Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 08-07-2012, 10:02 PM   #1
rushgt

Fan in back of fridge

I have a 2011 281BHS Bullet, when sitting outside under the awning the fan always comes on and off for the fridge. I am guessing it is an air flow fan, but after it shuts off it only stays off for a little while (usually less than 1 minute). Is there a way to adjust this, or am I just stuck listening to this all the time. It seems like it is always running and I am worried about a few things such as killing my batteries when dry camping, and also with the fan on all the time could I have a problem with my fridge. I looked under the access panel outside the trailer, but can't even see a fan anywhere near the fridge. Thanks for the assistance!
Old 08-08-2012, 04:24 AM   #2
SteveC7010

We had an extensive discussion about this fan a few months back. (You can use the search feature to find all the details.)

In short, keep the fan clean to keep it quiet. It is just below the upper fridge vent on your slider.

It uses a thermistor to control itself which is NOT adjustable.

They use the fan because they can't put a roof vent on a slide.

And it is another small reason to add to the list to justify dual batteries for those of us who dry camp.

'11 Cougar 326MKS loaded with mods
'12 Ford F250 SuperCab 6.7 PowerStroke Diesel
Amateur Radio: KD2IAT (146.520) GMRS: WQPG808 (462.675 TPL 141.3)
SteveC7010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 06:43 AM   #3
JRTJH
Site Team

rushgt,

It looks like your refrigerator is not in the slide, but is on the curb siie under the awning. As Steve said, there is a fan mounted on the upper part of the refrigerator (above the exterior cooling grids) to help move cool air through the grids and help improve efficiency. This fan is connected to a thermostat that turns it on and off. There's not a lot of temperature tolerance on the thermister that controls the operation, so you'll probably see it turning on and off quiet frequently on hot days.

Years ago there were no cooling fans on the refrigerators, in fact, they pretty much evolved as a standard "option" on most Dometic models since the fan is needed when there is no top vent for the refrigerator (as in a slide). Since you have a top vent on your refrigerator, the fan is not really a requirement except in extremely hot weather. If you remove the outside lower vent, you'll see a red wire connected to the 12 VDC main terminal that has a fuse holder in it. Next time you hear the refrigerator fan running, take that fuse out and the fan should stop. You can try your refrigerator without the fan and it'll probably be just fine in temps less than 90 or so. As long as the refrigerator cools properly, you have the option to leave the fuse out. If you see it not staying cool or if the outside temps are going to be above 90 for an extended time, you can always put the fuse back in and the refer will operate normally.

Again, the fan is a newer option needed on refrigerators installed in slides with no top vent and isn't really a necessity for "conventionally installed" referigerators.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 09:09 PM   #4
rushgt

Thanks for the information. I feel silly about the discussion already posted. I really did search before asking my question, but obviously not good enough. Right now the weather is to hot for me to mess with the fan, but I might try either disconnecting the fuse, or adding a switch like discussed in the other posting. Thanks again for the help.