Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > General RV Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 10-24-2012, 04:34 PM   #1
maxx1963

shurflo water pump question

I have a shurflo model 4008-101-e65 water pump in my fuzion 362. The previous owner installed it. It looks to be a perfect install, Im thinking he had it done. Anyway, when I fill the fresh water tank and it gets to full, the water pump comes on(if i turn it on) and it will run for almost an hour then I can put more water in the tank. I know I have 2 fresh tanks does it fill one, then pump it into the other? and when it is done with that and you go to use it, it spits and spudders for a long time? I am not new to rving or fixing them, but any tips are appreciated. The pump has a 5 star rating on amazon, but it seems like a piece of crap to me.

2005 2500HD CCLB Duramax. LBZ mouthpiece, factory CAI mod, Diamond eye "quiet" downpipe back exhaust/ Reese elite under bed rail hitch
2008 Fuzion 362
2008 KFX 700
2007 Yamaha Wolverine(wife's)
2002 Suzuki LT-A50(daughter's)
1995 Yamaha G14 golf cart
maxx1963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 04:33 AM   #2
2011 keystone

If you pump runs for that long it sounds like you may have a leak some where.
Does it come on and off when you are not running water?
New TT 2014 j@%$O 32BHDS
2011 keystone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 11:32 AM   #3
maxx1963

no, it does not.
Pretty sure there is no leaks.

2005 2500HD CCLB Duramax. LBZ mouthpiece, factory CAI mod, Diamond eye "quiet" downpipe back exhaust/ Reese elite under bed rail hitch
2008 Fuzion 362
2008 KFX 700
Old 10-25-2012, 12:19 PM   #4
SteveC7010

If you suspect that the previous owner installed the pump himself, then the behavior you are reporting suggests that something is not right in the water system. My guess is that someone tried to "improve" the water system with less than sterling success.

Since you've got some experience with RV's, you will know that these pumps have a pressure switch in them which senses the system pressure and tells the pump when to turn on or off. Normal operation would be that you open a faucet and the pressure drops enough to trigger the pump which pulls water from the fresh water tank and pushes it out through the faucet. When you close the faucet, the pressure in the pipes rises switching off the pump. The whole pressure switch system is dependent on the plumbing system being closed so that pressure rises beyond the trigger point and the pump is shut off.

Your pump running for an hour suggests to me that something was hooked up incorrectly when the new pump was installed or, as I mentioned before, an attempt at "improving" something didn't work so well. Even with a typical two gallon accumulator tank, the pump should only run for a minute or two at most after shutting off a faucet.

The "spitting and sputtering" should not be happening either, but I suspect that something is draining some of the water from the piping.

This is one of those situations that we can only guess at from a distance. What needs to happen is that everything gets traced, tested, and verified for proper connection and function.

I am not sure how Keystone plumbs two fresh water tanks to the pump. And, I don't know if shut-off's or check valves are in there or not. With a single tank system, you've got a feed line from the tank to the pump. The pump feeds the rest of the system. The city water connection joins the system down stream from the pump so as not to back feed into the fresh water tank. Part of the closed system is a properly functioning check valve in the city water connection.

It is possible that the pump has a bad check valve or pressure switch or both. If you have another pump available to you, swapping out the pump would be the fastest way to determine if the pump or the system is at fault.

'11 Cougar 326MKS loaded with mods
'12 Ford F250 SuperCab 6.7 PowerStroke Diesel
Amateur Radio: KD2IAT (146.520) GMRS: WQPG808 (462.675 TPL 141.3)
SteveC7010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 05:04 PM   #5
f6bits

With two fresh water tanks, I can't think of a logical way they'd be connected that doesn't automatically equalize their levels. In other words, I don't think the pump is transferring from one tank to the other. The pump should be connected flowing *away* from the tank(s) toward your fixtures.

What happens after the pump stops pumping for that hour? Does it eventually come back on? If so, for how long?

2011 Passport 2590BH
2009 Ford F150 SuperCrew FX4 5.4L w/Max Tow
f6bits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 05:14 PM   #6
maxx1963

No, then it acts normal. But it spits and sputters when you use the faucets for a long time. Like maybe a day or so.

2008 Fuzion 362
2008 KFX 700