Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone RV Customer Comments > Keystone RV Service & Warranty Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 08-19-2014, 05:21 AM   #1
mwohlford

Exclamation Not very Happy with Keystone

Hello, My name is Martin W. and my wife and I recently purchased a 2015 Keystone SG 303. the day we looked at it in the lot it seemed fine but now we are discovering numerous problems with this model and in my eyes it is a reflection of the overall quality of all of Keystones products for the 2015 model year. we have drawers that were not properly aligned to the catches. we have sections of wallpaper starting to peel off or bubble, the design will not allow for the use of all electric service while in a park because between the AC, water heater, refrigerator, second refrigerator that is all electric and came standard I am using all 30 Amps and tripping breakers on the RV Parks connector 2 to 3 times a day I have finally solved this problem by putting my water hearer into gas mode only. We were supposed to have received a 50 amp model and all of keystones paperwork indicated this was a 50 Amp model but the connection is 30 AMP and so is the breaker in the box this is going to be rectified through the dealership that we purchased the RV from however it will cost us time and money to fix. just to get to the dealership and return to our current place of residence is going to cost about $400. in gas and 9 hours of driving time. this does not include the time it will take to transfer our items from one trailer to the other. the pro side the trailer pulls fine with my 1996 Dodge Ram 2500 8.0 liter V10.
It is my recommendation to avoid the Keystone 2015 model year trailers until they fix the quality of what is coming out of there factories. Oh how I wish the Japanese made travel trailers for sale in the US Im certain they would be less expensive and better quality.
mwohlford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 05:48 AM   #2
GaryWT

Wow, nice first post. Every now and again depending on the campground power we have to put the water heater on gas. Since it is one of ten I think it is the campground not the trailer. A few draws to be fixed and you are good to go. Hard to shut an entire year down for that.
GaryWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 06:52 AM   #3
theasphaltrv'er

Shame on Keystone for putting out crappy products. Your fault. All of that you should come across on your PDI. You shouldn't have taken it off the lot in that condition. We bought a 2014 in Feb and the only thing done to it is all the mods I made & the improvements to it. What a well made product we have. Made sure of that before we signed to the signature line and drove off in it.
Life is fantastic & gettin
better every day
theasphaltrv'er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 07:12 AM   #4
SAABDOCTOR

FIRST OFF TO THE FORUM. Intersting that the post breaker is tripping not the one in the camper. Me thinks it is the camp grounds issue not keystone. I f you orderd a 50 amp you never should have signed the papers till you got what you paid for. the peeling wall paper and drawers are an issue and should be taken care of buy the dealer. How ever it is hard to think that you know all keystones are built poorly because you got one with issues. so i guess all fords chevys gmc and Dodges are junk because the have recalls and things that need to be fixed under warranty.It should be expected that we buy a product with out problems. but they are made by humans. and we all make mistakes. Most of us here look at the issues and decide is it worth the long haul back to the dealer or can we fix it and do a better job Again most of us fix it and post our results so others can benifit from it. As the staement on the bottom of the page says Keystone does not own or monitor this site. I hope you get your problems solved and can enjoy the camper. good luck.
2 RESCUE PUPS: SUSITNA AND CRYSTAL. RIP ALYESKA!
SAABDOCTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 08:45 AM   #5
JRTJH
Site Team

to the forum and "potentially" to Keystone RVing. From the sound of your post, you may not be a Keystone owner for long. That's certainly your choice. Whatever you choose to do, I wish you luck with your RV experiences.

To address a couple of your issues, I checked every drawer in my new trailer before I accepted it. Did you?

I looked at all the utilities to make sure they were serviceable. Did you?

I connected the trailer to electrical power (actually the dealership did) and I turned on all the appliances one at a time to find out what I could expect to operate simultaneously. Did you?

I inspected all the cabinets, wall coverings, checked how all the curtains opened and closed BEFORE I accepted the trailer. Did you?

I climbed on the roof and under the RV "just to look and check things out". Did you?

In closing, I've built (had built) 7 houses for personal use. Not one of them has been "flawless" and they all had a "punch list" of at least 2 pages of things that needed to be repaired/replaced/exchanged/repainted/thrown away before closing. Why would I expect a "mobile home" to be any different than a "stick built home" ? Do you?

Not once have I been afforded the luxury of buying a home, an RV, a car, truck, boat or ATV without having to "personalize it" tighten a few screws, push something back into place or make adjustments so it worked like I expected. Have you?

Don't blame Keystone for all of those issues, your dealership should have repaired all of those issues before you even arrived for the PDI and you should have identified the ones you're complaining about before you signed the contract and towed it home.

From your comments about having to take everything out of your existing trailer and put it in your new one, it sounds like the dealership (or Keystone) is exchanging your RV for another one. If that's true, I'd urge you to accept the PERSONAL responsibility of downloading the PDI located on this forum and using it to identify issues before you drag it home, spend $400 in gas and 9 hours of your time, only to get upset because someone else didn't do your "work".

Good Luck,

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 10:12 AM   #6
bsmith0404

Well I guess the welcome to the sight is probably a useless point. Based on past experience of people with similar first posts, after they see the responses from our members they typically don't come back.

