49 PM   #1
kingji

Heater ignition failure

I had a little trouble getting my heater to light a few days ago. The fan would kick on and run about 20 seconds and shut off without the fire lighting. I had refilled one of my bottles but I purged it through the stove and water heater. It took about 10 attempts before it actually fired up. I didn't have any more failures during this time. The next day it took another 5-6 attempts before the fire lit. The batteries were completly charged also. Any idea what the problem might be. This is on my 2011 28' Springdale fifth wheel.
Thanks
Jimmy

PS. my solar set up and inverter install work great over a six day outing.
kingji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 09:02 PM   #2
Ron

Sounds like a sail switch failure or curcuit board problem. In the owners manuel should give you a break down of parts. If you don't have manuel, just google the make and model and you will find it there. The sail switch is moved forward by the air movement which makes electrical contact to ignite the burner. Good Luck. Happy Campin...................Ron
01 F350 7.3 PSD Crew Cab DRW 4X4 6 Speed/Chipped

Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 06:57 AM   #3
JRTJH
Site Team

Sometimes carbon can build up on the igniter element and foul it out. Look in your owner's manual under cleaning and read up on how to take it apart and clean the igniter. It might not be that, but I'd start there and then work up. If you do need to buy a new circuit board, look at Dinosaur boards, they cost about the same as factory boards but are built to be more weather resistant and seem (at least to me) to be more durable.

I'd guess, if you had a purge problem, that it's a fouled igniter.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 02:46 PM   #4
28Bunkhouse

I had the same problem with mu 28 ft Springdale this summer, I took it to the dealer twice. First time the said they changerd the ignitor, I drove it to my residence 567 Km away and discovered the same problem. Yelled and screamed at dealer and got clearence to take it to dealer nearby. This dealer changed the ignitor wire(which was burned) replaced the circuit board and fixed a leaky gasket. Works great now.

2011 Springdale 281

2003.5 Ram 2500 5.9 Cummins

Rear air bag assist

Northern British Columbia, Canada
28Bunkhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 04:52 PM   #5
kingji

Ignition Fail

Thanks for the suggestions. I'm going to try it again tomorrow while winterizing and see what happens. Seems like the problem was getting less as my outing went by.
Again, Thanks
Old 11-18-2011, 04:52 PM   #6
kingji

Ignition Failure

I was out blowing the water out of my lines this evening and kicked the heater on. Came on like it should. I have two options now, lever "A" or lever "B". I think I'll opt for the second.
JK
Old 11-18-2011, 07:34 PM   #7
JRTJH
Site Team

If it ain't broke, don't fix it....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 07:18 PM   #8
B_Harten

2012 Cougar 27 Foot

I just had this issue happen with my 2012.
This weekend was our third time in the unit. Under an unheated barn we just built on our recreational property, but out of the elements. -12F outside most of the weekend.

When we first arrived Friday evening, I tried to get the furnace to light for 3 or 4 cycles. I could smell propane coming out of the exterior exhaust, and hear the ignitor clicking, but the furnace would not ignite.
Per the furnace manual's directions, I shut off the propane. Cycled the furnace with no propane. Waited 5 minutes, then turned the propane back again and switched the furnace on. It ignited this time, and for the next two days had no problem and it kept us toasty warm (with help from our Wave8 catalytic heater).

It failed to light this morning as we were getting ready to pack up.

In the manual it says that an improperly aligned ignitor could be causing inconsistent ignition. I was wondering if maybe we had some carbon on the ignitor, but the last two days should have burned it off.

What do you think?

Bring it back to the dealer, or try it one more weekend?
B_Harten is offline   Reply With Quote