Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Keystone Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 10-11-2010, 07:11 AM   #1
emax

new to RVing world

Hello all new to the forum and new the the RV world also in sept me and my wife went to the RV show in PA.We bought a 2011 keystone Laredo 303tg that we pick up in the spring my question to you guys is I have a 2010 dodge ram 1500 that can tow 9750 and the TT is 7350 do you guys think that i am pushing my limits with the weight and maybe cancel my order and go with something lighter any help would be great thanks Eric
emax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 07:52 AM   #2
Flyguy

The GVW of the Laredo 303TG is 8960#s as per the 2011 brochure, the empty weight is stated as being 7485#s as I see it you would be pulling over 90% of your towing capacity, I'm sure that it can be done with your TV but it would be at its limit! The 291TG would probably be a better candidate IMO with a GVW of 8200 and an empty weight of 6685, that's about 85% of your tow capacity! 80% would be better but 85% is close enough I guess.
Timbrens
Flyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 08:05 AM   #3
Festus2
Site Team

You might also want to visit this Dodge website. Here, you can see the towing capacities of all the various models of the Dodge 2010 trucks and the different options that are available -- cab size, tire size, drive train, etc. and see what your limits are:

http://www.dodge.com/bodybuilder/201...mlupseries.pdf

Hope this helps.
Old 10-11-2010, 01:03 PM   #4
emax

Quote:
Originally Posted by Festus2 View Post
You might also want to visit this Dodge website. Here, you can see the towing capacities of all the various models of the Dodge 2010 trucks and the different options that are available -- cab size, tire size, drive train, etc. and see what your limits are:

http://www.dodge.com/bodybuilder/201...mlupseries.pdf

Hope this helps.
Festus2 thanks for the input I already saw that and my TV can pull 9750 with that chart.
Old 10-11-2010, 01:16 PM   #5
emax

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyguy View Post
The GVW of the Laredo 303TG is 8960#s as per the 2011 brochure, the empty weight is stated as being 7485#s as I see it you would be pulling over 90% of your towing capacity, I'm sure that it can be done with your TV but it would be at its limit! The 291TG would probably be a better candidate IMO with a GVW of 8200 and an empty weight of 6685, that's about 85% of your tow capacity! 80% would be better but 85% is close enough I guess.
Thanks flyguy for the input but I need to ask why are you going by the gvw and not the dry weight I would never want to fill the TT to it limit and if I need to do 80% of the TV why wouldn't I do 80% of the TT. Also the TT that I looked At had a dry weight of 7350 and not 7485 well not sure what to do already bought the 303tg and i really like it how can i make it work with out buying a new TV
Old 10-11-2010, 01:43 PM   #6
Flyguy

Well your correct, you don't have to load it to max but you might be supprised at how fast the weight builds up that you put in a trailer, load it and then weigh it and see where you are, also keep in mind that published factory dry weights are often understated, many times it dosen't include the weight of the AC unit or the LP bottles or any fluids in the holding tanks and with a drained HW heater, you just have to weigh it to really find out what you have. Please don't get angry, I'm just trying to answer your questions!
Timbrens
Old 10-11-2010, 02:09 PM   #7
Festus2
Site Team

Flyguy is right when he says that "you might be surprised how fast the weight builds up that you put in a trailer". When we got our 5th wheel and loaded it for the first time, we weighed everything that went into it (and our truck) - everything! I weighed the hitches, the dog, food, full propane tanks, full H/W tank, etc. I also factored in the weight of a few gallons of fresh water in the FW tank. When we were finished, we were close to 1400 lbs.
We only take enough fresh water to get to the first campsite then either put some in there to last us ( if they have water nearby) or hook up to city water.
Lugging around a full tank of water doesn't make a lot of sense and adds considerable weight for your truck to pull.
If you say that you are okay at 9750 lbs....... your dry weight is 7350 and you add another 1500 lbs say... then you are close to 9000 lbs.
Old 10-11-2010, 02:39 PM   #8
emax

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyguy View Post
Well your correct, you don't have to load it to max but you might be surprised at how fast the weight builds up that you put in a trailer, load it and then weigh it and see where you are, also keep in mind that published factory dry weights are often understated, many times it doesn't include the weight of the AC unit or the LP bottles or any fluids in the holding tanks and with a drained HW heater, you just have to weigh it to really find out what you have. Please don't get angry, I'm just trying to answer your questions!
Thanks flyguy and festus2 I'm not angry at all just asking questions thanks for your help when i was at the RV show every TT that i looked at in the 6000 to 7000 rang the sale person would ask what type of TV do I have and when I told them they all brought me to the 7000 to 7500 lb TT and said i would not have any problems towing them. So I bought the one I liked. But I went there with the intention of buying something lighter and got talked into something heaver but much nicer.
Old 10-11-2010, 03:30 PM   #9
Flyguy

I don't think you'll have any trouble towing it, just watch the weights that you load into it. When the DW and I go camping I have about 1100#s that gets loaded into the trailer, this includes all my tools, holding tanks are empty except for putting about 6 gal into the fresh water tank and charging the potty, for us that's about 5600#s total of tow weight, the Passport truly is an ultra-lite. The best of luck to you Emax and if I didn't mention it, Welcome to the forum.
Timbrens
Old 10-12-2010, 11:44 PM   #10
CWtheMan

Here are the Keystone specs.

http://www.keystone-laredo.com/index...03TG&year=2011

Once you get it configured for camping I doubt you'll be able to keep it under 8K.

CW
CWtheMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 06:22 AM   #11
emax

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWtheMan View Post
Here are the Keystone specs.

http://www.keystone-laredo.com/index...03TG&year=2011

Once you get it configured for camping I doubt you'll be able to keep it under 8K.

CW
Thanks for the info.If I add 1000lbs I will be @ 8377 a that is still under my towing weight and gives me about 1300lbs to play with i know its not much but i am not over.