I'm not here to defend Keystone and I'm not a Keystone exclusive customer. In fact I have owned Forest River, Jayco, and Keystone products and members of my family have as well. I buy an RV by what I like best and what fits my needs the best. I can tell you I have had problems with every brand at one point or another and have walked into many units sitting on dealership lots that I can see issues with as soon as I walk through the door. As other's have already stated, a good PDI before signing, handing over money, and driving away is your best safe guard. Obviously it's too late for that. Now the best course of action, IMO, fix what you can without too much effort and make an appointment with the dealership for what can't be fixed. It's getting late in the year so you may find it easier to live with a few problems and take it to a local dealer for warranty issues once their summer rush dies down.

BTW, did the RV come with a 50 amp cord or not? That's a pretty obvious one since the cords are drastically different.

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
2019 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
U.S. Air Force Retired (25 yrs)
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 11:21 AM   #7
kellydog98

What a terrible feeling to drive off and later find so much wrong with your rig. As you can tell here, many of us have either had the same experience or have guarded against it before letting the money exchange. Personally, I have found that being patient and finding a rig that's just right for me and is about 2yrs old is often best. Most of the 'bugs' were worked out with the original owner. lkalinejf jkfieli ownfuvhs sodfnefiof. Opps, must be the computers fault. Good Luck.

kellydog98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 03:03 PM   #8
therink

Welcome to the forum. Many folks join forums like this to research and gain advice before they make a major rv purchase. Some folks come here to vent when they feel they bought a lemon. Either way, welcome and hope your issues are resolved.
It sounds like this may be your first rv purchase? All rvs have problems right out of the factory, some more than others. As buyers, it is our job to research and not sign ownership paperwork unless the product we are buying in delivered as advertised.
I recommend downloading the PDI form from this forum, spending a few hours on your own and going through each and every item on your rig you are not satisfied with and then take that list to your dealer and schedule an appointment. You are under warranty so any reasonable requests should not be denied. A good working relationship with the dealer service dept is helpful, so don't lose your cool or it will be "No Soup for You" aka Soup Nazi on Seinfeld.
Good luck and I hope you check back and let us know how you made out.

2015 GMC Sierra Denali 3500HD, SRW, Duramax, CC, SB (payload 3700)

https://i1109.photobucket.com/albums/...65/340FBH1.jpg
therink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 04:16 PM   #9
greengiant

I think we've made our point

About that PDI, I just happen to be looking for it this morning to send to a friend who happens to be buying his first TT and picking it up Monday and it took me a bit to find it in the 'Keystone Questions' forum. Not that it was that hard, but just thinking: Would it make more sense to have it in the same forum as the 'New RV Owner Checklist' in the 'Prospective Owners' Forum?, or at least put the two of them together?

In any case, here's the link to the Pre-delivery inspection for mwohlford, hope it helps and good luck:

http://www.angelfire.com/trek/buenav...PDI_V113_2.pdf
greengiant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 04:25 PM   #10
Festus2
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by greengiant View Post

About that PDI, I just happen to be looking for it this morning to send to a friend who happens to be buying his first TT and picking it up Monday and it took me a bit to find it in the 'Keystone Questions' forum. Not that it was that hard, but just thinking: Would it make more sense to have it in the same forum as the 'New RV Owner Checklist' in the 'Prospective Owners' Forum?, or at least put the two of them together?

In any case, here's the link to the Pre-delivery inspection for mwohlford, hope it helps and good luck:

]
greengiant -
Yes, it just might be relocated to a more obvious location.
Thanks for the suggestion and will look into moving it......
Old 08-19-2014, 05:03 PM   #11
logspec1

Smile Not Happy....

Well if you haven't figured it out by now you are not going get any sympathy here. It doesn't appear that this was your first TT so you should know what to look for and to be honest you took possession with some pretty obvious problems. Shame on you. While it may be inconvient your dealer will help resolve these problems. I am on my third TT, my second Keystone and none have been perfect but I can say that the Keystone service has always been more than fair with me. Also, most of us with 30amp service use the gas for the water heater because we know when you add up the amps for everything else you go over 30.
5.0 V8 w/tow package
logspec1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 07:35 AM   #12
mwohlford

It's not the campground it had happened at several campgrounds so I put my amp meter on it to check the amperage draw. it is the camper design. It also looks like I failed to mention the metal shavings in the carpet ouch they really hurt when embedded in your feet. or the fact that when the sun shines on the side with the doors and the side heats up. it is very difficult to get the doors open. I just hope there isn't a fire where I need to get the door open in an emergency.
mwohlford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 04:45 PM   #13
Hoojs12840

Not very Happy with Keystone

Welcome. Mwohlford and thanks for introducing yourself properly. Sucks you are having issues. I've had a few and the dealer has been responsive and concerned so I'm doing fine with my a keystone product.

Regarding your concerns:

1. I could run a microwave convection oven, toaster, water heater and a/c while watching TV on my last RV that was 30 amp without issue. I'm not an electrician put it would be Reasonable to expect the same from yours. Sounds like the dealer is going to remedy that. Given the situation probably the best you can do.

