Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone RV Customer Comments > Keystone RV Service & Warranty Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 12-18-2014, 06:38 PM   #1
coffee guy

keystone customer service

just picked u
up a new 2015 28sgs cougar x lite factory did not put in the kitchen counter extension. dealer ordered it for me and shipped everything to my house. so I called keystone today and asked if i could get a mounting diagram or some measurements where to mount all hardware, brackets ect. rep at keystone told me this info is not allowed to be given out. I replied that this is a silly answer and poor customer service. he didnt seem to care.a nice first start with keystone
coffee guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 08:11 PM   #2
Festus2
Site Team

Your best bet is to ask the dealer's service/repair department for advice as to where the kitchen counter extension is usually mounted in your particular model. There may also be some other similar models sitting on the lot that have the extension already installed that you can go into and have a look.

I'd place the extension if at all possible in a location that, when extended, it will not block or interfere with passage from one part of the RV to another.

In case you should ask, Keystone does not have any electrical, plumbing or any other schematics that are available for owners.
Old 12-18-2014, 08:50 PM   #3
KanTC

Although the Keystone website shows the (bracket) location in the 28SGS photos, none of the following 2015's show a kitchen counter extension -or- brackets installed.
It's not unusual for manufacturers to make changes [without notice] prior to the next model year production & the counter extension was likely omitted for 2015.

http://www.generalrv.com/product/new...28sgs-122150-5

http://www.rvtrader.com/listing/2015...8SGS-113642487

http://www.rvtrader.com/listing/2015...8SGS-112947330

http://www.rvtrader.com/listing/2015...8SGS-113520984

ON EDIT: See photos # 19 & 20 (for bracket location) on this 2014 28SGS ad

http://www.noblerv.com/rv/owatonna+m...ar+xlite+28sgs

Terri, the Chevy co-pilot
KanTC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 03:55 AM   #4
notanlines

Coffee guy, good luck with the proper mounting of the shelf. Also, welcome to the forum. And just a little advice: Always put that shelf in the DOWN position before traveling. It will keep from bending one of the brackets all to %&$#@. (Do I sound like the voice of experience?)
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 04:30 PM   #5
gearhead

I think the dealer ought to do it free.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 05:06 PM   #6
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearhead View Post
I think the dealer ought to do it free.
If the dealer did everything the factory didn't do for free, they wouldn't make much money... in this case did the customer ask for the parts to be shipped to him? We have shipped parts to customers for warranty replacement. We don't claim the labor allowed by the factory for removal/install.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 07:44 PM   #7
gearhead

The customer is shown a RV model with the understanding that the RV they are buying will be like the one shown. When the new RV arrives differently, the dealer should make it similar. Of course the dealer could refund all money on the deal and the customer could walk.
This is an incredible example of dealer arrogance and disregard for the customer.
All over a piece of formica worth so little.
They will eventually run out of first time customers and go out of business, hopefully.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 07:57 PM   #8
chuckster57
Site Team

O.P. s first post was directed at Keystone, not the selling dealer. Without all the facts, you can't automatically place the blame on the dealer.

Did coffee guy request the parts be shipped to his address?

If so, then the dealership is under NO obligation to install it. I agree that Keystone was a bit out of lone with their response, but there isn't any evidence that he (coffee guy) asked the dealer to install a missing component.

I am willing to bet that had this been the dealership I work at, we would have been glad to install the component and charge Keystone with the labor under warranty. We have requested warranty parts, have them shipped to the customer for "self install", and not claimed any warranty labor.

Okay... I'll set off my soapbox now, and have another cup of calming juice.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 09:42 AM   #9
vampress_me

Just a heads up for installation if the OP does it himself. He should double-check clearances before drilling holes since there are 2 types of extensions out there. One has the hinges, is permanently attached, and just flips up to use, the other actually has brackets to fit the extension into and then you find a place to store the extension when it's not in use. On the new 2015 x-lites, the end of the counter is more rounded than it was in the 2014's, so if it's the put-in-take-out bracket kind, you may need to mount it a little lower to get the clearance to insert/ take out the extension than with the folding version.

The counter extension is my favorite kitchen feature in our x-lite. When I looked at a new 2015 28rdb, I couldn't believe they took that out and just added an extra rounded edge. Took away a good feature, especially with the brackets you just fold it down when not in use and didn't have to find a place to store it. But, just my opinion.

2019 F-350 diesel 4x4 CC LB DRW, not the mom taxi anymore...
2021 Alliance Paradigm 340RL
2016 F-350 diesel 4x4 CC LB SRW, mom taxi - sold
2014 Cougar XLite 28RDB - sold
vampress_me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 10:32 AM   #10
sourdough
Site Team

Just a note on what's in the RV vs what you think should be there etc.;

When we bought our 2014 they did not have the invoice showing all the accessories. We got an excellent deal, loved the layout etc. so didn't worry too much about it. They did get it the day we were signing and we bought it. Upon reviewing the invoice I found we payed a lot of money for various upgrades. Some of which were upgraded swivel, rocker recliners (which were there) and an upgraded couch that had some sort of air mattress or something; an upgrade that cost about $658 if I recall. We did not have that couch.

I took the invoice to the GM of the dealership and expressed my desire to get the couch I had payed for. A very nice guy. He explained to me that it would be a Keystone issue. They changed things on the fly and what came in the RV is the way it was - he did not have a warehouse of various furniture pieces to just exchange furniture in the units. He said he would have to work with Keystone to see what could be done. That was a dead end because they said what was there is what I bought. The dealer then told me he would buy the couch for me but it would come straight out of his pocket (did I say he was a good guy?). After his explanation of how things worked and his willingness to go the mat for me I told him to forget it. I had already gotten a steal of a deal and the couch issue was between me and Keystone, not him. Anyway, later found that the couch I have is much nicer than the supposed "upgrade".

All that to illustrate that I think the OP is probably looking at a buyer vs Keystone issue instead of a buyer vs dealership. As I've found the RV manufacturer/dealer/buyer triangle can be very difficult to navigate at times.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote