Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Keystone Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 09-26-2010, 04:52 AM   #1
Ruffus

Red face Heater Recycles

Our heater in our 2010 5ver puts out good heat but it cycles every few minutes. It will come on raise the temp a couple degrees then shut down. A few minutes later it does the same thing. Is then normal with these new systems or should it be running for longer periods?
Jim B
Curt Q24 hitch for in bed puck system
Fulltimng.
Ruffus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 08:19 AM   #2
Jim W

Did you replace the thermostat or is this the original unit that came with the camper? If this is the orignal were is it located? On an interior wall or is it on an outside wall? This will effect on how the thermostat works.

I usually have found that the set points may not be far enough apart. What I mean is that the temperature may be set at 70F and the low point to turn the heater on may be at 69F. This will cause the unit to cycle on and off, as the camper warms up and then cools off quickly. I think the set points need to be at least two if not three degrees apart to prevent cycling.

Another issue is the thermostat maybe located in cold area or there is a draft that is cooling down the thermostat quickly.

You will need to check to see if this is happening.
Jim
Jim W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 09:13 AM   #3
Ruffus

Heater Cycling

Hi Jim
This is the original thermostat. It's located on an interior wall but close to a heater vent. I covered the vent today to see if it made a difference which it did not. It works good for a few minutes then shuts off. Several minutes later it comes back on. I was wondering if the propane regulator had anything to do with it but I'm a mind that the thermostat location may have something to do with it.
Jim B
Fulltimng.
Old 09-27-2010, 04:59 AM   #4
Jim W

Jim,
If it is the propane regulator this will effect the stove also. Turn on your stove and see if this will get up to a temperature like 350F. Or will the stove turn off from lack of pressure? If the stove stays lit and reaches the preset temperature then this is not the regulator.

You then have two choice that you can choose from.

One is too replace the thermostat with a programmable one. This will allow you to set the set points to turn on and off. Similar to a programmable one in your home. I believe there have been done. Several user that have done this with their campers.

The other choice is to try and adjust the current thermostat in the camper. I believe this is similar to the old fashion thermostat with the mercury switch in them. You will need to adjust the switch as to how it will turn off and turn on.

Good Luck
Jim
Jim W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 09:44 AM   #5
Ruffus

Talking Heater

Thanks Jim, I finally figured it out about 4:00 AM this morning. I woke up and it was 44 Degrees and rather chilly so I turned on the heat. The unit cycled for a few minutes and shut off. I got up and turned it higher and it came right back on so this told me that the unit wasn't shutting down because of gas or electrical problem. I cranked the thermostat up to 80 and went back to bed. After running for 20 minutes and realizing that I was starting to swet I got up and turned it down. I guess I just wasn't turning it up high enough, DAHHHHH!
Thanks again for the input.
Jim B
Fulltimng.