2. As for the other stuff, yeah it sucks. What is nuts is the small amount of time and money it would take to get it right before it's shipped/sold. I personally hold Keystone and the dealer responsible since both spend impressive amounts of money advertising their "quality and longevity". All brands seem to have their issues so I don't think keystone is the worst, probably average in the field.

3. Contrary to opinion I don't think it's unreasonable to expect things to be right or be made right when your paying for something. (I have accepted there are some things I will have to handle on my own, but it's not "ok" by any means.)

Odd how a lot of advice on here is "you get more fly's with honey" when dealing with the dealer/keystone, but not when it comes to new members that may not have thought they needed to do their own PDI or repairs to a brand new vehicle.

Hope it works out for you and your family.

Jason

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hoojs12840 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 05:23 PM   #14
Ken / Claudia

Welcome, I promise I will not be buying a 2015 keystone. I am still happy with the 2013. But, I will promise I will spend as much time on the rv lot to make sure it's right before they get any of my money as in the past 3 of 9 rvs I have purchased. Whats not right gets written up on a work order. A full day at the dealer before the signing is alot better than what happens when you over looked or did not look at everything and test everything.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 05:36 PM   #15
Festus2
Site Team

Moved this thread

Please note that this thread has been move out of the New Member Check In and into the Keystone Service/Warranty Issues section of the forum.

The intended purpose of the New Member Check In is for new members to introduce themselves and for existing members to welcome them.

The thread began with a list of concerns by the OP followed by members' comments about these problems. It really has had little to do with "introductions and welcomes" - consequently it has been moved to a more appropriate category.
Old 08-20-2014, 06:55 PM   #16
mmikemitchell

Take it off the lot

Other posters are correct. You should not have taken a Keystone off the lot. I know I would never take another one off the lot. Quality is horrible.
mmikemitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 07:17 PM   #17
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmikemitchell View Post
Other posters are correct. You should not have taken a Keystone off the lot. I know I would never take another one off the lot. Quality is horrible.

Having worked on a variety of different brands of RV's, And now owning a Keystone I for one am VERY happy with the overall quality of their products. ALL brands will have some issues, even the $450,000.00 motor homes I work on.

Without calling out brands, Keystone does a lot better job than most. When we bought ours we shopped for 3 years, and even before I was a tech, I pored over the units we were considering. I had the chance to buy a larger unit for $15,000 less (different brand) but after only 10 minutes inside on the lot I could see the difference. Would I buy a Keystone again?

Without any hesitation. I was loyal to Fleetwood from '89 til '97 when I bought a Jayco. I wanted a new Jayco but couldn't find the right size in a weight I wanted. So again after a 3 year search we settled on our current rig. I was in that unit for a long time, looking at walls,screws, nails etc. it was PDI'd before we picked it up and fully demonstrated to us. I dare say it's built as good as my Jayco.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 05:25 AM   #18
outwest

Unless you buy from a mfg that does a complete custom build, all of the rvs are a bit slapped together. That's just the way it is, regardless of brand, unfortunately. The trick is finding a rig that has fewer issues than others by doing a complete and thorough inspection

2012 Keystone Vantage 32FLS
outwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 12:04 PM   #19
kreed61

Sorry to hear about you problems but you're not alone! We were first time buyers as of March this year. We had no clue what to expect or what to do and fully relied on the dealer to inform us of what to expect and told him we were "newbies". He never mentioned a "PDI" and I had never heard of one, apparently neither has he! It wasn't even de-winterized when we got it. I have my doubts as to whether he actually hooked anything up to test it. It was all closed up and road ready when we arrived, our walk thru was about 15 minutes and we were on the road. I'm a carpenter by trade and have been in business 12 years now as a residential remodeler so the set up and use of this rig was not totally out of my league, just a little different and something new to learn but still not "rocket science". BTW I rarely have a "punch list" from my customers as I am very picky and strive hard to provide very high quality. We have an A+ Gold Star rating with the BBB and highly reviewed with some of the "Contractor Locators" that you see around. We have had at least 15 items go wrong on just 5 trips. It's in the shop now for; landing gear not working, front cap/eyebrow led's burnt out and peeling off, storage compartment doors not staying closed during travel, rollers broke on bathroom door(not just off the track) and the rubber trim around the main door peeled off. The list goes on and that's just for this time and it's the 3rd time to the shop in 5 months. The last time in they just totally forgot an item, didn't even do it! It took another 2 1/2 weeks to get it done. I guess I went to the back of the list again. We are about to get Keystone involved to see if they can do anything. We're not feeling like "valued customers" at this point and very disappointed in our choice of dealer! Good luck with yours and wish us luck too!

kreed61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 12:33 PM   #20
Blueswede

I purchased my first Keystone this year, a 2015 Hideout. Aside from a few minor issues like cabinet door screws, we've had no problems with it. Got it in July and have spent 10 days out in it. I absolutely love the Keystone product. Is it the best out there? Probably not......is it the worst? Certainly not. Sorry you have some problems, but as others have mentioned, a lot could have been discovered during the PDI. I would certainly buy from them again. Just my opinion.....

Tags
2015, electrical, problems, quality, sg 303